Totem Kin and Denon 2113ci, good match? or How to match speakers to a receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Totem Kin and Denon 2113ci, good match? or How to match speakers to a receiver?

I currently have the Denon 2113ci avr receiver and looking at buying the Totem Kin in wall speakers. How do you know if they will be a good match (power wise) or if you need an amplifier? The avr is rated at 95 watts per channel and the speakers are rated at 100 watts. But will the receiver have enough power? The ohms are rated differently (8 ohm receiver, 6 ohm speakers) and the frequency responses are different as well (20 Hz- 20 kHz receiver, 67 Hz- 40 kHz speakers). Apologies if I am asking a stupid question or doing an apples to orange type comparison.

Appreciate any guidance on trying to match speakers to receiver as well.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 400
The Denon has plenty of power for your speakers. You wont use anywhere near 95 watts unless you have a massive room. The Totem Kin inwall speakers have a sensitivity of 91db or 92db so they're very easy to drive. Doesn't take much power to get them loud.

You can't add an external amp to the Denon 2113 anyway...

Afro GT
post #3 of 6 Old 08-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavMcGee View Post
I currently have the Denon 2113ci avr receiver and looking at buying the Totem Kin in wall speakers. How do you know if they will be a good match (power wise) or if you need an amplifier? The avr is rated at 95 watts per channel and the speakers are rated at 100 watts. But will the receiver have enough power? The ohms are rated differently (8 ohm receiver, 6 ohm speakers) and the frequency responses are different as well (20 Hz- 20 kHz receiver, 67 Hz- 40 kHz speakers). Apologies if I am asking a stupid question or doing an apples to orange type comparison.

Appreciate any guidance on trying to match speakers to receiver as well.
Thanks!
Those speakers are 91 dB efficiency. Unless you are going to really crank it up, you should be fine with that receiver. That said, many manufacturers are not very truthful regarding their actual power capabilities (not accusing Denon specifically, it's an industry-wide issue) when all channels are driven, so the proof will be in the using....
JavMcGee likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-06-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Do it now, Totem makes the best architectural speakers on the market IMPO... You'll love it.
JavMcGee likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-06-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavMcGee View Post
I currently have the Denon 2113ci avr receiver and looking at buying the Totem Kin in wall speakers. How do you know if they will be a good match (power wise) or if you need an amplifier?

The avr is rated at 95 watts per channel and the speakers are rated at 100 watts. But will the receiver have enough power? The ohms are rated differently (8 ohm receiver, 6 ohm speakers) and the frequency responses are different as well (20 Hz- 20 kHz receiver, 67 Hz- 40 kHz speakers). Apologies if I am asking a stupid question or doing an apples to orange type comparison.
You stated the question well - all the info needed to answer.

Others discussed the sensitivity of your speakers - in case you don't understand speaker sensitivity, your speakers will reach a volume of 91dB at 1 meter with 2.83v input (1 watt assuming 8 ohms) - that is really loud for a 1 watt input and your AVR will barely break a sweat event at very loud listening levels.

The other part of your question was the power and impedance rating. As long as the average power you sent to your speaker doesn't exceed its rated power you will be fine - and that is average which could include much higher peak levels. With speakers that sensitive, you will most likely not be using more than 5 - 10 watts. Here is a SPL calculator you can play with:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Your AVR is rated 95W at 8 Ohms / 125W at 6 Ohms for all channels - the fact that your AVR has a 6 Ohm rating indicates that is rated to drive 6 Ohm speakers. Even if it wasn't rated to drive them, it would anyway (especially because it is a Denon) but it might get hot and shut down. If you have any worries about load impedance, you should consider the ventilation to your AVR and just watch how hot it gets. Your speakers are rated at 6 Ohms, but they also make an additional comment "Easy impedance 6 ohm load (8 ohm in woofer range)" which means that only the low current part of the speakers driver array (probably the mids and tweeters) dip to 6 Ohms and the woofers (which require more current to drive) are closer to 8 ohms.

No problems here, they are very well matched - enjoy your new speakers. I've never heard Totem speakers and didn't even know they had fully enclosed in-wall speakers - wish I could hear what they sound like!
JavMcGee likes this.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #6 of 6 Old 08-06-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the responses everyone! I think this is going to be my new set up and finalizing with the installers tomorrow!
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread - 2113ci, by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page