Arrangement Problem in New Home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
AllTheLights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arrangement Problem in New Home

We just moved into a new home that has a bit of a tighter layout in the main living area compared to the apartment we came from. Luckily the house came with 2 in ceiling speakers that will allow me to still maintain a surround setup (I was worried there would be no place for rears). The problem is that the speakers are to close together with respect to the wall where the tv would be mounted. Centering the tv would not be the best use of the room space and will move the tv pretty close to a window but it could be workable.

The question is, is it really bad if the tv can't be centered? Do we have to sacrifice surround for the sake of furniture placement? (the horror!)

Also I was using Klipsch reference speakers before but they are a little big for the space and have been banished to the basement (this is a gaf/waf driven item). I am going to be in the market for something sleeker with a better form factor. What are the recommended on-wall/small form/soundbar options?
AllTheLights is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,661
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 458
I would probably just forego the surrounds unless you can move them and get the old holes patched up. It will not sound as good sitting off-axis like that.

Regarding on-walls, take a look at DefTech. Their ProCinema speakers sound pretty good, or if you can step up to the Mythos line, they would give you good sound.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
AllTheLights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I would probably just forego the surrounds unless you can move them and get the old holes patched up. It will not sound as good sitting off-axis like that.

Regarding on-walls, take a look at DefTech. Their ProCinema speakers sound pretty good, or if you can step up to the Mythos line, they would give you good sound.
Thanks for the advice. I could still use the ceiling speakers for general music playing when we have people over so they won't go to complete waste.

I will take a look at the DefTech products. Maybe as a trade off for no surround I could invest a little extra on the front setup.

I guess I'll have to finish the basement at some point after all
AllTheLights is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 08-08-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,661
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheLights View Post
Thanks for the advice. I could still use the ceiling speakers for general music playing when we have people over so they won't go to complete waste.

I will take a look at the DefTech products. Maybe as a trade off for no surround I could invest a little extra on the front setup.

I guess I'll have to finish the basement at some point after all
Yeah they would be fine for background music. See if you any audio dealers in the area, Best Buy Magnolia also carries a decent selection, but it's good to hear what you are buying beforehand.

And having a dedicated space would be excellent

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 08-31-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
AllTheLights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Yeah they would be fine for background music. See if you any audio dealers in the area, Best Buy Magnolia also carries a decent selection, but it's good to hear what you are buying beforehand.

And having a dedicated space would be excellent
So I've taken a look around and as it stands I think there are 3 basic options I'm going to look at, in order of least to most expensive.

Option 1:
- Re-use my Klipsch RC-62 I center channel
- Buy new Klipsch RB-61 II bookshelf speakers for the left and right
This is the most cost effective option and would give us the sound/volume we are used to but is the least sleek of the 3.

Option 2:
- Buy Def Tech Mythos SSA-50 soundbar to either act as LCR or provide simulated surround is the in-ceilings don't work out.
- Buy new sub to compensate for soundbar's lack of bass
This is the option being pushed by my local A/V dealer as it sounds good and looks good. I don't really know how the performance will compare to the Klipsch setup since the speakers are much small and not as efficient.

Option 3:
- Buy Def Tech Mythos 7 for center channel and Mythos 6 for left and right. Likely will need a new sub as well.
Mix of the two looks, small sleek speakers but separate for that balanced look around the tv.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions? I think my girlfriend prefers option 2 from a looks perspective but she is open to all 3. I want to make sure that if I spend some money now, that it performs well compared to my old RC-62/RF-62 front setup.
AllTheLights is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheLights View Post
So I've taken a look around and as it stands I think there are 3 basic options I'm going to look at, in order of least to most expensive.

Option 1:
- Re-use my Klipsch RC-62 I center channel
- Buy new Klipsch RB-61 II bookshelf speakers for the left and right
This is the most cost effective option and would give us the sound/volume we are used to but is the least sleek of the 3.

Option 2:
- Buy Def Tech Mythos SSA-50 soundbar to either act as LCR or provide simulated surround is the in-ceilings don't work out.
- Buy new sub to compensate for soundbar's lack of bass
This is the option being pushed by my local A/V dealer as it sounds good and looks good. I don't really know how the performance will compare to the Klipsch setup since the speakers are much small and not as efficient.

Option 3:
- Buy Def Tech Mythos 7 for center channel and Mythos 6 for left and right. Likely will need a new sub as well.
Mix of the two looks, small sleek speakers but separate for that balanced look around the tv.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions? I think my girlfriend prefers option 2 from a looks perspective but she is open to all 3. I want to make sure that if I spend some money now, that it performs well compared to my old RC-62/RF-62 front setup.
Option 1, not only it will be the best sounding one, it is also the cheapest.
As a disclamer, I am not a big fan of Klipsch (on the bright side for my taste) but I am positive that they are far better than any soundbar.

You can always put those RB-61 II on each side of your monitor on a stand.
That way you have good sound and can be place anyway you place your monitor in your room.

For the surronds, I would need to see pics/diagram of your room and how you intend to set-up your monitor and furnitures.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
darthray is online now  
post #7 of 7 Old 08-31-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Forgot to mention, since option 1 is the cheapest that would leave you more $ to buy a sub if you chouse to do so

No need to buy a sub right away, start with LCR and then decided if you want to fill the low end.

Hope this help a little

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
darthray is online now  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off