• 1 Post By cel4145

post #1 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speaker Build help.

Hello,
This is my first time on this forum some aspects on my 2nd time build would be greatly appreciated.

My first setup, was Polk Monitor series 75T... Um dunno what it was about this speaker, but it wasn't doing me any justice I put it in a lot of areas in my room.. Amazingly it actually sounded best smashed up in the corner of my room.

So I decided to be done all together with them sold them online.. Lost $20 on what I paid for them.
Was powering them with a cheap amp that came from Sony sold that as well.

But now being as close it is to my birthday, I'm ready to try to get some great advice who have been through the ups and downs that have heard better speakers.

But on a kinda bad budget of $1500-$1600 my goal is to possibly have to kick ass towers and a subwoofer... And if I'm lucky some rears.. But think that might be cutting it on this budget.

Going into a 20Lx21Wx8H room, has a entry door and 3 windows.
I listen to some pretty classical rock,Country,Jazz, and good vocal music with drums,Acoustic guitar,pianos,Saxophone.

Really looking for something life like I can listen to for hours and close my eyes after a long day and will sooth me.
Not all up in your face sort of music but decent sound at loud volumes in case I have guests over.

I watch some action packed movies as well, that is why I was leaning towards the subwoofer, But most I've experienced have this strange hollowed out sound like the port hole is not correct for the product and distorted half way up.

Would like this hooked up to my Home Computer, through Optical cable.
As to I have a pretty nice motherboard with sound card aboard.

Please let me know if this is all possible with as low as I am working with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 334
$1500 is cutting it close for towers and a subwoofer, which reminds me … if you are planning on a sub, why go to the extra expense for towers? Why not a nice set of bookshelf speakers on speaker stands? And does your budget include a receiver or AVR? Your room volume indicates to me that either one excellent sub or two very good subs would be needed. That doesn't come cheap.

For more information on what you may need, read cel's FAQ: Basic Speaker Setup FAQ
PassiveRaditor likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
2 decent speakers, and a sub, are definitely doable with your budget. What's unclear from your post is how you're going to power them. Do you have an amp, or avr? Are you planning on driving them with your PC, in which case you'll need active (powered) speakers.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for replying Sir's

I have a Onkyo TX-SR507, that was given to me but never used still sealed lol... Not sure if I should keep it or just hawk it.. but I liked to have something better, if not now later on...

I prefer towers because I like the size, bookshelf speakers just seem kinda small compared to my room size.

I'm not talking bad about bookshelf speakers, I know they can get pretty loud from some of my experiences.

I'd like to have decent speakers over the sub.. I don't mind so much on the sub because I can shut it off when I don't need it.
I just don't want a hollow sound from it.

It doesn't need to be the baddest thing out there that goes down to 8hz.
I'm not entirely sure if humans can even hear that low.. I think my pet owl could though lol
post #5 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassiveRaditor View Post
Hello,
This is my first time on this forum some aspects on my 2nd time build would be greatly appreciated.

My first setup, was Polk Monitor series 75T... Um dunno what it was about this speaker, but it wasn't doing me any justice I put it in a lot of areas in my room.. Amazingly it actually sounded best smashed up in the corner of my room.

So I decided to be done all together with them sold them online.. Lost $20 on what I paid for them.
Was powering them with a cheap amp that came from Sony sold that as well.

But now being as close it is to my birthday, I'm ready to try to get some great advice who have been through the ups and downs that have heard better speakers.

But on a kinda bad budget of $1500-$1600 my goal is to possibly have to kick ass towers and a subwoofer... And if I'm lucky some rears.. But think that might be cutting it on this budget.

Going into a 20Lx21Wx8H room, has a entry door and 3 windows.
I listen to some pretty classical rock,Country,Jazz, and good vocal music with drums,Acoustic guitar,pianos,Saxophone.

Really looking for something life like I can listen to for hours and close my eyes after a long day and will sooth me.
Not all up in your face sort of music but decent sound at loud volumes in case I have guests over.

I watch some action packed movies as well, that is why I was leaning towards the subwoofer, But most I've experienced have this strange hollowed out sound like the port hole is not correct for the product and distorted half way up.

Would like this hooked up to my Home Computer, through Optical cable.
As to I have a pretty nice motherboard with sound card aboard.

Please let me know if this is all possible with as low as I am working with.
For my sugestions, you need a receiver to power your main.

A sub something like this but there lots of other good offering.
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-2000

Then decsent bookshelf (you do not realy need towers since the sub will take care of the low end).
Something like these or other.
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...kshelf-speaker

$1500 + a cheap receiver

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #6 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
For my sugestions, you need a receiver to power your main.

A sub something like this but there lots of other good offering.
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-2000

Then decsent bookshelf (you do not realy need towers since the sub will take care of the low end).
Something like these or other.
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...kshelf-speaker

$1500 + a cheap receiver

Ray
I don't wanna spend that for a sub that I'll only use when I watch movies mostly.
Mostly care about the the highs and mids and wanting to choose towers over bookshelves cause of my low budget.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'd say keep the receiver you have.

Buy two of these
http://emptek.com/e55ti.php

Two of these
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--300-634

Buy one of these for your center channeling.
http://emptek.com/e56ci.php

I choose EMP for you cause they're not a bright speaker and still carry deep solid neutral notes.
Anything below the 40hz range your Daytons will cover.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for replying Sir's

I have a Onkyo TX-SR507, that was given to me but never used still sealed lol... Not sure if I should keep it or just hawk it.. but I liked to have something better, if not now later on...

I prefer towers because I like the size, bookshelf speakers just seem kinda small compared to my room size.

I'm not talking bad about bookshelf speakers, I know they can get pretty loud from some of my experiences.

I'd like to have decent speakers over the sub.. I don't mind so much on the sub because I can shut it off when I don't need it.
I just don't want a hollow sound from it.

It doesn't need to be the baddest thing out there that goes down to 8hz.
I'm not entirely sure if humans can even hear that low.. I think my pet owl could though lol
If you think your Polk Monitor 75 Ts are hollow, it might be your room acoustics and/or where they were placed in relationship to your seating position. So, no matter what you get, you may need to treat the room. Of course, the Polk just may not be that good of a tower (but quite a few people seemed to like them). Your room is considered large (between 3,000 and 5,000 cu. ft.), so a very good sub with excellent output should be high on your list.

I understand that you want towers. I'm a tower guy myself. But even extremely expensive towers need a subwoofer. Many will say it's not important for music, but I disagree. There is a lot more low frequencies being inserted into modern tracks these days, along with different synthesizers and pipe organs, most towers simply can't get low enough for you to hear or feel them. Plus a subwoofer will add some substance and detail to the music you normally listen to. I added a subwoofer to my towers and it made a significant difference. I heard notes that I never knew existed. That is why I suggest that you audition some good bookshelf speakers as well. Many will surprise you, and coupled with a powerful sub will enhance the music to a surprising degree. And for movies, a sub is pretty much mandatory. Obviously, the choice is yours to make, but I would respectfully suggest you just don't ignore what good bookshelf speakers are capable of. That way you can spend the necessary money on a quality sub that can do justice for both music and movies.

I'll let the rest of the folks here guide you on good full range speakers. I'm sure there are plenty out there in your price range. And if you see any that interest you, then make sure you audition them before you buy.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:

Stop. Forget about speakers for the moment. Order an LFM-1 EX. I think it is only on sale for $599 shipped for another day or two. You would be VERY impressed with how it performs.

Here is a review of the EX: http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html
You could go down to BestBuy and spend twice as much and not get a better subwoofer. If you miss this sale, you'll have to spend at least $700 or $800 to get something comparable (there are other good Internet subwoofer vendors).
dsrussell likes this.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #10 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtissp View Post
I'd say keep the receiver you have.

Buy two of these
http://emptek.com/e55ti.php

Two of these
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--300-634

Buy one of these for your center channeling.
http://emptek.com/e56ci.php

I choose EMP for you cause they're not a bright speaker and still carry deep solid neutral notes.
Anything below the 40hz range your Daytons will cover.
I may not agree with your sub choice, but your speaker choice is very interesting. The O.P. should also understand that EMP Tek has a 30-day in-home trial period, so the O.P. can try them out, however, return shipping charges are on the customer.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
I may not agree with your sub choice, but your speaker choice is very interesting. The O.P. should also understand that EMP Tek has a 30-day in-home trial period, so the O.P. can try them out, however, return shipping charges are on the customer.
I don't like the sub either but seems he has a lot of area to fill and 15's will cover it.

Did you not read anything he is saying ?? he don't care about the sub just using it for movies....
And he is on a budget, expand the budget and will get better equipment.
If it was me I'd go with the Outlaw sub seems to be a really good deal and is on sale right now.
Which the Outlaw sub is more spendy reasons.. cause it hits low HZ frequency's.
The Daytons can't but most of those low hz you can't hear only feel.
post #12 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually, sounds like he has had bad sub experiences. An Outlaw would change that.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtissp View Post
Did you not read anything he is saying ??
Actually, I read everything he was saying.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
I don't wanna spend that for a sub that I'll only use when I watch movies mostly.
Mostly care about the the highs and mids and wanting to choose towers over bookshelves cause of my low budget.
Look at the MB Quart tower speakers - good pricing, and sold each

http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-s1pb-si...o_alexxa?pp=25

That leaves money in the budget, for a good Outlaw subwoofer

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #15 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Keep your current avr, as it will suffice for now. Try not to scrimp on the subwoofer, as it's more important than you think. You've got some good recommendations for subs. You could also look at Hsu subs, and perhaps their speakers as well. At $500 for a sub, and $1000 for a pair of speakers you should do quite nicely.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Not really seeking a really strong subwoofer.
just something average..

I really like this EMP line and the prices seem reasonable.
But I heard there are "White Van Speakers" out there...
Can anyone vouch these???
post #17 of 20 Old 08-06-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Not really seeking a really strong subwoofer.
just something average..

My experience with them..
Bad things first, they lack highs, some of the mid range is missing anything below 40hz you wont hear need a sub.

Good things very laid back sound, sounds like a live performance, something you can listen to for long periods of time without getting a headache and plays really loud in movies and in music.

I favor these as being more musical than movies.
Also they offer the 30 day trial.

NO way are these white van speakers!!! I dunno if you ever heard of RBH sound or not but some of the people who worked their went there separate ways and opened up their own speaker line based off of RBH design methods and cabinet bracing of their speaker line.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
We don't recommend white van speakers to other people on AVS.

If you want to find out more about what AVS members have to say about a particular speaker, a quick google search with the make/model and "AVS" would reveal a lot of discussion for you.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #19 of 20 Old 08-07-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
We don't recommend white van speakers to other people on AVS.

If you want to find out more about what AVS members have to say about a particular speaker, a quick google search with the make/model and "AVS" would reveal a lot of discussion for you.
+1 As an EMP owner I definitely recommend them! Excellent sound and far from "white van" speakers.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #20 of 20 Old 08-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
If you do not want a sub, I understand.
By the way, a well integrated sub with bookshelf can sound very good and yes I do own towers. I would not recomanded bookshelf with sub, if I did not beleive in my sugestion.

That said, there was lots of good sugestions.
But will add to the fire for another choice.
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
Me, I got these (the little brother of mine).
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker

More than happy with mine!
A word of advice is to do lots of reading before making a decison (reviews, personal and pros).

Happy hunting and hopefully your are happy with your decision.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page