AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Buying speakers for home theater! (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1633417-buying-speakers-home-theater.html)

marioafl 08-06-2014 09:36 PM

Buying speakers for home theater!
 
Ok so i have been looking for a good 5.0 set of speakers for my home theater and so far im zeroed in on the:

Polk Audio RTiA7 High Performance Floorstanding Loudspeaker - Pair (Black)
Polk Audio RTiA3 High Performance Bookshelf Loudspeakers with 6 1/2" Driver - Pair (Black)
Polk Audio CSiA6 High Performance Center Channel Speaker - Each (Black)

My receiver is the Sony STR-DH540 5.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver 725 Watt Receiver and i have two bic america f12 subwoofers. What i want to know is if these speakers are good for listening to music and watching movies ? also is this receiver powerful enough to run everything ? can i get an external amp or something that i can connect to my reciever to boost the output power ?also my budget is about $1200. So guys let me know if im on the right track thank you.

postrokfan 08-06-2014 10:00 PM

You need to audition to determine if these are the speakers for you. What I can say is that the RTiA7s are a significant step above Polk's value line. Also, your budget receiver does not have pre-outs so you can't add an external amp. The Polks are fairly efficient however so an external amp isn't really necessary unless your listening space is cavernous.

marioafl 08-06-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by postrokfan (Post 26358561)
You need to audition to determine if these are the speakers for you. What I can say is that the RTiA7s are a significant step above Polk's value line. Also, your budget receiver does not have pre-outs so you can't add an external amp. The Polks are fairly efficient however so an external amp isn't really necessary unless your listening space is cavernous.

What receiver would you recommend for under $500?

postrokfan 08-06-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marioafl (Post 26358769)
What receiver would you recommend for under $500?

Do you still want pre-outs? You will most likely need to go refurbished in that price range.

crn3371 08-06-2014 10:27 PM

No specific recommendation (although I'm partial to Yamaha). I would suggest looking for a closeout, open box, or refurb on last years model. The only reason I'd look for a new model would be for future proofing (Dolby Atmos, 4k, etc). Something with pre outs would give you the ability to add an external amp.

curtissp 08-06-2014 10:47 PM

Like everyone has told you in the other threads you need to get a better receiver if you're going to power a mid range to high performance speakers.

You can have the best fastest car in the world but if you don't have a smart driver that knows how to race what he is tuning then they'll be useless.

(Rules to live by best to over power a speaker then under power it.)

marioafl 08-07-2014 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtissp (Post 26359161)
Like everyone has told you in the other threads you need to get a better receiver if you're going to power a mid range to high performance speakers.

You can have the best fastest car in the world but if you don't have a smart driver that knows how to race what he is tuning then they'll be useless.

(Rules to live by best to over power a speaker then under power it.)

what receivers do you recommend ?

Transmaniacon 08-07-2014 05:05 AM

You don't need an external amp unless you finding yourself needing more volume. How far away would you be sitting from these speakers? One good thing to consider is buying the previous RTi, not RTiA, series from Polks official Ebay store. You get them brand new with a warranty, and the speakers are essentially the same. With the savings, you could get yourself a receiver with pre-outs (just in case).

RTi10: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-R...item540cc7e549
CSi5: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-C...item5407478d62
RTi6: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-R...item5afe4d20ec

Receiver: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

You can also go with the bigger RTi12 if you want.

postrokfan 08-07-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transmaniacon (Post 26361801)
You don't need an external amp unless you finding yourself needing more volume. How far away would you be sitting from these speakers? One good thing to consider is buying the previous RTi, not RTiA, series from Polks official Ebay store. You get them brand new with a warranty, and the speakers are essentially the same. With the savings, you could get yourself a receiver with pre-outs (just in case).

RTi10: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-R...item540cc7e549
CSi5: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-C...item5407478d62
RTi6: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-R...item5afe4d20ec

Receiver: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

You can also go with the bigger RTi12 if you want.

The Marantz SR5008 would be an excellent choice. And, I agree an external amp would not be necessary to power the Polks unless the listening space is huge.

mtn-tech 08-07-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transmaniacon (Post 26361801)
One good thing to consider is buying the previous RTi, not RTiA, series from Polks official Ebay store. You get them brand new with a warranty, and the speakers are essentially the same. With the savings, you could get yourself a receiver with pre-outs (just in case).

Great idea - I really liked the previous the RTi version - very well built speakers. These speakers are quite sensitive so it won't take a lot of power to drive them to very loud levels - with sensitive speakers you might want an external amp but you won't need one.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.