Thought I'd Share My Experience With Emptek e55ti and Philharmonitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By richabi
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By postrokfan
  • 1 Post By RicardoJoa
  • 1 Post By Elihawk

post #1 of 16 Old 08-09-2014, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thought I'd Share My Experience With Emptek e55ti and Philharmonitor

Hey guys,
I had the chance to BRIEFLY listen to these two speakers. I was sharing this with Jim Wilson and figured i would share with AVS.

Both are great. Now, I must admit, the room wasn't the best place to audition- tile floors, bare walls, balcony windows behind the speakers. However, I did notice some interesting characteristics of each speaker. We weren't using any high quality sources.. he was streaming from the best of youtube. I am no pro nor have a lot of experience so this is just raw judgement, take it as you will. I know not everyone would hear the same or agree but I figured it still would be nice to share and add this to the community.

The emp alone sounded nice. Soundstage was huge. It was fast and accurate. Clear, articulate...all The qualities of solid sounds someone would expect. It sounded no different than what was expected of quality speakers. If you had a bunch set up all over, I would say the room would sound like a movie theater without the low end.

I can tell when played separately, the Philharmonic bookshelf has this extra dimension to the mid mid/upper. It almost pulls sounds or effects you normally wouldn't hear to the front. Almost as surround speakers would do... Maybe it was the effect of imaging with ribbon tweeter? As I mentioned before, some ears might find that soundstage cluttered or annoying. I really enjoyed their dynamicsit for the brief time I had with them. I needed more time and diff samples with them to give a more thorough explanation though.

When played along side the emp, I couldn't even hear The Phils and honestly the "impressive" sounds I was hearing I initiatly thought were coming from the Phils but it was coming from the emp. The sound from emps enveloped the. phils soundstage. I even unplugged the phils and it sounded no different (that is how I realized the "impressive" sounds were coming from the emps). Don't mistaken me, the philharmonitors were impressive. I liked them both. Some people would prefer speaker A, some speaker B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-09-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 500
^^ Very interesting thoughts, richabi. I love to hear what people think when they audition speakers. Thank you for sharing!
post #3 of 16 Old 08-09-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 537
richabi - My Experience With Emptek e55ti and Philharmonitor
"When played along side the emp, I couldn't even hear The Phils and honestly the "impressive" sounds I was hearing I initiatly thought were coming from the Phils but it was coming from the emp. The sound from emps enveloped the. phils soundstage. I even unplugged the phils and it sounded no different (that is how I realized the "impressive" sounds were coming from the emps). Don't mistaken me, the philharmonitors were impressive. I liked them both. Some people would prefer speaker A, some speaker B"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are comparing a tower with 6 drivers - against a 2 driver bookshelf speaker.

The tower has more range and cone radiation area - it should throw a bigger soundstage.

It would be interesting to see/hear how the EMP bookshelf, fares against the Philharmonitors.
darthray likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-10-2014 at 12:14 AM.
post #4 of 16 Old 08-10-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by richabi View Post
When played along side the emp, I couldn't even hear The Phils and honestly the "impressive" sounds I was hearing I initiatly thought were coming from the Phils but it was coming from the emp. The sound from emps enveloped the. phils soundstage. I even unplugged the phils and it sounded no different (that is how I realized the "impressive" sounds were coming from the emps). Don't mistaken me, the philharmonitors were impressive. I liked them both. Some people would prefer speaker A, some speaker B
You were playing them simultaneously, side by side?
post #5 of 16 Old 08-10-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
richabi - My Experience With Emptek e55ti and Philharmonitor
"When played along side the emp, I couldn't even hear The Phils and honestly the "impressive" sounds I was hearing I initiatly thought were coming from the Phils but it was coming from the emp. The sound from emps enveloped the. phils soundstage. I even unplugged the phils and it sounded no different (that is how I realized the "impressive" sounds were coming from the emps). Don't mistaken me, the philharmonitors were impressive. I liked them both. Some people would prefer speaker A, some speaker B"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are comparing a tower with 6 drivers - against a 2 driver bookshelf speaker.

The tower has more range and cone radiation area - it should throw a bigger soundstage.

It would be interesting to see/hear how the EMP bookshelf, fares against the Philharmonitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post
You were playing them simultaneously, side by side?
First thanks for sharing your tought.

I agree to compare a tower to a bookshelf is not a fair comparisation.
Did you account for the difference sensitivity between the 2 brands, a few Db sensitive can make a big difference of how you perceive the sound.

By the way, welcome to the club where you learn a few things about audio from each other.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live

Last edited by darthray; 08-10-2014 at 07:52 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Hi. I've never heard the Empteks, so I really don't know which is the better speaker. I'm only posting because I don't understand the second part of your listening session. It sounds like you were listening to them at the same time. If so, then the towers were probably significantly more sensitive than the Philharmonitors, which need to trade off sensitivity to achieve extended bass response from a small cabinet. Under those circumstances, the predominant sonic signature would be that of the towers. Perhaps you could elaborate a little on just how you were auditioning the speakers after the initial round of individual trials. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
First thanks for sharing your tought.

I agree to compare a tower to a bookshelf is not a fair comparisation.
Did you account for the difference sensitivity between the 2 brands, a few Db sensitive can make a big difference of how you perceive the sound.

By the way, welcome to the club where you learn a few things about audio from each other.

Ray
post #7 of 16 Old 08-10-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Hi. I've never heard the Empteks, so I really don't know which is the better speaker. I'm only posting because I don't understand the second part of your listening session. It sounds like you were listening to them at the same time. If so, then the towers were probably significantly more sensitive than the Philharmonitors, which need to trade off sensitivity to achieve extended bass response from a small cabinet. Under those circumstances, the predominant sonic signature would be that of the towers. Perhaps you could elaborate a little on just how you were auditioning the speakers after the initial round of individual trials. Thanks.
I don't quit get why you quote me, as agree or disagre

I was posting to the OP and pointing out that towers should be compare to towers.
And bookshelf should be compare to bookshelf.
Also during evalution, the speakers should be match at the same level, for fair evalution.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #8 of 16 Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I don't quit get why you quote me, as agree or disagre

I was posting to the OP and pointing out that towers should be compare to towers.
And bookshelf should be compare to bookshelf.
Also during evalution, the speakers should be match at the same level, for fair evalution.

Ray
I think he meant to address the OP and perhaps misquoted.
darthray likes this.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #9 of 16 Old 08-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looks like Dennis misquoted by rush dont worry Ray.

Sound like Dennis is in agreement that different sensitivity is the issue in this comparo.
darthray likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-10-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
Looks like Dennis misquoted by rush dont worry Ray.

Sound like Dennis is in agreement that different sensitivity is the issue in this comparo.

I'm old. I mess stuff up. Yes, I meant to address the OP. I'm still puzzled as to the exact experiment. I don't see the point in playing both pairs of speakers at the same time, so perhaps that's not what the OP meant.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hey guys.

Yeah, I'm aware the consequences of playing a tower and bookshelf simultaneously. I just did it for fun. I listened to both speakers independently so I got curious and wondered if I Could hear the phils difference in sound if both we're played simultaneously. I wanted to give you guys full disclosure of my experience. That's how to start a new relationship off right... right?

Btw, The avr was denon x4000.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-11-2014, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by richabi View Post
Hey guys.

Yeah, I'm aware the consequences of playing a tower and bookshelf simultaneously. I just did it for fun. I listened to both speakers independently so I got curious and wondered if I Could hear the phils difference in sound if both we're played simultaneously. I wanted to give you guys full disclosure of my experience. That's how to start a new relationship off right... right?

Btw, The avr was denon x4000.

I wouldnt be suprised the emp enveloped the phils. The greater sensitivity will be more apparent in a refective room like one you discribed.
The soundstage of a stereo should be up front and not a sensation of surround sound.

I cant say which speaker is better, but for hometheather, the greater sensitivity may have an edge over the phils specially when using moderate receiver power. For music, i will go with Dennis stuff.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
+1, this would be a more relevant comparison. This is a great shootout that compares the EMPs with some more high-end towers, including the Phil 2s. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...lharmonic.html

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #14 of 16 Old 08-11-2014, 06:04 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 830
The Philharmonitors and the EMP have about the same sensitivity - 87db. I own both the E55 towers and the E5 bookshelf speakers. If we ignore the bass since the bookshelf speakers don't have any woofers the major difference is in the midrange. The E55 is a 3 way system with an MTM arrangement while the E5 has one of each of the same mid and tweeter in a two way design.

The E55 is known for its glorious midrange and deserves kudos for it. it is a tad weak in the tweeter and the bass sounds great but doesn't extend very low. I went through the trouble of changing to a more sensitive tweeter from Morel to resolve that issue and I use a 15" subwoofer to support the bass on the towers and the result is pretty much high end sound. It is crazy to make serious comparisons with speakers I owned years ago but I feel confident most people would prefer the modified E55's with subwoofer over my old B&W 802 matrix speakers without one. If I remember right, the 802's were about $3500 per pair back when I bought them in 1998 and the EMP are $800 for a pair today with an additional $140 spent on upgraded tweeters. Add also $465 for the DIY subwoofer.

I use the bookshelf speakers for my personal computer audio and they are supported with a 12" subwoofer. The tweeter works fine for the two driver, two way system and the little speakers integrate nicely with the subwoofer. The major difference is in the midrange. If the towers have "glorious" midrange, then the bookshelves have less than "glorious" midrange but better integration with the tweeter. They really do need subwoofer support. I use an inexpensive BIC F12 sub with them and the sound is quite good and I would say amazing when considering a total price of less than $500. Not quite high end sound but in the upper area of mid fi sound.

I've never heard the Philharmonitors so I can't comment other than to say I tend to like ribbon tweeters and I would most likely enjoy them with a subwoofer in support. I came within a gnat's eye of putting ribbons on my towers. The Philharmonitors look like a super value given the ribbon tweeters.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-11-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I think people tend to forget that most of us are in this for fun and when we do comparisons, we aren't doing double blind test with measurements and perfect rooms. We listen to speakers side by side in less than perfect conditions and make observations!
As an EMP owner, I will agree with the sentiment that they are a fanatastic speaker for the price...
darthray likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #16 of 16 Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I'm old. I mess stuff up. Yes, I meant to address the OP. I'm still puzzled as to the exact experiment. I don't see the point in playing both pairs of speakers at the same time, so perhaps that's not what the OP meant.
I'm also old and mess stuff too, so it's all good

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page