• 1 Post By mtn-tech

post #1 of 30 Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Upgrading home theater speakers and need some advice

Right now I have an old system that has been really good to me, but there are some features I really would like right now like HDMI switching and Audyssey EQ. Most important is the Audyssey feature. I use my HT gear for 75% movies and 25% music.

My current set up is

Harmon/Kardon AVR 125
Harmon/kardon TS1 satellite speakers
Harmon/Kardon TS1 8" subwoofer

TV - Samsung PN59D7000

Now the receiver I'm going with will be a Denon X3000 or X3100W. My budget for front three speakers is $1500.00, but with one little issue. My TV is sitting on its stand which only gives me 4.5" of height for the center channel. As I see it is I can find a set up that has a low profile center, I raise my TV or get a new stand to address this. Now I might be able to put the center channel below the TV in top shelf of the TV stand which will give me 8" of height but I don't know if that is the best place for a center channel. Now if I put the center channel in this shelf its center height is 16" off the floor...

Any know of any manufacturers that have worthwhile low profile centers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-10-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger View Post
Right now I have an old system that has been really good to me, but there are some features I really would like right now like HDMI switching and Audyssey EQ. Most important is the Audyssey feature. I use my HT gear for 75% movies and 25% music.

My current set up is
Harmon/Kardon AVR 125
Harmon/kardon TS1 satellite speakers
Harmon/Kardon TS1 8" subwoofer

TV - Samsung PN59D7000

Now the receiver I'm going with will be a Denon X3000 or X3100W. My budget for front three speakers is $1500.00, but with one little issue. My TV is sitting on its stand which only gives me 4.5" of height for the center channel. As I see it is I can find a set up that has a low profile center, I raise my TV or get a new stand to address this. Now I might be able to put the center channel below the TV in top shelf of the TV stand which will give me 8" of height but I don't know if that is the best place for a center channel. Now if I put the center channel in this shelf its center height is 16" off the floor...

Any know of any manufacturers that have worthwhile low profile centers?
The top shelf will work.
But you will have to tilt the front up a little, so you might want to look for a center that is 7.5" max to account the tilt-up.
Also the center should stick out a little of the shelf to reduce/eliminate reflection, 1/2" or so should do the trick.

This should give you more option than the 4.5"

Good luck in search

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #3 of 30 Old 08-10-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
The top shelf will work.
But you will have to tilt the front up a little, so you might want to look for a center that is 7.5" max to account the tilt-up.
Also the center should stick out a little of the shelf to reduce/eliminate reflection, 1/2" or so should do the trick.

This should give you more option than the 4.5"

Good luck in search

Ray
+1

A center channel with a 4.5" height will give you very small drivers. You definitely want a solution that will allow you to use a speaker with bigger drivers.

Does your speaker budget include the sub? If so, I would suggest spending less on the receiver.
darthray likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #4 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 437
I would recommend wall-mounting the TV. You can get a good mount from www.monoprice.com for $20-30 and it will give you a lot more options for speakers.

Regarding your AVR, I would either get the X2000, the X3000 doesn't offer anything worthwhile over it, and offers very little value. The X2000 can be had new from www.crutchfield.com for $399.99. This gives you a little extra cash for speakers/sub.

What is the size of your room?

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #5 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For the Sub I was actually considering using my current one since it still works and sounds good during movies.

The room is small, 14' x10'. I will be here for another year then moving.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I would go to some local hifi shops and listen to some speakers. You have a decent budget for the front three, so it would be good to listen and figure out what kind of sound you like.

post #7 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
For the Sub I was actually considering using my current one since it still works and sounds good during movies.

The room is small, 14' x10'. I will be here for another year then moving.
At some point you will definitely want to think about a sub upgrade. While an 8" sub may (depends on the sub) fill a room that size to satisfying volumes (but not a much larger room), many AVSers recommend a sub with solid 20hz extension for an HT setup. 8" subs are usually lucky to achieve good 30hz extension.
darthray likes this.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #8 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
At some point you will definitely want to think about a sub upgrade. While an 8" sub may (depends on the sub) fill a room that size to satisfying volumes (but not a much larger room), many AVSers recommend a sub with solid 20hz extension for an HT setup. 8" subs are usually lucky to achieve good 30hz extension.
Yeah my thought was to wait and see what kind of living room I have when I move. I see a lot of people mentioning SVS so that's pretty much what I'll be looking for when I'm ready to pull the trigger.
post #9 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah my thought was to wait and see what kind of living room I have when I move. I see a lot of people mentioning SVS so that's pretty much what I'll be looking for when I'm ready to pull the trigger.
I own an SVS sub, and I would recommend HSU Research, Power Sound Audio, Outlaw Audio, Rythmik, and Reaction Audio as equally good subwoofer brands. Check the AVS subwoofer forum to learn more. When/if you get ready to buy, best to create a post on the AVS subwoofer forum and people can direct you to specific models that best suit your needs

post #10 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I own an SVS sub, and I would recommend HSU Research, Power Sound Audio, Outlaw Audio, Rythmik, and Reaction Audio as equally good subwoofer brands. Check the AVS subwoofer forum to learn more. When/if you get ready to buy, best to create a post on the AVS subwoofer forum and people can direct you to specific models that best suit your needs
Thanks for the info!
post #11 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Great! Now, back to speakers

Definitely try to go to some local hifi shops like Transmaniacon suggested. Even listen to speakers that are a bit out of your budget range. If you can tell us what you like or didn't like, or which brands you preferred, people here can suggest alternatives that may be more cost effective.

post #12 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well i went to hifi shop recently and like some Paradigm speakers. I think they were Monitor 9 or 11's. I'm debating if i should go with bookshelf or floorstands. I would get more range out of floor stands right?
post #13 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 457
kneedragger: Even tower speakers can benefit from a good (not a budget) subwoofer. Tower speakers try to be an everything speaker with various degrees of success (highs, mids and bass) and that success often (but not always) depends upon how deep your pockets go. Getting quality bookshelf speakers provides you with more money for a quality subwoofer.

Either way you decide to go, make sure you audition as many speakers as you can (as trans and cel suggested). Take your favorite music/movies, and see if the store will level match the speakers you are comparing (or take your own dB meter). Everyone's taste in speakers vary, so you need to find speakers that are right for you.
darthray and Transmaniacon like this.
post #14 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Well i went to hifi shop recently and like some Paradigm speakers. I think they were Monitor 9 or 11's. I'm debating if i should go with bookshelf or floorstands. I would get more range out of floor stands right?
There are pros and cons of each type. Also depends on the size of the room. Also whether 2 channel pure Hi-Fi or a home theatre. And whether you use pure direct mode. And whether you have a sub, if it's any good. And whether you like having subwoofer on for music or not, or if it's needed with music or not. Finally budget.

And what amp you have, if using pure direct that puts more strain on the amp. So a sub/sat system is less of a demand on the amp as you use a much higher crossover point.

There is no simple answer.

I have standmounts and floorstanders.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Last edited by fatbottom; 08-11-2014 at 03:02 PM.
post #15 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
First I will start by saying I love bookshelf speakers - I love the way they sound and they way they look. To me towers always sounded a little bass heavy and muddy. And when it comes to music I still feel that way.

But for home theater, a great little 2-way bookshelf speaker has a hard time competing with a medium size tower speaker. There is no need to get the biggest tower out there because you are probably going to be crossing over at 80Hz anyway, but a medium tower speaker with 2 or 3 mid / woofer drivers can reach higher a SPL (sound pressure level) than a single mid-driver bookshelf - and do it with less power. And you don't have to spend money on stands.

Most important is to find a speaker that you like that has a great, matched center channel speaker. In my opinion, Paradigm makes some of the best center channel speakers out there and the Center 3 (that matches the Monitor 9) is a great center channel speaker. It has a vertically stacked tweeter-mid for excellent horizontal dispersion without any "lobing" - this will make dialog very clear and understandable. For your budget I would say that you picked a great set of speakers.

The other way you could go would be to get the Mini Monitor bookshelf speakers now, save $600 to put toward a great sub like the PB-1000 or PB-2000 and then get the Monitor 9 towers later down the road and move the Mini's to the back.

SVS PB-2000, 500 Watt DSP Controlled, 12" Ported Subwoofer

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #16 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I'll go spend some time on bookshelfs and see if I like the sound the put out. I was focusing on towers because I have always wanted big towers and I haven't touched my HT gear in almost ten years so I was looking at going big.

Now the one thing I noticed with bookshelfs is there stands seem to take up as much room as towers. Are there any well build mounts for walls? I mean if I can get a mount for my 90lb Plasma why not a bookshelf speaker?!
post #17 of 30 Old 08-11-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. Maybe I'll go spend some time on bookshelfs and see if I like the sound the put out. I was focusing on towers because I have always wanted big towers and I haven't touched my HT gear in almost ten years so I was looking at going big.

Now the one thing I noticed with bookshelfs is there stands seem to take up as much room as towers. Are there any well build mounts for walls? I mean if I can get a mount for my 90lb Plasma why not a bookshelf speaker?!
Nothing wrong with towers.
That said!

A good Bookshelf match with a good sub, will do 95% or 98 and even 100 % as good tower tower match with a good sub.

I fall it the categorie of using towers since I want to be perfect.
I am also to the point where budget does not account for much! (one piece at the time)

It took years, and my last up-grade was a pre-amp.
PRS Pro886 to Marantz AV8801, money wise in CDN $.
$2000 to $4000.
Before that, DIY speakers went to aperion Verus Grand, then JVC projector and then dual SVS PB13 subs and then...

Night and day? No!
Subtile difference? Yes!

Save your money! and up-grade when budget allow it!

If not, be Happy Knowing you got a good system for your hard earn money

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #18 of 30 Old 08-12-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes you can wall-mount them, but I would recommend going with front-ported or sealed bookshelves in that case. I personally like the look of stands better, when you start getting into nicer bookshelves, they get pretty deep, and sometimes look silly sticking out of the wall, but that's just me .
darthray and mtn-tech like this.

post #19 of 30 Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
how about these if you find a pair?

http://digichar.com/unt/51351-celest...er_system.html

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #20 of 30 Old 08-12-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have much room either so this was an issue for me as well. Most towers really require a bit of room as they should be placed out into the room but I still wanted the "punch" of a tower speaker - my solution was a really big bookshelf. Budget wasn't an issue and I was patient enough to find a brand new pair of the discontinued Paradigm Signature S4 on eBay.

The stands do take a little less floor space and in the case of a shared-use room they can take a lot more abuse without any damage than the bottom of a very nice tower with piano black finish. If you find a front ported bookshelf, or better yet, a non-ported bookshelf you can place them close to the wall or mount them to the wall with fewer issues. I think the best "big" bookshelf out there right now is the NHT Classic Three. I have the smaller Classic Two at work and it is a very smooth speaker - less bright than the Paradigm and very accurate, smooth mids and great mid-bass - these have a great matched center and would be in your price range. These are meant to be wall mounted - even at 17lbs they have wall mount threaded inserts on the back and recommended wall mounts - this bookshelfs are on sale right now - 15% off:

Fronts: NHT Classic Three Bookshelf Loudspeaker - List $450 ea
Wall Brackets: Vantage Point Bookshelf Speaker Mount
Center: NHT ThreeC Center Channel Speaker - List $600

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 Placed.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	209169  
Transmaniacon likes this.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD

Last edited by mtn-tech; 08-12-2014 at 01:21 PM.
post #21 of 30 Old 08-12-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

+1, The NHT Classic Three would be a great choice and they afford you more placement options.

post #22 of 30 Old 08-12-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
A good Bookshelf match with a good sub, will do 95% or 98 and even 100 % as good tower tower match with a good sub.
+1 - Especially in a smaller room. Towers can have high max SPL, but if you have a smaller room or don't listen at reference levels then the additional impact is lost. You had a Paradigm dealer - did you listen to the Mini Monitor or the Studio 20?

post #23 of 30 Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:

Towers are great. There is nothing wrong with going towers, and if that is what you envisioned, then that's what you should get. Heck I have towers along with a pretty powerful sub, and I wouldn't change them for anything.

And yes, bookshelf speakers really need stands in order to get the tweeter up around ear level (there is usually a 15 degree off axis, or 30 degree cone, component that you try to stay within), plus it is a good idea to keep the speaker away from the wall. I don't recommend mounting fairly large bookshelf speakers on the wall, but it can be done if precautions are made (such as for rear-ported speakers). So going towers for your fronts will make things easier than going with bookshelf speakers and stands (or wall mounting hardware).
darthray likes this.
post #24 of 30 Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

If the space under your TV is still an issue for a larger center speaker, there are aftermarket TV stands for floor and table top that can lift your TV to a height to allow for a real center speaker.

post #25 of 30 Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
If the space under your TV is still an issue for a larger center speaker, there are aftermarket TV stands for floor and table top that can lift your TV to a height to allow for a real center speaker.
Are you talking about a new TV stand or something I place my TV on while still using my original TV stand?

Quote:
+1 - Especially in a smaller room. Towers can have high max SPL, but if you have a smaller room or don't listen at reference levels then the additional impact is lost. You had a Paradigm dealer - did you listen to the Mini Monitor or the Studio 20?
No I didn't give them a try.

Quote:
I don't have much room either so this was an issue for me as well. Most towers really require a bit of room as they should be placed out into the room but I still wanted the "punch" of a tower speaker - my solution was a really big bookshelf. Budget wasn't an issue and I was patient enough to find a brand new pair of the discontinued Paradigm Signature S4 on eBay.

The stands do take a little less floor space and in the case of a shared-use room they can take a lot more abuse without any damage than the bottom of a very nice tower with piano black finish. If you find a front ported bookshelf, or better yet, a non-ported bookshelf you can place them close to the wall or mount them to the wall with fewer issues. I think the best "big" bookshelf out there right now is the NHT Classic Three. I have the smaller Classic Two at work and it is a very smooth speaker - less bright than the Paradigm and very accurate, smooth mids and great mid-bass - these have a great matched center and would be in your price range. These are meant to be wall mounted - even at 17lbs they have wall mount threaded inserts on the back and recommended wall mounts - this bookshelfs are on sale right now - 15% off:

Fronts: NHT Classic Three Bookshelf Loudspeaker - List $450 ea
Wall Brackets: Vantage Point Bookshelf Speaker Mount
Center: NHT ThreeC Center Channel Speaker - List $600

I'll definitely look into these speakers.
post #26 of 30 Old 08-12-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Towers are great. There is nothing wrong with going towers, and if that is what you envisioned, then that's what you should get. Heck I have towers along with a pretty powerful sub, and I wouldn't change them for anything.

And yes, bookshelf speakers really need stands in order to get the tweeter up around ear level (there is usually a 15 degree off axis, or 30 degree cone, component that you try to stay within), plus it is a good idea to keep the speaker away from the wall. I don't recommend mounting fairly large bookshelf speakers on the wall, but it can be done if precautions are made (such as for rear-ported speakers). So going towers for your fronts will make things easier than going with bookshelf speakers and stands (or wall mounting hardware).
Good info. If I find some bookshelfs I like I will go with regular stands instead.
post #27 of 30 Old 08-12-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK so two questions. I notice NHT has some floorstands for about as much as the Paradigm Monitor 9 floorstands. Which one would be better spec wise?

http://www.paradigm.com/products-cur...r-9/page=specs

http://www.nhthifi.com/Absolute-Towe...y=3773#image-2

Second is earlier someone mentioned maybe needing a receiver with preouts to get more power for speakers. Would a Denon AVR X3100, X2100 or even the same but last years models be sufficient?

Now I don't crank up the movies or the music when I listen to them.

Thanks
post #28 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaker specs can only show so much, you need to listen to speakers to know how they perform.

I don't think you would need any external amplification, those receivers have plenty of power for you.
darthray and mtn-tech like this.

post #29 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Speaker specs can only show so much, you need to listen to speakers to know how they perform.
+1 - those speakers sound quite a bit different - you need to listen to some to know what "sound" you like.

A lot of modern speakers are fairly accurate but "slightly bright" and favor a "lively" sound, high efficiency, and better dynamics over perfect frequency response - for me, speakers like Polk, Infinity, Def Tech, etc fall into this category. Paradigm is less bright, but still has a "lively" sound and good dynamics, but most models are expensive.

The NHT will be less bright - almost "warm" with smoother mid range. Since these are not ported, the bass rolls off smoothly and they will be less boomy in the bass but they are much less efficient (lower sensitivity). "Warm" speakers will have de-emphasized highs and more mid-range.

You really should listen before you buy, but if you at least know what kind of speaker you prefer you can narrow your search. No one can tell you which "sound" is better - it is what YOU prefer.
dsrussell likes this.

post #30 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On NHT site they have a dealer about hour and half away from me. When I find some time I'll have to go there.. I need to look at other HIFI places in my area for sure!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page