Budget Sound System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Transmaniacon

post #1 of 17 Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Budget Sound System

Hello everyone. Forgive this open ended suggestion, but in spite of all of my research, I am going in circles. So I thought I would seek informed opinions.

In October we will be moving into our new home, and we will have a family room in the basement. There will be a 64" plasma on one wall, 16' wide, and the room will be 24' deep. About half way back, we will be placing a sectional. We have a descent console table to go under the TV, and it will be wall mounted. So the video and room layout are figured out; The one thing I do not have figured out is the sound.

My current setup needs an immediate upgrade; it is a leftover Onkyo starters set from 12 years ago. They are battered, boxy and very dated. I do have a more modern receiver - A Denon AVR 1913 - and I am ok with my current powered sub for now. What I need is a new set of 5.0 speakers.

Here are the variables: Any surrounds will have to be to the side of and above the seating area, so as to not block a relatively narrow walk way around the end of the sectional. So a lower profile setup would be nice. And my ability to control the in wall wiring is relatively limited - I have to work with a third party contractor - so doing something like in wall speakers would be relatively difficult. And, of course, money IS an object in this case, in that I don't have any. Doing something for $4-500 would be ideal, and I would prefer to find a product that is available via Amazon.com. Finally, I am not an audiophile by any sense. A clean, efficient, matched 5.0 setup is all I am hoping to achieve; I do not need to go with a deep, dream system. A good quality budget set is more than fine. Hmmm... did I leave anything out?

I always liked the idea of thin, long, flat speakers below and to either side of the TV. And I did find the HTD Flat Panel Speakers (http://www.htd.com/Products/flat-pan...-panel-speaker) that look like a great way to achieve that kind of setup. But I am not sure what I would use for surrounds, they are a bit more than I can afford and they don't seem to work through Amazon. Another option might be a passive LCR sound bar, but those all seem priced out of my reach. The Vizio 3.0 system is amplified, which is not what I want. And I supposed I could go with a more traditional set of towers, center and book shelves, keeping in mind that the surrounds need to be wall mounted.

My major problem is my ignorance of the market and what is possible. So I wonder what you might suggest? Sorry for the long post; I hope it is not too annoying. Thank you in advance for your help and thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-10-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 811
HTD is one option. Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers are another that would fit your budget.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable K7XX | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
You might look at EMP Tek E5Bi: They are $125 each, so 3 for the front stage will cost you $375. Here is a review by Andrew Robinson (he does dozens of reviews on all kinds of speakers): http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek...aker-reviewed/

For rears, the EMP Tek E3b are $125 for the pair. Total cost so far is $500. Check out their website on these two speaker groups. They offer a 30-day trial and free one-way shipping. No, you can't buy it on Amazon, it's an I.D. company and they ship direct. I know if I were looking for an inexpensive 5.0 set of speakers, I'd be a fool not to give them an audition. But you should try to audition as many other speakers as you can to get a solid perspective.

Now you need some stands, that's going to be extra (EMP Tek also sells them), so you might want to look at Amazon for those.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 685
EMP and HTD are both good options, take a look at the Polk OWM3 for a good low-profile surround speaker.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #5 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 142
IMO I would go used market, look for Klipsch RF-3, RC-3 speakers. If you want new stuff, the Andrew Jones as others have mentioned sound pretty nice. Two friends of mine have 5 speaker set ups and are pretty happy.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I know you said it would be relatively difficult, but since you have to get wires to the surrounds anyway (unless you're thinking wireless?) I use Monoprice in-walls with a Denon 1910 for the surround/surround backs and have been very pleased. With a room that size you may want to look into 6.5" or 8": http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10837. Solves your narrow walkway issue.

I'm currently - and slowly - upgrading my setup (going to the EMP Tek E5Bi dsrussell mentioned along with their E5Ci, an as yet undetermined sub, an AVR-X2000 on it's way) and don't intend to move to different surround/rears anytime soon, if ever. The Monoprice in-walls do the job for me (not an audiophile either ).
post #7 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
^^ smcmillan2: Once you get the EMP Teks and set them up and test them out, please report back. Everyone is interested in finding out how people like certain products, and possibly the O.P. of this thread.

For subwoofer help, go to the subwoofer section of this forum. You'll still see many of the same people as you do here, but there will be many others who will be glad to give you solid input.

You may not think you're an audiophile, but guess what? You've taken a big leap in that direction
post #8 of 17 Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
^^ smcmillan2: Once you get the EMP Teks and set them up and test them out, please report back. Everyone is interested in finding out how people like certain products, and possibly the O.P. of this thread.
Will do, but won't be ordering those for a few months yet. Looking forward to hearing them in my setup given the reviews/other responses to them, I'm replacing Mirage Nanosat Prestige L/R (wife wanted unobtrusive), Nano CC center and their Omni S8 sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell
For subwoofer help, go to the subwoofer section of this forum. You'll still see many of the same people as you do here, but there will be many others who will be glad to give you solid input.
Yeah, thanks, been scouring all of the sections for something in my price range. Like the OP I can't spend big bucks, but like to have nice equipment that delivers nice sound (to me anyway). So I'm buying piece-by-piece as I can afford it. Leaning towards either the NX-BAS-500 or BIC PL-200, but the Hsu STF-2 piques my interest as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell
You may not think you're an audiophile, but guess what? You've taken a big leap in that direction
As they say, "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like"! If there is one thing I've learned while researching/lurking on these forums, it's all about what sounds good to you - audition, Audition, AUDITION!

Last edited by smcmillan2; 08-11-2014 at 08:07 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

So based on your responses and some additional reading, I am leaning towards one of two practical options.

· Polk OWM5s for the front, with a matching center and OWM3s for the rear. My fear is that they might be underpowered for a 16’ x 10’ish sitting area. http://www.polkaudio.com/products/owm5

· Pioneer Andrew Jones set get good reviews. But rears are not ideal for hanging high; I would need a shelf. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...kers/SP-PK52FS

Thoughts?
post #10 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't use those Polks for your fronts, they are more geared for surround duty, and are made of plastic.

The Pioneers are currently on sale right now, you can get all 5 for $250, this is a stupid good price.

Use this to mount your surrounds: http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clam...speaker+mounts

Or just go with a pair of Polk OWM3 for the surrounds. You don't need to match the fronts.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #11 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I wouldn't use those Polks for your fronts, they are more geared for surround duty, and are made of plastic.

The Pioneers are currently on sale right now, you can get all 5 for $250, this is a stupid good price.

Use this to mount your surrounds: http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clam...speaker+mounts

Or just go with a pair of Polk OWM3 for the surrounds. You don't need to match the fronts.
Agreed. The Pioneers are a great value at their current price.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #12 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So I was always taught that every speaker, other than maybe the sub, should timber matched (Same line from same manufacturer) or there would be inconsistencies?
post #13 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is an amazing price. Where is it? Did I miss it on my own link?
post #14 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedowyn View Post
That is an amazing price. Where is it? Did I miss it on my own link?
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ix=pione%2Caps

I'd pull the trigger soon, as in the next couple hours, a sale like this won't last long.
zieglj01 likes this.

post #15 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Ha! Awesome. THANKS!!!!!

I splurged and picked up the sub too. Nice to have this issue settled; now I can tell the contractor how to run my cables.

Question: Is there a way to raise these towers up about a foot?
post #16 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedowyn View Post
Ha! Awesome. THANKS!!!!!

I splurged and picked up the sub too. Nice to have this issue settled; now I can tell the contractor how to run my cables.

Question: Is there a way to raise these towers up about a foot?
You could build a stand for them, most speaker stands start at 16"-18", and probably won't hold up a tower that well.

post #17 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Which sub did you get? The Pioneer 8" is a meh choice for a home theater system, IMO. You'd be much better off spending a bit more for the Dayton SUB 1200.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page