Assessing Father's Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Assessing Father's Setup

My father just moved into a new condo several states from me and I am trying to help get his a/v set up remotely (challenging - yes).

The former owner left only his speakers - no other equipment. He has a set (2) of Bose single cube speakers installed in the ceilings of each of his living room, kitchen, study, and bedroom, and a set of ceiling speakers in the hallway. So it sounds like there are five zones. However my father claims to see only five speaker wires poking out of the wall where his receiver will be located. Would there be one wire coming from two speakers?

I am sorry that I don't have the exact model number of the speakers.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
There certainly could be- best way to test is just hook up a pair of wires at a time to test where they go. If not all of the speakers work, then there is likely somewhere else where other wires come out of the walls.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-11-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Could be 5 cables containing 4 wires each are there volume controls in each area?
post #4 of 7 Old 08-12-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for your replies. My Father does not currently own a receiver so he can't test the wires.

I am trying to help him figure out whether he should get a multi-zone receiver or just use a speaker selector. I'd like to set him up with something simple that he can control via his iPad. For now, though, we need to understand what he is working with.

There are no volume controls in the rooms.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Don't think he's gonna be able to control a speaker selector with his iPad. Don't you still need a receiver/amp to connect to a speaker selector?

Afro GT
post #6 of 7 Old 08-12-2014, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yes. Trying to figure out whether to get a multi-zone receiver/amp, or a regular receiver amp with the speaker selector which, you are right, he would not be able to control with his iPad.

He told me today he was pretty sure he had just five wires coming together at the receiver location. That would imply one wire for each set of two speakers. I was wondering whether that is common. If not, he might be misreading the situation.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-12-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's possible that the Bose cubes are a single wire each but I have never used Bose so I wouldn't know. You could use the interwebs and check pics and specs for the speakers. Going forward you might consider doing Sonos with their amp. You might need the bridge too. However with the Sonos app you can use an IPAD for controlling volume and songs and stuff assuming your father has a digital collection. If not Pandora etc offer free stations and such.

My two pennies....
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page