Active Nearfield Monitors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Active Nearfield Monitors

I was looking for good, active nearfield studio monitors under £450 and I found the Prodipe Pro 8 V2 monitors. I went to their website and I thought the specifications of the monitors are promising, specially the SPL Vs Freq curve.
The thing is, I never had or bought a proper studio monitor before and I don't have any practical experience. I only know some theories. So...I'm asking you expertises if the monitors are worth buying. I just wanted to know what you guys would think of it. The link to the website is: http://www.prodipe.com/en/products/s...oring-pro-8-v2

I also found a bundle deal here http://www.thomann.de/gb/prodipe_pro...10s_bundle.htm

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRO8V2 system curve_2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	208345  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The plot looks good! I'd say try before you buy. You may not like the sound. True studio monitors are very revealing, by design. That can be both good and bad. I think some Focals are also in that price range which tend to be more well known. Also possibly some Genelec.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
The plot looks good! I'd say try before you buy. You may not like the sound. True studio monitors are very revealing, by design. That can be both good and bad. I think some Focals are also in that price range which tend to be more well known. Also possibly some Genelec.
I think I can afford Genelic 8020 CMP but the Prodipe pro 8 V2 has better frequency response and curve according to the specs. Trying before buying is good. Thanks!

Last edited by Tsegaw; 08-11-2014 at 05:34 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Genelece monitors, 8040B vs 8040A

Which is good for the price?
post #5 of 8 Old 08-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Maybe it is just me, but I'm not impressed with what Genelec has to offer in their lower-tier products. Power specs are way too anemic for the price they are charging. Maybe they won't sound as flat as the Genelec but maybe take a look at KRK RoKit or Behringer Truth series for more bang-for-buck. If the OP wasn't in the UK, I'd recommend Emotiva Airmotiv/Stealth monitors. They are an excellent value price vs. performance. Emotiva is phasing out their Stealth 6 monitors at $800 a pair -- that's 210 watts RMS per speaker. They are huge and heavy but that all goes away when I'm pushing music through them.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #6 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, Genelec monitors are very pricey but take a look at the 8240A monitors. They seem to have great specs like ± 1 dB (48 Hz - 20kHz),..and features like Genelec AutoCal™ and Genelec Loudspeaker Manager (GLM™). I should check them out and if I like them I'll definitely save money and buy a pair of them.

Last edited by Tsegaw; 08-14-2014 at 10:59 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 97
While its good they at least posted something, the frequency response plot is not enough information. Speakers radiate in three dimensions and what we hear some combination of the direct and reflected sound.

The response plot gives no information about the off-axis sound, which judging by the arrangement (8 inch woofer with limited directivity control for the tweeter), will probably have some issues. My recommendation is to go for the JBL LSR 3 series instead.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yes you are right frequency response plot is not enough and I that is why they have this Autocal calibration system. It is very helpful for room response optimization specially if you don't have a proper acoustically treated room.
Even though I'm not sure about what you said about the arrangement of the monitors, their design (arrangement) as they call it directivity controlled waveguide (space around the tweeter) can allow you listen a good frequency response even if you are off-axis a bit. I guess what you said about the arrangement is quite opposite to what they say. But yeah theory is not enough we have to see it practically
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page