Bookshelf speakers: Micca MB42X/Infinity Primus P143/Pioneer BS22/Sony B1000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-12-2014, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bookshelf speakers: Micca MB42X/Infinity Primus P143/Pioneer BS22/Sony B1000

Hi,

I'm looking for a set of bookshelves to upgrade from my standard TV speakers...I have to place them on a shelf mounted underneath my TV and have a little over 7 inches of depth to work with, the speakers are going to have to be placed against the wall or very close to it.

Considering that I'm connecting straight to the TV and that the speakers have to be placed against the wall and without a sub, which of the following should I go with?

1. Sony SS-B100: 5.25 inch speakers and front ported, ok reviews.
2. Infinity Primus P143: 4 inch speakers and front ported, good reviews.
3. Pioneer SP-BS22-LR: 4 inch speakers, rear ported, good reviews.
4. Micca MB42X: 4 inch speakers, rear ported, reviews seem to love these.

I'm mostly concerned with musicality and bass response considering that I'm going without a sub. The Miccas seem to get great reviews, but I'm not sure if I would be better off with something like the Infinity due to the front ported design considering necessary wall placement. Then there's the matter of the Sony speakers having larger speakers than the others...

Any input or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-12-2014, 03:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 772
The Sony 5 inch woofer is nothing to get excited about - it is weak.

Due to placement - I would go with the Infinity - and it is better than the Sony

Hope you understand, that you need to power them with a receiver/amp

"Considering that I'm connecting straight to the TV and that the speakers have to be placed against the wall"

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-12-2014 at 04:02 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-12-2014, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I like this Pioneer SP-BS22-LR: 4 inch speakers.
post #4 of 15 Old 08-12-2014, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Telecaster View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a set of bookshelves to upgrade from my standard TV speakers...I have to place them on a shelf mounted underneath my TV and have a little over 7 inches of depth to work with, the speakers are going to have to be placed against the wall or very close to it.

Considering that I'm connecting straight to the TV and that the speakers have to be placed against the wall and without a sub, which of the following should I go with?

I'm mostly concerned with musicality and bass response considering that I'm going without a sub. The Miccas seem to get great reviews, but I'm not sure if I would be better off with something like the Infinity due to the front ported design considering necessary wall placement. Then there's the matter of the Sony speakers having larger speakers than the others...

Any input or advice?
Budget and do you have any other restrictions besides depth, ie height and width.

Thanks.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-12-2014, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. To be more specific, I'm eventually going to splurge on a receiver and an appropriate 5.1 setup...but for now, I'm using my old soundcard setup and computer 5.1s for music. I really want something as a quick fix for my tv's horrible stock speakers until I get around to building a larger setup. Movies and shows are a factor, but I'm mostly trying to find something to help out with the concerts and music content that I watch.

I'm good to cross the Sony's off the list. I'd go with the Infinitys right now if I had a better understanding of how the bass compares with the Pioneer and Micca. I know I can't expect too much without a woofer and with smaller drivers, but some reviews make the Micca out to sound like it works well even without a woofer.

Again, I'm going to have about a half an inch tops worth of space behind whatever I go with...if a front port is the only way to go due to that, then the Infinitys are basically the only option.

Feel free to keep the comments and suggestions coming. I only want to spend $100ish and am tied to about 7 inches in depth, width isn't an issue and height isn't a problem...would love to find a good solution for this with the best bass and musical qualities possible given my limitations.

Last edited by 62Telecaster; 08-12-2014 at 04:04 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-12-2014, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The Sony 5 inch woofer is nothing to get excited about - it is weak.

Due to placement - I would go with the Infinity - and it is better than the Sony

Hope you understand, that you need to power them with a receiver/amp

"Considering that I'm connecting straight to the TV and that the speakers have to be placed against the wall"
Oh...maybe you can help me if I'm completely off with all of this. I really wanted to skip anything external like a receiver if it was possible and was hoping to plug straight into the tv if it's doable.

The back of my TV has a headphone jack, coaxial digital out, and then right nd left component jacks. Any hope of me pulling this off without a receiver? And if not, do I have any other options to look into?
post #7 of 15 Old 08-12-2014, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. To be more specific, I'm eventually going to splurge on a receiver and an appropriate 5.1 setup...but for now, I'm using my old soundcard setup and computer 5.1s for music. I really want something as a quick fix for my tv's horrible stock speakers until I get around to building a larger setup. Movies and shows are a factor, but I'm mostly trying to find something to help out with the concerts and music content that I watch.

I'm good to cross the Sony's off the list. I'd go with the Infinitys right now if I had a better understanding of how the bass compares with the Pioneer and Micca. I know I can't expect too much without a woofer and with smaller drivers, but some reviews make the Micca out to sound like it works well even without a woofer.

Again, I'm going to have about a half an inch tops worth of space behind whatever I go with...if a front port is the only way to go due to that, then the Infinitys are basically the only option.

Feel free to keep the comments and suggestions coming. I only want to spend $100ish and am tied to about 7 inches in depth, width isn't an issue and height isn't a problem...would love to find a good solution for this with the best bass and musical qualities possible given my limitations.
You can't hook up passive speakers like these to a sound card. Your options are either buy a receiver or amplifier of some sort, or get active speakers instead.

With your budget there aren't a whole lot of active speakers, and expanding to 5.1 with them later on would be more expensive because you would need a receiver with preouts.

I would recommend a front ported speaker, aka the Infinitys. Pick up a Lepai 2020A+ to power them until you can get a receiver.
mtn-tech and 89grand like this.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #8 of 15 Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
You can't hook up passive speakers like these to a sound card. Your options are either buy a receiver or amplifier of some sort, or get active speakers instead.

With your budget there aren't a whole lot of active speakers, and expanding to 5.1 with them later on would be more expensive because you would need a receiver with preouts.

I would recommend a front ported speaker, aka the Infinitys. Pick up a Lepai 2020A+ to power them until you can get a receiver.
This is some sound advice, pardon the pun.

The Pioneer BS-22 is a great speaker, I have two pair, but it's not appropriate for your setup, as they really need to be some distance from the rear wall. +1 on the cheap little Lepai amp. It may be only $20 or so, but it is a shocking performer, and will drive most speakers to much higher levels than most would expect. I ended up using mine at work, but I played around with it for quite a while, even in my main setup, and it drove all of my speakers I tried with it to much higher than expected levels. Sure it's only about 8 watts per channel, but that's enough to dive many speakers to decent levels.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-12-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Oh...maybe you can help me if I'm completely off with all of this. I really wanted to skip anything external like a receiver if it was possible and was hoping to plug straight into the tv if it's doable.
You do need something like a small amp

There is one more speaker option, and Tannoy makes nice stuff
The VR bookshelf and surround speakers - a good price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TANNOY-MERCU...p2054897.l4275

post #10 of 15 Old 08-12-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Also, make sure your TV has "Variable Audio Out" - this requires analog audio OUTPUTS on the back of your TV - most TVs don't have these. If you don't, you will also need to convert the digital audio from the back of the TV to analog - which requires a converter box. If you need a converter and an amp to power speakers, you are better off just buying an AVR - used or refurbished is much cheaper. If you don't mind factory refurbished and only a 1 year warranty, you can get the Denon AVR-X1000 for $199:

DENON AVR-X1000 5.1 Channel Networking Receiver w/ AirPlay - $199

The best kind of bookshelf speakers to put on shelf are non-ported speakers - you will have less placement issues with them. The NHT Super One sounds great with its 6.5" woofer has really decent, smooth bass. They are also a great deal - on sale right now at 15% off - regularly $300/pr now $255/pr

NHT SuperOne 2.1 - on sale $255/pr

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #11 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...after going through everything, I might as well buy a receiver and maybe a sub. My question now is about those Tannoy speakers vs the Infinitys. Of the two, which would be the better choice? The Tannoys look to be rear speakers with a shallower 5 inch deep cabinet, but with 5 inch speakers. The Infinitys have a 6.75 inch deep cabinet but only a 4 inch speaker.

Any thoughts on which of the two to get? As for a Receiver, I was looking at the suggested Demon and saw that they have a Bluetooth receiver for about $250. I might just go for that so that I can play music from my laptop. Would I need anything else?

Thank you so much.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ok...after going through everything, I might as well buy a receiver and maybe a sub. My question now is about those Tannoy speakers vs the Infinitys. Of the two, which would be the better choice? The Tannoys look to be rear speakers with a shallower 5 inch deep cabinet, but with 5 inch speakers. The Infinitys have a 6.75 inch deep cabinet but only a 4 inch speaker.
The Tannoy was designed to be used as front or rear speakers - and can even be used as
a center channel - it was designed for better performance against the wall. It has more
height to cover for lack of depth. The box volume/tuning is still there to give some bass.

The Mercury series is popular and well designed.

Speaker choice/deison is up to you - your call

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-14-2014 at 08:34 AM.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, cool. I'm kind of brainstorming different things at the moment...I mean, I'm pretty much looking at something like the M Audio or Behringer line of powered speakers as stand alones, or just going for broke and doing the whole receiver setup.

Something else that I'm curious about...My TV is mounted over a fire place with a small mantle underneath it(where the bookshelf speakers would have to go), but I also have a brick/cement ledge that surrounds the fireplace and sits about a foot off of the floor. I'm almost wondering if I should try to look into floor speakers and sit them on top of that brick/cement ledge. They wouldn't exactly be on the floor...but I wonder if that would be a better overall option if I'm going to spend more now. I'd have about 36 inches of height or so to work with if I did that.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-14-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 685
If you go with floor standing speakers, you are limited to passive speakers and will need a receiver/amp. If you have any plans of expanding to surround sound, I would recommend sticking with passive speakers. I think the Infinity's would be a good choice, are front ported, and you can add a matching center/surrounds down the road. You could even just buy speaker stands and place them where you would tower speakers. Generally putting speakers on the mantle is higher than they should be, so an 18-24" speaker stand would get the tweeters more on ear level where they should be.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #15 of 15 Old 05-24-2015, 03:18 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi,

Any input or advice?
I have been using the Pioneer BS22s and they are incredible for the price but they are a little tall for my purpose. They have to go on a chest with a TV and the speakers block a piece of screen (about 1") on each side. I picked up the P143s at Frys recently for $29 each on a 1-day promo They are also amazing for that very low price (and even at the regular price of double that.) The BS22s have more bass but it's boomier, especially close to the wall. (You can tame it with a foam plug in the port - use A/C insulation from Home Depot). The P143 has less bass but it's cleaner and tighter, and with the port in the front, can go close to the wall more easily The mid/high range is pretty close on these. Neither looks all that great but that's to be expected in this price range. I can live with either of them.
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread - P143 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page