Newbie in every way - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie in every way

I managed to find a great deal on bowers and wilkins 685s2 and the b and w 8 inch sub as well as a yamaha rx a1030 amp.

I am just starting with all of this and was likely sold on it from the best buyers.

Just of my question is what is the deal with b and w? I lostened to attain Logan, def tech, and the bowers compared to the bowers and selected the bowers. I'm new to all of this, so what kind of person does this make me? I planning on getting either a rega rp1 or project debut carbon as well as the moderate home theatre setup.

Again, I'm trying to find my way amongst all of you audiophiles. Is this a good setup for a small, but fairly open room with hardwood floors etc?

Will the tt need am additional pre amp to bypass the factory In the amp I have?

Am I in the wrong area here? Maybe a different forum.

A simple go to here will doing so.

Sorry for wasting your time reading this.

Thanks for reading it if this is a good question.

Happy listening,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
No apology needed. Everyone needs help at first. I've never heard the B&W bookshelf speakers you purchased, but have read good reviews from reviewers and others who have purchased.

I assume since you've purchased an AV receiver you at least purchased five of the 682s with the sub. I think this would be a very decent first surround system for movies. Yamaha to me is a very good home theater receiver, but I prefer others for music.

Hard wood (reflective, hard surfaces) are an issue most most sound systems. Sound bounces off the surfaces causing smearing of the soundstage. You may want to purchase an area rug to tame some of the reflection. Experiment with placement to where it sounds best for you. This may also help with a TT since the reflections may feed back into the cartridge causing oscillations.

You will probably want to purchase a turntable preamp for the TT to boost the signal to an acceptable level for the receiver input.

Not meaning any offense, but it was difficult reading through your post. Again no offense, but is English your second language? Or is it possible this was written on a portable devise such as a phone which inserted its own words. It may help to proofread before you send. Hopefully I got the gist of your comments and answered appropriately.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-12-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am terribly sorry for the grammar! I was typing on a phone, and clearly didn't spend enough time proof reading!

The room I have has an 8x10 area rug. Largely open up top, but some reflective surfaces about 36 inches and below. I listen about 7 feet from speakers which are spaced for now about 5 feet apart.

If I'm honest, I feel badly not knowing the lingo and important elements here. I thought I knew something before buying the set up, but quickly realized there is much much more here.

If there is a book or website that gives me a better introduction, I'll spend some time there before wasting any of yours.

I am meeting with am audiophile friend tomorrow to help me understand what I have gotten myself into!

I was hoping for something to give me a head start for tomorrow's conversation and further learning from you all on this forum.

Again, sorry for the spelling and grammar in the first post.

Thanks,

Mike
post #4 of 4 Old 08-13-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 475
I don't think you have done anything wrong? You bought a great pair of bookshelves, a solid receiver, and seem to be on the right track. The next step is to just listen and enjoy! Kj made some good points about room interaction, you definitely want to mitigate hard surfaces if possible, but not everyone can have a treated, dedicated space, so don't go crazy worrying about it.

How are your speakers placed in the room, stands? Getting your placement correct is one of the most important aspects of this hobby. Good speakers placed poorly will sound bad. Your receiver has YPAO room correction and a mic, have you run the setup and let it adjust settings for you? This will attempt to smooth your frequency response of your speakers and sub. Some people don't like the EQ'ed sound, others do, so try it and see!

What kind of source material do you have other than the TT? Good speakers can reveal poorly recorded music, and it does not sound good. Listening to CDs or lossless audio rips is the way to go.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page