Speaker upgrade advice needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speaker upgrade advice needed

Hello everyone... I am new to the forum and looking for some speaker advice. I currently have ~20 year old speakers - JBL CF120s to be exact. I recently got a Marantz SR5007 receiver, and the sound isn't what I expected. It doesn't sound much better or louder that the 20 year old JVC I had before. I've been looking at speakers in the $500 each range, something like Polk Audio TSx550T or similar. My question is, would upgrading to speakers like that be much of an improvement? My old JBLs actually have a slightly wider frequency response range and better sensitivity than the Polk Audio speakers. Is that all that matters? What else should I be looking at? Would I need to go to much more expensive speakers to get a significant improvement?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Speaker specs do not say a lot about the overall performance of a speaker.

If you want mainly party speakers - then just stick with what you have

The biggest difference comes from a speaker change, compared to a receiver change.

However, now you have a modern day receiver that you can grow with

If you are looking for more than just so-call loudness, and want more of a balance smooth
frequency range, with more realistic sound - then look at the JBL Studio 290 speakers. JBL
is doing some good stuff in this current day and age.

Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-12-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links