Speakers help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2
  • 1 Post By Transmaniacon
  • 1 Post By Transmaniacon

post #1 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speakers help

i bought a pair of Image b4 PSB speakers, but i'm not really satisfied with the quality. My thoughts for these speakers are a bit weird, they are not smooth. It is painful to listen to.

Sub: M8
AVR: Denon X-1000

My budget is ~$1000. I'm using it as a computer speakers and it is a bed room. I'm wondering if there are any better speakers out there for this price range.

Will adding a center improve the sound performance?

Last edited by mh522; 08-13-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
That's precisely what auditioning is all about. Everyone is different in what they like or dislike about a speaker. Glad to see you've auditioned a pair of speakers in your home. That is the best place to audition anything. That being said, you could run down to your local Best Buy Magnolia store and audition a few there as well.

Def Tech SM-55 @ $600/pair : http://hometheaterreview.com/definit...r-55-reviewed/
http://www.stereophile.com/content/d...55-loudspeaker

You might see if a local store has the JBL 530 @ $600/pair. Here is zieglj01's (a regular poster on AVS) review: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...-illusion.html and this review from "What Hi-Fi?": http://www.whathifi.com/jbl/studio-530/review

Or you could go to EMP Tek and try an in-home audition of these @ $250/pair: http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek...aker-reviewed/

Good luck.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
That's precisely what auditioning is all about. Everyone is different in what they like or dislike about a speaker. Glad to see you've auditioned a pair of speakers in your home. That is the best place to audition anything. That being said, you could run down to your local Best Buy Magnolia store and audition a few there as well.

Def Tech SM-55 @ $600/pair : http://hometheaterreview.com/definit...r-55-reviewed/
http://www.stereophile.com/content/d...55-loudspeaker

You might see if a local store has the JBL 530 @ $600/pair. Here is zieglj01's (a regular poster on AVS) review: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...-illusion.html and this review from "What Hi-Fi?": http://www.whathifi.com/jbl/studio-530/review

Or you could go to EMP Tek and try an in-home audition of these @ $250/pair: http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek...aker-reviewed/

Good luck.
I've heard from a few members saying EMP Tek speakers are meant for bigger environment, i'm not sure if this is true.

Can somebody please tell me if it is better for me to buy a center for 3.1 setup, or Center + 2 more speakers for 5.1 setup, or should i return this PSB I4 and get like a $700 speakers set. I'm no audio expert, but i do have a very sensitive ears.

Also, i forgot to mention. Bookshelf speakers only please as i don't have a lot of spare room for tower speakers. Sorry if i brought any confusion to the table.

Please help me, thank you!
post #4 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

You're a fast reader! I am assuming that you have read the reviews on those speakers. If you haven't, then I've just wasted my time. You also seem to vacillate very quickly. Yes, it's confusing. Yes, it cost money that isn't easy to come by. But we are talking about auditions here. You need to listen to as many speakers as you can to find out what you like and what you don't. One can't rely on anyone but themselves when it comes to sound.

One can easily buy the same speaker for the center channel as they did for the right and left speakers. It's probably preferable. Most get a low-height center channel because a regular speaker may block part of the TV screen. The surround speakers don't really have to be from the same manufacturer. While it's pretty important to timber match the front 3 speakers, it's far less important for the surrounds.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You're a fast reader! I am assuming that you have read the reviews on those speakers. If you haven't, then I've just wasted my time. You also seem to vacillate very quickly. Yes, it's confusing. Yes, it cost money that isn't easy to come by. But we are talking about auditions here. You need to listen to as many speakers as you can to find out what you like and what you don't. One can't rely on anyone but themselves when it comes to sound.

One can easily buy the same speaker for the center channel as they did for the right and left speakers. It's probably preferable. Most get a low-height center channel because a regular speaker may block part of the TV screen. The surround speakers don't really have to be from the same manufacturer. While it's pretty important to timber match the front 3 speakers, it's far less important for the surrounds.
Hi, i'm not trying to be rude and NO, you are not wasting your time. I really appreciate your time and inputs in regard to my problem.
I did read those articles, though i did skip part of it. Because i trust you guys, you guys are the expert. every articles \ reviews will make themselves sound as fabulous as they can, so i don't wanna read any bias opinions, but rather have people that actually own the product and give me their thoughts. I wanna spend my money wisely, especially on things i'm not very familiar with. I can't judge the speakers base on their brand reputations \ price tag. I hope people can give me their inputs on their favorite pair of speakers around my budget range. Then i'll see what i can work with, because i can't afford to buy every pair of speakers then return them (If and only if they are free, but unfortunately they're not).
post #6 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Another good option for you to look at is the Boston M25
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ck-each/1.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065M25/...25.html?tp=186

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-13-2014 at 05:33 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh522 View Post
every articles \ reviews will make themselves sound as fabulous as they can
Sure, part of the game. Marketing isn't going to tell you they're the worst speakers you've ever heard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh522
so i don't wanna read any bias opinions, but rather have people that actually own the product and give me their thoughts.
I understand what you're after here, but this line is rather contradictory. Everyone has their own preferences/bias based on their own hearing (or seeing, feeling, etc.). This is why recommending speakers is next to impossible, as whatever I like may (or may not) be exactly the opposite of what you like in a speaker as dsrussell already mentioned.

So, and I'm not being rude here, what didn't you like about the PSB Image B4 speakers? Are they too harsh? Too muddy? Not loud enough?
On a side note, did you run the Audyssey calibration on the X1000? That may help.

All these factors could help in others recommending a speaker that may serve your listening habits better. And I'll be watching because I was looking at those same speakers but am now looking to audition the EMP Tek E5Bi in the next couple of months. Getting speakers in your particular setup can be a PITA, but until you hear them where you're going to use them you don't know how they sound (even after hearing them at a local store).

HTH

Scott
Transmaniacon likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi, i'm not trying to be rude and NO, you are not wasting your time. I really appreciate your time and inputs in regard to my problem.
I did read those articles, though i did skip part of it. Because i trust you guys, you guys are the expert. every articles \ reviews will make themselves sound as fabulous as they can, so i don't wanna read any bias opinions, but rather have people that actually own the product and give me their thoughts. I wanna spend my money wisely, especially on things i'm not very familiar with. I can't judge the speakers base on their brand reputations \ price tag. I hope people can give me their inputs on their favorite pair of speakers around my budget range. Then i'll see what i can work with, because i can't afford to buy every pair of speakers then return them (If and only if they are free, but unfortunately they're not).
We are hardly experts (and we are all bias), and therein lies your problem. We all like different things in sound reproduction, be it professional reviewers or us "normal" folk. If one actually reads a professional review and not skim, there is plenty to take away from that review. It is as much reading between the lines as reading the actual lines themselves. I can easily tell if a reviewer is going through the motions in his very positive review, or is really impressed. It is also seeing reviews that have actual test data, at the site or somewhere else (not that many do, unfortunately) that sometimes confirms what the reviewer said, but just as often may contradict what the review said in one or two areas.

Add to that, room size, room acoustics, positioning and SPL preferences, and it is not much of a surprise that speakers one person loves aren't the ones I would purchase, and vice-versa. Reviews, professional and amateur, are there so we can whittle down those speakers that we may want to, or can, audition. There are literally thousands of speakers out there, and none of us, even professional reviewers, can audition any more than a tiny fraction. We take what we read and apply it to our auditions (either going out to several audio stores or going to I.D companies that allow a free trial period). So take the info I (or others) give you, or dismiss it. It is completely your choice to make.

Good hunting.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh522
Quote:
We are hardly experts (and we are all bias), and therein lies your problem. We all like different things in sound reproduction, be it professional reviewers or us "normal" folk. If one actually reads a professional review and not skim, there is plenty to take away from that review. It is as much reading between the lines as reading the actual lines themselves. I can easily tell if a reviewer is going through the motions in his very positive review, or is really impressed. It is also seeing reviews that have actual test data, at the site or somewhere else (not that many do, unfortunately) that sometimes confirms what the reviewer said, but just as often may contradict what the review said in one or two areas.

Add to that, room size, room acoustics, positioning and SPL preferences, and it is not much of a surprise that speakers one person loves aren't the ones I would purchase, and vice-versa. Reviews, professional and amateur, are there so we can whittle down those speakers that we may want to, or can, audition. There are literally thousands of speakers out there, and none of us, even professional reviewers, can audition any more than a tiny fraction. We take what we read and apply it to our auditions (either going out to several audio stores or going to I.D companies that allow a free trial period). So take the info I (or others) give you, or dismiss it. It is completely your choice to make.

Good hunting.
^^ Should be a sticky...
post #10 of 13 Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciate your thoughts and helps. I'd reread everything u posted earlier and hopefully i'll find a medium in between. By any chance, if u have any further information to pass along, please help me out. Otherwise, have a great day!
post #11 of 13 Old 08-14-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 685
I would wager you find the speakers bright, if it hurts your ears. I don't typically read about PSB having this tendency, but we all hear differently! I think you need a more laid back speaker, something that isn't going to fatigue you.

I would head down to Best Buy and listen to the new B&W 685 S2. B&W has a laid back warm sound, and are not fatiguing in my opinion (I too dislike bright speakers). I would recommend avoiding brands like Polk, Axiom, Focal, and Klipsch, as these are all known to be a bit brighter than average.

NHT could be a good choice, and while I found them to be a little brighter than my EMP, they aren't harsh and I really enjoy their sound. A pair of NHT Absolute Zero would be a great choice, they are very neutral and have excellent resolution. Those AZ measure better than a lot of studio monitors! They are also sealed and on the smaller side, making them great for a desk, and currently are on sale for $375/pair!
mh522 likes this.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #12 of 13 Old 08-14-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

NHT could be a good choice, and while I found them to be a little brighter than my EMP, they aren't harsh and I really enjoy their sound. A pair of NHT Absolute Zero would be a great choice, they are very neutral and have excellent resolution. Those AZ measure better than a lot of studio monitors! They are also sealed and on the smaller side, making them great for a desk, and currently are on sale for $375/pair!
I'm looking for something soothing and non ear piecing listening equipment. It is very hard for me to describe what i want. Maybe perhaps, bass reflect \ laid back speakers?

Anybody ever own an MBQuart Alexxa model before? I was referred this model of speakers by zieglj01
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-b1pb-pair?pp=24

Also, i've read some reviews saying they were bought by another company because they can't market their own product. Some people said their quality is incomparable to before (Everything like 80% off). As much as i want to pull the trigger on this speakers because it is gorgeous. I would like to know if this is a wise decision.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
I'm looking for something soothing and non ear piecing listening equipment. It is very hard for me to describe what i want. Maybe perhaps, bass reflect \ laid back speakers?

Anybody ever own an MBQuart Alexxa model before? I was referred this model of speakers by zieglj01
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-b1pb-pair?pp=24

Also, i've read some reviews saying they were bought by another company because they can't market their own product. Some people said their quality is incomparable to before (Everything like 80% off). As much as i want to pull the trigger on this speakers because it is gorgeous. I would like to know if this is a wise decision.
I know exactly what you mean by laid back, this is a very common preference and one I also share. My EMPs are laid back, the top rolls off a little sooner than most and they are not fatiguing at all. One owner on here uses the E5Bi on his desk and is happy with them. I think you would like NHT, I own them and like the sound a lot. Also go listen to B&W at Best Buy, they are another more laid back speaker. Energy is also sold at Best Buy and has a similar sound characteristic.
mh522 likes this.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page