Center Channel suggestions/placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Center Channel suggestions/placement

Ok. It has come time to improve my dialogue. (actually it is long overdue) So, obviously I need a center channel. As you can see in the image I am extremely limited on space. I have yet to find something short enough to fit in front of the television. The shortest I can find is the Polk TL1 at 4" high. And as you can see that would not block the screen but would not be aesthetically clean either. My question is two fold.

1. Is there a shorter center channel. (more along the lines of a sound bar shape) That could in fact sit in front of the speaker comfortably. and...

2. Can I put the center channel slightly off-center on the top shelf of the cabinet below the tv...or is that a faux-pas not worth even talking about.

Thanks so much for you help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 463
It is important for the center speaker to match your fronts, otherwise the sound will change as it pans across the front. I think you can fix your dialogue issue with a placement adjustment, instead of a new center. I would rather go without a center than use a mismatched one. Your front speakers, when placed correctly, will create a phantom center effect. What you need to do is pull those speakers forward so they are in line with the front of the cabinet, and then you need to toe them in (turn them) towards your listening position. This allows the imaging to work better and you will hear the sound coming from the middle. Right now you are getting lots of bad reflections off the side walls, and this slight change should improve things a lot.

The speakers should be pointed at you like so: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sur...5-1-setup.html

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
It is important for the center speaker to match your fronts, otherwise the sound will change as it pans across the front

I think this was true before receivers came with auto eq software like audyssey, ypao, etc... . I don't think it matters if the front and centers match any more since any sonic differences get corrected for.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
I think this was true before receivers came with auto eq software like audyssey, ypao, etc... . I don't think it matters if the front and centers match any more since any sonic differences get corrected for.
I think we discussed this before, but EQ can only do so much, speakers will still sound different.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. I will certainly try that.

In the event that doesn't solve the entire issue...can I place a center channel speaker (matched of course) slightly off-center on the shelf below the television...or if there is a very short / thin center channel that might fit directly under the TV.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Off center wouldn't work very well, but there are some low profile options. While it is not a match for your current speakers, HTD makes something that might fit on top of the TV stand: http://www.htd.com/Products/flat-pan...-panel-speaker

I would eventually look to upgrade to matching HTD fronts, but this could be a good stop gap solution.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. Here is what I'm looking for. This of course is NOT a center channel and I realize that. But, is there not a center channel speaker that is shaped like this? And if not, would there not be a market for one?

Old 08-14-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The problem with this is it limits you to very small drivers. You can buy TV stands that are designed to lift the TV up and create space for a center channel. I think this would let you go with something more capable, that can keep up with your mains.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 5.1 system in the basement but upstairs for tv watching I just use front left and right speakers in stereo. Don't miss a center at all. But I also am always sitting right in the center. I prefer phantom center when sitting in the center. Off axis it's not good.

Couldn't you sit your tv on top of a larger center? Or build a simple stand that your tv could sit on and your center would slide underneath? But what I would do is wall mount that tv. Then you wouldn't have to worry about center speaker size.

I agree with Trans - use a matching center. Hell even matching centers don't sound the same as the matching towers or bookshelves due to the design of most center speakers. 3 of the same speaker always sounds better.
Transmaniacon likes this.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
I have a 5.1 system in the basement but upstairs for tv watching I just use front left and right speakers in stereo. Don't miss a center at all. But I also am always sitting right in the center. I prefer phantom center when sitting in the center. Off axis it's not good.

Couldn't you sit your tv on top of a larger center? Or build a simple stand that your tv could sit on and your center would slide underneath? But what I would do is wall mount that tv. Then you wouldn't have to worry about center speaker size.

I agree with Trans - use a matching center. Hell even matching centers don't sound the same as the matching towers or bookshelves due to the design of most center speakers. 3 of the same speaker always sounds better.
Excellent advice, wall-mounting would solve a lot of problems.