Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Polk Audio or KEF

Hi everyone,
I am planning to purchase new music system and i want your help to figure out which one to choose. Purpose of use Music, Gaming, Movies (BRrip)...

For Speakers:
Polk Audio RTi A7 (F), CSI A6 (C), FXI -A6 (R),
Or
Q500 KEF (F), Q200c KEF (C), Q100 KEF (R),

SubWoofer:
Polk Audio DSWPRO660Wi Do i require this powerful sub or should i go for some with low specs.
Or
Q400B KEF 200W

Amplifier:
Marantz SR6008
Or
Onkyo TX-NR838

Please let me help decide which config is best KEF or Polk and Marantz or Onkyo.
Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 185
As owner of Kef Reference going to be biased...had Kef Q in the past they're ok but build is...just okay.

Think Kef are getting over priced now. Also I'd skip Q and go R series, in fact I'd probably prefer R300 over Q500.

But as for sub I'd skip the Kef Q400B and go for SVS SB2000
For choice of amp, I'd buy the Marantz instead of the Onkyo (HDMI faults)

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsumit View Post
Hi everyone,
I am planning to purchase new music system and i want your help to figure out which one to choose. Purpose of use Music, Gaming, Movies (BRrip)...

For Speakers:
Polk Audio RTi A7 (F), CSI A6 (C), FXI -A6 (R),
Or
Q500 KEF (F), Q200c KEF (C), Q100 KEF (R),

SubWoofer:
Polk Audio DSWPRO660Wi Do i require this powerful sub or should i go for some with low specs.
Or
Q400B KEF 200W

Amplifier:
Marantz SR6008
Or
Onkyo TX-NR838

Please let me help decide which config is best KEF or Polk and Marantz or Onkyo.
Thx

KEF on the speakers, that's the easy part.

Subwoofer, neither, but KEF if I had to choose between the two, and if you're getting some kind of deal on it, and that sale price is all you can afford. Amazon has it for $700, and I wouldn't pay that much for it personally. For a $700 single sub I'd look at the HSU VTF 2 Mk IV. I think it's $650ish shipped. It doesn't matter that much which brand sub you match with your mains.

AVR, this is more complicated. I assume your budget is $1000, check out the Onkyo 929. The 838 has Atmos but a new proprietary Room Correction that's not as good as the Onkyo 929's Audyssey. Since you're not buying Atmos speakers, I'd go with the 929 for the same price, unless Atmos is important to you in the future. The Marantz has less power (even considering that they give more conservative wattage estimates) and only Audyssey XT compared to the 929's XT32.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd pick a AVR with no room EQ at all, over a Onkyo with the best version of Audyssey! Been looking at AV pre, Onkyo makes one- would I buy it? No way about £2000.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #5 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 202
If you want kef, get these....

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-maple/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...te-pair/1.html

These are smoking cheap and will sound better than the Q series.
Since you're getting a sub, you don't need towers for the fronts.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

A couple of Kef's were slated, so I'd listen to those XQ's first. Also you can have towers + sub. Running them myself (Kef Reference) Pros and cons of each type.. Really two minds up about subwoofer in a Hi-Fi/ 2 channel. Personally I think for larger room, choose highest quality, largest speakers possible that work for the room, rather than standmounts + sub (own standmounts also)

Kef R300 look interesting, large standmount and with the extra driver should give decent bass response.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #7 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
I'd pick a AVR with no room EQ at all, over a Onkyo with the best version of Audyssey! Been looking at AV pre, Onkyo makes one- would I buy it? No way about £2000.
The HDMI issues with Onkyo were quite some time ago. They are a fine choice, but do run a little warmer than most, Denon is my preference for AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
If you want kef, get these....

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-maple/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...te-pair/1.html

These are smoking cheap and will sound better than the Q series.
Since you're getting a sub, you don't need towers for the fronts.
Those iQ are great, I almost bought a pair back in the day when they were on clearance. But I couldn't live with them not matching, I think the R series would be good to step up to, even if you just start with 2.1.

And the PB-2000 would be a much better choice than that KEF sub, ID brands are the way to go when it comes to subwoofers. Also look at the PSA XV15 and HSU VTF3-MK4.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #8 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
For $200 more (maybe less if you call A4L and see if they can make you a deal) I'd try to get 3 XQ50's across the front if you went that route

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #9 of 10 Old 08-14-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
A couple of Kef's were slated, so I'd listen to those XQ's first. Also you can have towers + sub. Running them myself (Kef Reference) Pros and cons of each type.. Really two minds up about subwoofer in a Hi-Fi/ 2 channel. Personally I think for larger room, choose highest quality, largest speakers possible that work for the room, rather than standmounts + sub (own standmounts also)

Kef R300 look interesting, large standmount and with the extra driver should give decent bass response.

Unless you find someone who owns XQ's, you won't be able to listen to them. KEF stopped making them years ago and no retailor will likely have them.

I own the xq50 and a pair of xq30's. They have the same drivers as the xq10's. I think they sound excellent. Better than the Q series. Not as good as the reference. But at the price being offered, they're a steal. I just ordered the xq50 to use in another setup. $399 is insanely cheap. The 10's aren't made to be stand mounted, although you may be able to rig something up.

As far as needing towers. Logically if you have a sub, all you need is for the sub to deliver up to what your fronts go down to. The 10s go down to 63Hz, which any sub can easily go up to. For most setups the recommend crossover from sub to fronts is between 80 and 120Hz, so it seem spending extra on fronts to deliver down into something you won't use is a waste. But it won't hurt anywhere but the pocketbook to use towers.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-15-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thx all for your suggestions
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page