Help with my very first audio setup - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #31 of 113 Old 08-15-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks, drrussell! Yes, I'm very excited about everything...it's all still a bit intimidating, but I'm trusting all of your judgements.

How does the Outlaw AudioModel 975 sound?

Okay, so changing my choices once more:

1) JBL LSR308 (2 for $200, total of $400)
2) Behringer UCA222 ($30)

For later:

1) Which AVR with pre-outs?
2) Reaction BPS212 ($500)

Mr. Mysterious

Last edited by Mr_Mysterious; 08-15-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 113 Old 08-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 64
the Marantz 1403 has pre-outs for the left and right, and sub. looks like $399. Just the first one I thought of
It's slim-line design may work well for a computer set-up, and also includes Audyssey room correction.

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
post #33 of 113 Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mysterious View Post
Thanks, drrussell! Yes, I'm very excited about everything...it's all still a bit intimidating, but I'm trusting all of your judgements.

For later:

Mr. Mysterious
The Outlaw has its advantages. It has a full set of 7.1 pre-outs, and not bad connectivity otherwise. It has some rudimentary bass management. The Marantz 1403 mentioned above also has its advantages: Audyssey does some equalization, although its a lower end version of Audyssey, it would still be beneficial. You might think about something used as well. You can get a used older receiver that has a beast of an amplifier and tons of connectivity for cheap, because most people are seeking something with HDMI connections. You could probably find a flagship receiver that cost two to three thousand in its release in the mid 2000s for maybe a few hundred now. I have an older Pioneer Elite that weighs 65 lbs thanks to its beefy class D amp. It will never die. Anyway, as for the receiver, I would say deal with that choice when you get to it, because receiver technology is undergoing a lot of changes at the moment. What will be available in the fall will be different than what you can get today.
post #34 of 113 Old 08-16-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

For later:

Sounds great - that will be a lot of sound for a desktop system!

For later, what is an AVR going to give you? You can't use the built in amplifiers with powered speakers and you don't want surround sound so I don't see a reason for an AVR. Is it remote control volume?

Makes sense you ask about the Outlaw 975 - very well reviewed, and as a preamp doesn't have unneeded amplifiers and of course has preamp outputs that would drive your powered speakers and a powered subwoofer. But you are paying a lot for surround and video processing that you will never use - there are more affordable preamps out there.

My favorite small preamp (I have one at work and one at home) is the Parasound ZPre - it is only 9.5" x 2" - list price is $400, but you can get refurb for $300 or used on eBay for $150 to $200 if you look:

Parasound - Zpre2 Audio/Video Preamplifier

Mr_Mysterious likes this.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #35 of 113 Old 08-16-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

All right, so I'm pulling the trigger on the JBL speakers and the Behringer UCA. Thanks everyone for all of your help, I really appreciate it!

Mr. Mysterious
post #36 of 113 Old 08-16-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Let us know how you like it, and go ahead and ask any setup questions if you have them.
post #37 of 113 Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
Why would the OP spend over $300 for a 60W integrated amp when he can get a fully functional AVR with more power for half of that? I wouldn't recommend those Pioneer speakers either - especially for the kind of music that the OP listens to - he needs something with a lot more dynamics. The Pioneer speakers have very warm, smooth response and are a great deal for the money, but it doesn't make sense to spend extra money on an amp and have to buy very low cost speakers. I am sure that these speakers would not meet the OP's expectations. I hope the OP ignores this and goes with more lively speakers or better yet, powered speakers.

A "decent integrated amp like the Yamaha" isn't going to sound any different than the Denon that the OP was considering and will blow the budget - the OP should either get a "budget" sub or skip the AVR altogether and get lower cost powered speakers and a better sub.
You're saying an AVR (which he has no need for as he only wants 2.1) that costs half the price as the Yamaha integrated is going to sound better? You're implying that an avr with more power than an integrated amp will sound as good or better because it has the extra power? This is the kind of advice that will just confuse people and send them down the wrong path. I would never ever recommend someone to buy an avr when they only want 2 channel music. A good integrated amp will sound better than any similarly priced (or even higher priced) avr for 2 channel music. Also a DAC will without a doubt improve music quality when playing from a pc soundcard. Sorry but I just don't understand where you're coming from here. Maybe you're saying that the particular amp I recommended is not very good. I can understand that.

I like the OP's final decision on setup though.
post #38 of 113 Old 08-17-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

For my purposes, is the SB1000 any better than the PB1000?

Mr. Mysterious
post #39 of 113 Old 08-17-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Congratulations on your decision! I think you'll be extremely happy with that choice.

As far as I can determine, you have a small room (less than 1,500 cu. ft.) and will be playing mostly music and not watching movies on your computer screen (or dvds or blu-ray movies) with deep LFE (low frequency effects). I believe the small SB-1000 would fit your musical needs very well. However, if you are not thrilled with its performance, SVS has free shipping back to their facility (within their 45-day trial period). They will gladly refund your money or swap it out for the ported model, the PB-1000 (it's quite a bit larger and heavier) for no charge. Give them a call and talk to them (or you can email them).
post #40 of 113 Old 08-17-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

No, actually....I'll be doing everything. Bass-heavy music, action movies with lots of explosions, video games and such. Based on what I've read, the SB is good for higher low frequency and the PB is better for lower low frequency. Everyone says SVS makes the best, so I should be good to go either way.

Mr. Mysterious
post #41 of 113 Old 08-17-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Okay then! That's a different animal. $500 will get you 3 pretty good subs from 2 different companies. The SVS subs already mentioned, and the Reaction Audio BPS-212 (a sealed design with two 12-inch opposing drivers). Check their website for dimensions and detail information. While I'm pretty sure it does, check with Jeremy at Reaction Audio to make sure it comes with dual RCA inputs and dual RCA outputs like the SVS. I think it's an amazing value for dual 12-inch drivers and will sound terrific in your room. However, Reaction Audio, while having free shipping to your home, does not have free shipping back to their facility (not many I.D. companies do), but I very much doubt you'd return it.

Between the SB and PB-1000s, if you have room for it (check their website for dimensions and detail info), I'd go with the ported PB-1000 (to be on the safe side, between those two). Contact SVS and explain your situation and they can make a recommendation.
post #42 of 113 Old 08-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
, check with Jeremy at Reaction Audio to make sure it comes with dual RCA inputs and dual RCA outputs like the SVS.
Yes, it does.
post #43 of 113 Old 08-17-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I would save up for something better than the SVS 1000s. I would go with the 2000 series at the very least. I wouldn't even be surprised if the JBLs had superior mid bass performance over the 1000s. If you want your bass to hit hard, I doubt the 1000s will cut it.
post #44 of 113 Old 08-17-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well that's odd because I have yet to see a bad review of either the PB or SB 1000s. The PB-2000 is an $800 subwoofer, and I'm sure the possibilities open up at that price range. What are the other possibilities you guys would recommend?

Mr. Mysterious
post #45 of 113 Old 08-17-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it is a bad subwoofer, on the contrary, it has the most extension of any sub at its price that I know if. However, per this measurement, it just doesn't get very loud. On the other hand, it might get more than loud enough for your needs, if you don't intend to crank your system. I think the Reaction BPS 212 could be a good deal more powerful, although it won't quite dig as deep. The Rythmik LV12r will dig as deep and likely have greater dynamic range. The Hsu VTF2 mk4 should have more punch and will dig even deeper. Hsu has a VTF3 in B-stock at the moment, that will pummel you for $700 shipped, and it digs very deep. It is a large subwoofer though. SVS has a SB2000 in their outlet section for $630 shipped, it won't dig real deep but ought to have a lot of punch above 30 Hz. There is a few good options.
post #46 of 113 Old 08-17-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to stay within my limits of $500-$600. As people have said, there are a lot of good possibilities within that price range. I'm curious, both the PB1000 and the 212 have 300W of power that peak at around 700W, so I'm not sure how one could be more powerful than the other.

Mr. Mysterious
post #47 of 113 Old 08-17-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Wattage does not mean much here. Consider that the BPS 212 has nearly 3 times the cone area of the PB1000. It will not need much power to outperform a PB1000. The Pb1000's port likely give it an advantage around 20 Hz, but above that the BPS 212 should have a formidable output advantage.
post #48 of 113 Old 08-17-2014, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Seems like I'll be going with the BPS 212 then. I doubt I'll need so much power lower than 20hz.

Mr. Mysterious
post #49 of 113 Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ I think that is a good decision (not that the PB-1000 would be a bad decision, because it wouldn't be). That's a lot of subwoofer for the money. Just check the overall dimensions of the 212 to see how it will fair in your room. I've heard nothing but good things about Jeremy and the service he provides.
post #50 of 113 Old 08-18-2014, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I have the 212 and frankly, that thing will put out far more than you will ever need for that room. It'll shake the walls of your house.
post #51 of 113 Old 08-18-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, great! A recommendation from personal experience like that is really very helpful!

Edit: Just shipped from Amazon! The estimate states that it should be here by about Wednesday.

Also, I just read a review that stated that for the best results, they have to be positioned about 12" away from the walls or any sound-reflective surfaces. If so, I'm going to have to move around the furniture in my room (which I've been wanting to do anyways) so they can properly fit on the extra ledges on my desk. What do you guys think?

Mr. Mysterious

Last edited by Mr_Mysterious; 08-18-2014 at 12:04 PM.
post #52 of 113 Old 08-18-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ I just took a look at your JBL speakers. I hate to be the bearer of not great news, but the JBL LSR308s do not have standard RCA inputs/outputs on the back. You may want to talk to someone who has these, or recommended these, to see how you are going to hook them up from your computer to the speaker. And how to hook them up when you get the subwoofer when going from your computer to the sub to the speakers. It may not be a problem, but you'll need adapters for the balanced XLR inputs / TRS inputs and someone more knowledgeable than I needs to take the time and explain the hookup to you and where to get the adapters.

I just don't want you to receive these and scratch your head . BTW, the JBLs do look terrific and I bet they'll sound better than they look.
post #53 of 113 Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
^^ I just took a look at your JBL speakers. I hate to be the bearer of not great news, but the JBL LSR308s do not have standard RCA inputs/outputs on the back. You may want to talk to someone who has these, or recommended these, to see how you are going to hook them up from your computer to the speaker. And how to hook them up when you get the subwoofer when going from your computer to the sub to the speakers. It may not be a problem, but you'll need adapters for the balanced XLR inputs / TRS inputs and someone more knowledgeable than I needs to take the time and explain the hookup to you and where to get the adapters.

I just don't want you to receive these and scratch your head . BTW, the JBLs do look terrific and I bet they'll sound better than they look.
There's no issue, he would just use RCA to TRS/XLR. If he ever adds an audio interface or DAC with balanced outputs, then he can switch, but for a nearfield desktop setup balanced connections really aren't necessary.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #54 of 113 Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, so I'm going to need to buy that cable in order to hook up the speakers? How would I hook up both speakers to the computer? Using the RCA splitter?

Mr. Mysterious
post #55 of 113 Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh, so I'm going to need to buy that cable in order to hook up the speakers? How would I hook up both speakers to the computer? Using the RCA splitter?

Mr. Mysterious
You would need a 3.5mm to RCA cable, and then run RCA cables to each speaker from there. You really should invest in a DAC to connect to your computer. The Behringer UCA202 is a good affordable option ($30) and is a big improvement over motherboard audio. This connects via USB to your computer, and then you just run RCA to the speakers.

post #56 of 113 Old 08-18-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, reading some information about connecting XLR speakers to a computer only made me more confused lol. They're talking about balanced vs unbalanced in/outputs. What does all of that mean?

Mr. Mysterious
post #57 of 113 Old 08-18-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Unbalanced cables, like standard RCA cables have two wires, a single signal wire and ground wire. Balanced cables have two signal wires and a ground wire. Balanced cables are used for longer cable runs, such as 20 feet and over, while unbalanced are used for anything under 20 feet long. The idea is, that the longer the cable run the more it is susceptible to outside interference and noise. The balanced cable is just as susceptible, but the signal path of those two wires are out of phase as it goes down the line, then the signals get coupled in phase at the connection point which drops out any of the interference. Or something like that .
post #58 of 113 Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Sorry, but I cannot let this one go...

Quote:
As for the AVR, I don't need a wildly complicated, bleeding-edge design, merely a no-frills machine that will do a good job well within its expectations. I've been looking at the Denon AVR E-200/300 for that, namely the refurbished ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
Here is what I would do. Completely disregard your friends suggestions. Buy the Yamaha A-S300 integrated amp for $330. (used on Amazon for $240 now!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
Why would the OP spend over $300 (correction $240) for a 60W integrated amp when he can get a fully functional AVR with more power for half of that?
Quote:
You're saying an AVR (which he has no need for as he only wants 2.1) that costs half the price as the Yamaha integrated is going to sound better? You're implying that an avr with more power than an integrated amp will sound as good or better because it has the extra power?
No I am not saying that - I am saying it will sound exactly the same. The difference between 60W / ch (more expensive Yamaha) and the 75W / ch (less expensive Denon) isn't enough power to make a difference. The larger power supply and the discrete amplifiers (no they aren't IC amplifiers in a Denon) will give actually give the Denon the edge when it comes to headroom. The Yamaha even requires a rear panel bias switch for 6 Ohm speakers - the Denon is rated for 110W into 6 Ohms with no bias switch (superior power supply, cooling, and amplifier section to not require a bias switch).

Quote:
This is the kind of advice that will just confuse people and send them down the wrong path. I would never ever recommend someone to buy an avr when they only want 2 channel music. A good integrated amp will sound better than any similarly priced (or even higher priced) avr for 2 channel music.
That is nonsense. Only using 2 channels is less strain on a 7 channel AVR and it will perform just as well as a 2 Ch Yamaha (7 Ch AVR less 5 amplifiers, larger power supply, tuner and video switching).

Quote:
I like the OP's final decision on setup though.
I do too - nice job on something I hope will be enjoyed for a long time.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #59 of 113 Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Unbalanced cables, like standard RCA cables have two wires, a single signal wire and ground wire. Balanced cables have two signal wires and a ground wire. Balanced cables are used for longer cable runs, such as 20 feet and over, while unbalanced are used for anything under 20 feet long. The idea is, that the longer the cable run the more it is susceptible to outside interference and noise. The balanced cable is just as susceptible, but the signal path of those two wires are out of phase as it goes down the line, then the signals get coupled in phase at the connection point which drops out any of the interference. Or something like that .
Oh, so it has nothing to do with the music quality or anything lol. I get it now.

Mr. Mysterious
post #60 of 113 Old 08-19-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh, so it has nothing to do with the music quality or anything lol. I get it now.

Mr. Mysterious
Don't worry about balanced connections for a nearfield setup, as @dsrussell pointed out the cable lengths are not long enough to matter.

+1 to @mtn-tech , there is no difference in sound quality between that Yamaha integrated and an AVR. The reason the AVR is cheaper is because of sales volumes. The more units you sell, the cheaper shipping is, and the cheaper you can get the parts for.
mtn-tech likes this.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page