Trying to narrow down my speaker choices - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which speakers would you suggest. Please comment on your choice(s)
Tekton M-Lore 0 0%
EMP Tek E55Ti 0 0%
HSU HC-1 ML2 0 0%
HSU HB-1 ML2 + HC-1 MK2 Center 1 20.00%
Swan Diva D2.1SE+ 0 0%
Ascent Accoustics Sierra-1 (b-stock) 3 60.00%
Chane Arx A3rx-c 0 0%
Other (like I need anymore options haha) 1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2014, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Trying to narrow down my speaker choices

I'm currently looking for a new set of speakers in the $650 range or lower and will be looking into b-stock where possible. Budget is tight but I think with all the ID companies I can upgrade what I currently own and be able to upgrade. As of now I'm using a pair of Angstrom Modular 4 bookshelf speakers (original price under $1000) and there aren't a whole lot of reviews. I did find one person who compared them directly with the Axiom M60 and found they sounded a lot alike although the M60's were a tad brighter due to it having a metal tweeter vs the Vifa silk dome of the Angstroms. I actually prefer silk dome myself as anything too bright will give me a horrible headache. The review did pick up the M60's thoough.

Won't really say which I listen to more, music or movies as a speaker should to both just fine. So unless there is some huge discrepency with the speaker it's not an issue for me I do listen to reference occasionally (and sometimes above). I'm in a townhouse but when I move to a house then I don't have to worry as much. So I will listen to it pretty low at times (night) and very loud when it strikes me. As previously said, if it's in anyway bright it probably won't work for me. I'm also unable to audition so I'm taking a risk as I live in Canada. I do have a sub already so it doesn't matter if it's required or not. Will eventually go 5.1 with whatever I choose.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the M-Lores are probably my first choice at this point by a fair amount and then next would be one of the HSU choices as it is much more practical cost wise. Although I do want to own this speakers for a long time. Arg!! Too many decisions.

Sorry but my list is pretty big but I believe I've got all the big contenders in this price range...

First off is the Tekton M-Lore sitting in at $650 which is the top of my budget. Have heard nothing but good things about the speaker itself. I know there have been other issues and working with Eric can be a tad on the slow side I'm not too worried about that as long as he takes my money and sends me the speakers haha.

Second is the EMP Tek E55Ti. Yes, higher than my budget but I know someone will mention these speakers. If I can find b-stock then they drop into my range.

Next is the HSU HC-1 MK2 as they can be used as L/C/R if desired (and rosewood is what I'm going to pick if I go this route). I've heard such good things that they are probably my second choice behind the Tektons. As a second option I am considering getting 2 of the HB-1 MK2 and 1 HC-1 MK2 which would put me ahead of all the other options as I'd only need the rears.

Swan D2.1SE+. Only $20 above my budget so that isn't too bad if they are the clear winner in this price performance shootout. I hear they are beautiful speakers as well as having great reviews.

Ascend Sierra-1. They have b-stock which drops it down to slightly over the price of the Swans. Same considerations apply.

Last and hopefully not least are the Chane Arx A3rx-c which is a great price at $538. Not sure if they can compete with the other speakers, especially the M-Lores.

Hmm, last edit didn't take for some reason. I'm leaning heavily towards the M-Lores, if you know anything about them I'm sure you know why. On the more practical side my first choice would be one of the HSU configurations. There is a slim possibility that I could go on the higher end of my budget as I'm trying to sell my Alesis active monitors and the Angstrom Mod 4s so that will bring in a bit more. Speakers seem to be a tough sell though so I'm not counting on it.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot

Last edited by Nodscene; 08-16-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow, not one recommendation haha. I guess it's a good thing because I just scored a used pair of M-Lores so this is pointless now.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot