post #1 of 7 Old 08-16-2014, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
C44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upgrading to 7.1

Hi folks,

I'm slowly building up my home theatre set up. I currently have a Yamaha RX-A3030 powering up a 5.1 set up of Paradigm speakers and a SVS PB13 Ultra sub.

My next purchase will be a set of floor stand speakers. My current front left and right will be moved to the rear giving me 4 surround speakers. I'm contemplating getting Paradigm's Studio 60 v.5. The jump up to the 100 line is an option, but the added $1000 is a tad high, would really have to be sold on it to make that upgrade.

The system will be a dual use set up. Movies of course, and as a back up soundtrack to my guitar and bass when I play Rocksmith. I run my guitars through an a/b-y splitter box to a pair of amps (Hughes & Kettner tubemeister 18w and a Fender deluxe reverb reissue). The volume levels currently on my 5.1 is adequate, but it's lacking midrange. My SVS is great for LFE but does not deliver in filling in the mid range, and neither do my current Paradigm set up. I'm hoping that the Studio 60 v.5 will fill in the void.

Any feed back would be appreciated.
Cheers

Edit: my current Paradigm speakers are Titan Monitor v.5s. Centre, fronts and rears.

Last edited by C44; 08-16-2014 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by C44 View Post
Hi folks,

I'm slowly building up my home theatre set up. I currently have a Yamaha RX-A3030 powering up a 5.1 set up of Paradigm speakers and a SVS PB13 Ultra sub.

My next purchase will be a set of floor stand speakers. My current front left and right will be moved to the rear giving me 4 surround speakers. I'm contemplating getting Paradigm's Studio 60 v.5. The jump up to the 100 line is an option, but the added $1000 is a tad high, would really have to be sold on it to make that upgrade.

The system will be a dual use set up. Movies of course, and as a back up soundtrack to my guitar and bass when I play Rocksmith. I run my guitars through an a/b-y splitter box to a pair of amps (Hughes & Kettner tubemeister 18w and a Fender deluxe reverb reissue). The volume levels currently on my 5.1 is adequate, but it's lacking midrange. My SVS is great for LFE but does not deliver in filling in the mid range, and neither do my current Paradigm set up. I'm hoping that the Studio 60 v.5 will fill in the void.

Any feed back would be appreciated.
Cheers

Edit: my current Paradigm speakers are Titan Monitor v.5s. Centre, fronts and rears.
Look like you have decsent system.
I got a 7.2 using the same Sub/s.

7.1 add a little!
My personal preference "is" if a movie is 5.1 and most, are "I leave it , at that".
If it is 7.1, It is some extra icing on the cake

So 2 more channels will require some power (AVR or Amps).
If you can do it, the more power to You, if Not do not loose sleep over it.

7.1 is nice but not realy needed, just like if I go for 9.2 or 11.2 (lots more money for a little returned.

I Hope others shim in on the difference between "Paradigm's Studio 60 v.5. The jump up to the 100'

I DO NOT know those speakers, so I cannot Help.
That said, I would think, they sound pretty much the same for the exception of the 100 going lower in the Bass department and you got this cover with the SVS.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #3 of 7 Old 08-16-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I agree and disagree. If you have room, 7.1 adds more than a little. It brings the sound 360. I will name 3 distinct scenes. In the Immortals when Zeus comes down and kills Apollo with the fire whip you here it go all the way around. Underworld Evolution where Kate is firing at the first appearance of the Giant Werewolf, there is one point where shots are straight from behind. The Mummy 3 in the snow village where the Yeti come down and encircle the bad guys from the tops of the building. I will even ad a 4th. The at the end of the Run Dash Run scene in the Incredibles where Dash goes into the cave and turns around and runs back on the ceiling. It splits from front right to back left right over my head.

My two cents.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
I agree and disagree. If you have room, 7.1 adds more than a little. It brings the sound 360. I will name 3 distinct scenes. In the Immortals when Zeus comes down and kills Apollo with the fire whip you here it go all the way around. Underworld Evolution where Kate is firing at the first appearance of the Giant Werewolf, there is one point where shots are straight from behind. The Mummy 3 in the snow village where the Yeti come down and encircle the bad guys from the tops of the building. I will even ad a 4th. The at the end of the Run Dash Run scene in the Incredibles where Dash goes into the cave and turns around and runs back on the ceiling. It splits from front right to back left right over my head.

My two cents.
Not to desagree, because I Do.
Just try to point out 7.1 over 5.1 is if you can afford it to go with it.
If not, only a few movies will give you the perfect moment to make you smile

Nice system and room by the way!

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #5 of 7 Old 08-16-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Not to desagree, because I Do.
Just try to point out 7.1 over 5.1 is if you can afford it to go with it.
If not, only a few movies will give you the perfect moment to make you smile

Nice system and room by the way!

Ray

Thanks, and my new room is why I was emphasizing the right room. I had a 5.1 setup in an 11x11 room before and there was no need to take it to 7.1. Once I made the larger room, there was no question.
darthray likes this.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-17-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
C44

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have decided to purchase the SVS ultra towers over the Paradigm towers. They're $1000 cheaper and based on the reviews I've read on the ultra towers and my recent PB13 Ultra sub acquisition, I couldn't see any reason to shell out the extra 1k. The order has been placed, hopefully the shipment won't take too long!

My only real concern will be the interaction (timbre) between the towers and my centre speaker (Paradigm Titan Monitor). I'm hoping they will blend in.

In anticipation of my soon to be 7.1 theatre, I went out last night to a local future shop to upgrade a few standard DVD's to Blu-Ray. Repurchased Contact, Saving Private Ryan and Master and Commander.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C44 View Post
I have decided to purchase the SVS ultra towers over the Paradigm towers. They're $1000 cheaper and based on the reviews I've read on the ultra towers and my recent PB13 Ultra sub acquisition, I couldn't see any reason to shell out the extra 1k. The order has been placed, hopefully the shipment won't take too long!

My only real concern will be the interaction (timbre) between the towers and my centre speaker (Paradigm Titan Monitor). I'm hoping they will blend in.

In anticipation of my soon to be 7.1 theatre, I went out last night to a local future shop to upgrade a few standard DVD's to Blu-Ray. Repurchased Contact, Saving Private Ryan and Master and Commander.
I think you will be very Happy with the SVS ultra towers.
They were on my very short list of what to get next.
I end up with these
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker

You did not mention if you are getting or will in the future, get the SVS ultra center.
Your front 3 speakers need to be timbre match.
Surronds are far less important, timber match is nice but with surronds duty far less important than your font stage.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page