setup help - 2.0 vs 2/3.1 speaker matching - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
setup help - 2.0 vs 2/3.1 speaker matching

I have posted similar questions before and gotten great advice - I think those patient enough to help out.

Quick review of what I currently have and what I am trying achieve...

Marantz 1605 Receiver 50 per channel
Front L/R = Infinity alpha 50 towers (8 in dual woofers, mid and tweeter 91 DB) (despite their age, still sound great, currently bi-amped/wired)
Klipsch kc-25 center
klipsch sw350 sub
connected to a panasonic p50st 60
inputs - apple tv, fios quantum cable/internet
mac mini (thinking of selling dont use much)
ps3

This is al in my basement right now where predominately I want to optimize for listening to music - however, having a decent setup for movies is a close second for this room

I also have two polk bookshelf speakers (t15) and a denon avr 791 that used to be my only amp.

So my predicament is, for lack of a better word, I really like the way my infinities sound and through the research I have done on possibly upgrading these speakers I can't seem to find a pair that wouldn't set me back over 1500 for the set of two that I would deem a better fit for my type of listening...

I don't care much for surround sound and have found audyssey on both amps to not be as easily configured as people make it out to be - I have gotten sick of switching around different settings (especially on the marantz) as the options seem to be over simplified or never sound quite loud enough if I choose to not use Multi eq, etc.

I want a solid 2 or 2/3.1 set up in my basement for music and occasionally movies and I think the Klipsch center is quite capable of delivering that with my towers - however, I am aware the timber/etc. of these speakers are not matching and wish I had something that would match m infinity towers instead.

Also, I believe the Marantz while plenty capable of pushing these speakers (perhaps i need to tweak some set up or settings to change this) seems a little light in power when I am playing loud music.

Also - I struggle with settings crossovers/dynamic range compression settings and more as i do not have a tipical 5.1 surround system. I have read dozens of articles and tips (including batpigs page) and still find it difficult to find an easy way to use the marantz receiver unless i simply plug, calibrate and let auddyssey run it.

I also dont think I can find a center taht will match with the infinity towers becuase they have 15 or so years on them and use CMMD as opposed to more common materials.

any suggestions for a good matching center that would work better for this set up?

should i use my denon which has a bit more power in the basement running a simple 2.1 or 2.0 set up instead of the marantz and build out a surround system in my living room upstairs? I think the polks would be more than capable of functioning as either surrounds or even stereo speakers for that extra room

i keep looking at newer speakers to replace the infinities and i have budget to spend but i don't want to upgrade just to upgrade ...

this is my conundrum as i know little about setting up surround or good acoustic pairings for speakers and amps but I have a great appreciation for powerful, clean sound and I just want to find a simple way to make the bset use of what i have or upgrade if it makes more sense.

questions are welcome as i am sure this is a bit all over the place.

Thanks again in advance for anyone willing to help out a newb with a desire to learn more and great appreciate for good sound but lacking the know how/experience and perhaps some key component parts.

TP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Just keep on looking on auction sites, craigslist and other second hand forums. Problem with older speakers, if you try to find matching center...have Celestion A1 in the Hifi but I'm looking for the A4C just in case I want to use them in surround system or perhaps if the Hifi expands to surround for SACD or other multi channel audio. Same the the HT trying to find matching Kef Reference is pretty hard.

I'd contact Infinity ask them what center from the current range matches as close as possible to yours.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Infinity Alpha center channel is here, on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITY-Alp...item540ea8c9ec

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Infinity Alpha center channel is here, on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITY-Alp...item540ea8c9ec
thanks! I took a quick view and other items suggested and I see another alpha listing but the speaker looks different. Perhaps I need to contact infinity like suggested by previous answer in this thread to know which speaker would be the right fit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-Alp...3D361023195628

RIght now i am also trying to determine if i want to upgrade my amp/receiver due to the marantz not being especially powerful....

I am looking at multi channel audio players and was thinking the marantz sr5009 might be a good choice.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=SR5009

Given it has 6.1 audio in?

thoughts?
post #5 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim@gmail.com View Post
thanks! I took a quick view and other items suggested and I see another alpha listing but the speaker looks different. Perhaps I need to contact infinity like suggested by previous answer in this thread to know which speaker would be the right fit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-Alp...3D361023195628

I am looking at multi channel audio players and was thinking the marantz sr5009 might be a good choice.

thoughts?
Both of the Infinity center speakers will timbre (voice tone) match, the Infinity Alpha speakers.
The one I linked is a 3-way speaker - that will give you better voice and midrange performance.

The Marantz is a nice receiver option - 6.1 is not exciting to me - I prefer 5.1 or 7.1

Your call

post #6 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Both of the Infinity center speakers will timbre (voice tone) match, the Infinity Alpha speakers.
The one I linked is a 3-way speaker - that will give you better voice and midrange performance.

The Marantz is a nice receiver option - 6.1 is not exciting to me - I prefer 5.1 or 7.1

Your call
I was thinking about the number of channels of audio in because I was under the impression that DVD Audio/HD Audio, etc. require multiple separate inputs to output multi channel audio correctly. I could certainly be wrong on that so interested if anyone here might have helpful advice in that arena.

Thanks for your help, hopefully I can round out to 3.1 with the right front match - surround would be an extra benefit but definitely not necessary for my use.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I was thinking about the number of channels of audio in because I was under the impression that DVD Audio/HD Audio, etc. require multiple separate inputs to output multi channel audio correctly. I could certainly be wrong on that so interested if anyone here might have helpful advice in that arena.

Thanks for your help, hopefully I can round out to 3.1 with the right front match - surround would be an extra benefit but definitely not necessary for my use.
For most sources you can use HDMI

What sources do you have - what do you plan to play, and hook-up to your receiver?

post #8 of 13 Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For most sources you can use HDMI

What sources do you have - what do you plan to play, and hook-up to your receiver?
perhaps this will help clarify what ideally I would like to be able to do...

I listen to a lot of music - however these days I find myself switching between itunes, streaming services such as spotify, rhapsody and google play is the newest service I am using. I find that the convenience factor is great, and I have no problems hooking this into the reciever on the fly through bluetooth, hdmi, or other connection based on the device it is stored on etc.

however - the sound quality differs from each and the settings of how the audio is playing from the receiver seem to need adjusting all the time to get a decent sound. even when running stereo with a 2.1 set up.

I was plugging in my blue ray (ps3) the other day and noticed it comes through the amp as multi channel audio (i think) and it reminded me of when i bought my infinity speakers years ago and someone was demoing a super audio system near by and tried to sell me on it. while it sounded good, i thought given the limited amount of material i could get my hands on at the time (and the cost) my two speaker set up would be best. and it was - half the time the two infinity alpha 50s and a sub for some scenarios was preferred by all over any 5.1, 7.1 type system that was out and didnt cost over 1200 dollars.

coming back around I am wondering if I want great audio sound what components and media format will i need to do so and i came across some threats on HD audio/multi channel audio. I understand in many cases great music can also be enjoyed in stereo sound on a 2.1 system and I would like to explore that as well.

I am not sure I am ready a true bi amp set up with external amps on the marantz - but I was thinking of looking into something like the marantz sr 5009 or simliar paired with a high quality CD or other player device that hookds into my receiver.

I want to know what people are doing these days with respect to the goals i have above

looking for suggestions on formats for high quality digital music - i listen to mostly older recordings like clapton, mark knopfler, stevie, and others so i guess classical isn't my focus - however i do love a good jazz track

Looking for suggestions on set up - right now i have a 3.1 or 2.1 or could go 2.0 depending on what folks think is best - i really only want the center channel for movies and football season coming up

in addition can someone provide some "novice type" advice to me on what type of a set up is normally used and if my current equipment is well suited or not?

happy to explain further what i am trying to accomplish and i apologize if it I am not posting the question correctly or clearly enough. I am new to the site and research online is sending me in circles - i would rather hear it from one of the pros.

thanks again!
post #9 of 13 Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For mainly 2.0 or 2.1 in music. I would use stereo and set the receiver for stereo. A more powerful receiver
can drive your speakers better. The biggest difference in sound quality comes from speaker upgrades.

A good receiver already has a built-in DAC for playing sources. Multi channel stereo can sometimes sound
thin to me - and for multi channel stereo or multi channel surround sound, it needs to recorded that way.
If it is not, then it does sound somewhat thin to me.

I, and a lot of us do not passive bi-amp our speakers from the receiver - it is a waste of wire. A good speaker
is a good speaker and gives good sound with normal hookup.

Most of us do enjoy or play our music 2.0, or 2.1 and enjoy this with good speakers, that can and do image
good and will throw a good soundstage with nice/good detail, definition and depth. How your speakers are
placed and set-up in the room is also important.

I play and enjoy good CDs on my blueray player and I can stream music from my Roku 3 if I desire. For the
HD CD audio, I look for good prices from Amazon - a lot of high definition CDs are expensive and are Over-
priced, and some of them are not head and shoulders better over a good recorded regular CD.

Last edited by zieglj01; Yesterday at 08:08 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

thanks - that helps. My speakers are bi-amped passively and i do notice a difference in sound - however I am not sure it is necessarily better than a normal hook up. I plan to go back to a regular hook up on the next setup.

Any suggestions on a set up speakers for the $1000 (for the pair) price range that would be better than the Alpha 50's I have now? I know better is subjective but just curious of your opinion.

Also - do you think the marantz is a underpowered AMP? If so, any suggestions on a upgrade?
post #11 of 13 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
thanks - that helps. My speakers are bi-amped passively and i do notice a difference in sound - however I am not sure it is necessarily better than a normal hook up. I plan to go back to a regular hook up on the next setup.

Any suggestions on a set up speakers for the $1000 (for the pair) price range that would be better than the Alpha 50's I have now? I know better is subjective but just curious of your opinion.

Also - do you think the marantz is a underpowered AMP? If so, any suggestions on a upgrade?
Most of us do not hear a difference with passive bi-amping > however, to each their own.

If your room can handle it, then the Boston M340 at AC4L
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...h-black/1.html

Or, Boston RS334 speakers
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ack-new/1.html

Your small receiver is mainly lacking headroom for dynamic peaks

Something like a more powerful Marantz (5008/5009) would help things
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

Or, even the Denon X2000
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX2...nd.html?tp=179

Last edited by zieglj01; Yesterday at 10:19 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old Today, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Most of us do not hear a difference with passive bi-amping > however, to each their own.

If your room can handle it, then the Boston M340 at AC4L
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...h-black/1.html

Or, Boston RS334 speakers
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ack-new/1.html

Your small receiver is mainly lacking headroom for dynamic peaks

Something like a more powerful Marantz (5008/5009) would help things
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

Or, even the Denon X2000
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX2...nd.html?tp=179
i think i am going to purchase a better receiver and look to upgrade speakers after that - the sr5009 looks like plenty for what i would use it for.

I notice the speakers you sent (at least the first boston link) were 4 Ohm speakers - i am vaguely familiar with the concept of impedance but i am curious as to what the benefits would be of 4 vs 8 if any at all or is it just a difference in how power is used by the speaker?
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
i think i am going to purchase a better receiver and look to upgrade speakers after that - the sr5009 looks like plenty for what i would use it for.

I notice the speakers you sent (at least the first boston link) were 4 Ohm speakers - i am vaguely familiar with the concept of impedance but i am curious as to what the benefits would be of 4 vs 8 if any at all or is it just a difference in how power is used by the speaker?
Lower impedance can put more stress on a receiver - however unless you are an extreme head-banger,
you can run the M340 on the Marantz. The Marantz has pre-outs to add a power amp in the future if you
so desire.

The RS334 will be an easier load for the Marantz receiver to drive.

Reply Speakers

Tags
setup help , speaker advice

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page