Old 08-17-2014, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
speaker advice

Hi can I get some advice for a future 5.1 that I be building

Emptek 5 series http://emptek.com/impseries.php they have the whole package
HTD Level Three http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers they have the whole package
Chane A rx-c series http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chane-arx-loudspeakers I dont like they dont come in bipole/dipole
XTZ 99.36 http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/Speak...ii-piano-black center and surround? all I can find is that they have great drivers
XTZ Cinema series http://www.xtzsound.com/cinema-series 3x M6 and 2x S5. not a lot of review but one I found a person comparing them to his Monitor Audio Platinum and he loved the XTZ cinema a tad more it seem.

So being a completely new to the HT world would I really tell a difference in sound?
As far as setup i plan on using my computer to play the movies so dont know what else I would need as far as hook ups. Since my PS3 died I dont plan on buying another system.
Room size I dont have dimension yet as we would start looking for a house in a few months.
I would say 100% movies.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 502
That's a very nice list of speakers. I wouldn't mind having any of them. Looks like you've done your homework. I think Jim Wilson reviewed an XTZ product (don't remember which one, so you might want to check on HomeTheaterShack or PM him). I haven't auditioned any on that list, but I've been looking closely at EMP Tek for one of the rooms in my house.

My only suggestion is you might be better off buying a sub from one of the well-known subwoofer I.D. companies (Hsu, PSA, Reaction Audio, Rythmik Audio, SVS).

Best of luck on your search.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 327
First time I see those XTZ and those are pretty good drivers , Seas and the ribbon tweeter looks exactly or they probably are Fountek ribbons.

http://www.fountek.net/products.asp?id=44

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
That's a very nice list of speakers. I wouldn't mind having any of them. Looks like you've done your homework. I think Jim Wilson reviewed an XTZ product (don't remember which one, so you might want to check on HomeTheaterShack or PM him). I haven't auditioned any on that list, but I've been looking closely at EMP Tek for one of the rooms in my house.

My only suggestion is you might be better off buying a sub from one of the well-known subwoofer I.D. companies (Hsu, PSA, Reaction Audio, Rythmik Audio, SVS).

Best of luck on your search.
I believe he reviewed one of their sub or it was a speaker from the lower series I cant remember.
Yes forgot to mention about the sub, most likely would be a SVS,HSU or maybe that XTZ 1x12 sub

But any suggestion for a 1st time buyer
Would it be better to save and get a higher level of sound if you can actually tell the difference or just get one of the less expensive options

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
First time I see those XTZ and those are pretty good drivers , Seas and the ribbon tweeter looks exactly or they probably are Fountek ribbons.

http://www.fountek.net/products.asp?id=44
From what I could find they been around for some time but now available here in USA, and overseas they get good reviews.
Maybe that a reason I am intrigued by them as they are coming to the USA now and the good reviews.
But before I found them I was set on buying a complete system from one of the other I listed.
I read that the cinema series is more towards movies but still wondering if I would really appreciate the cinema over those other options
As I dont plan on buying any more speaker just a set to setup a good room for movies.

I know most people buy a lower grade set and later upgrade but I think is easier to get a good set and forget about upgrades as far as speaker itself.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 502
A couple of questions. What is your budget? What is the size of your room? Is it open to other rooms? And if you haven't read cel's FAQ, it's got some solid information : Basic Speaker Setup FAQ

There is never a rush. If you have time, spend that time by going out to audio stores and auditioning various speakers (towers and bookshelf speakers). You need to have a feel of what you like and don't like in a speaker. You may find something out of left field that you love.

I also wouldn't worry about matching all your speakers from one company. It's a pretty good idea to match the front speakers to the center speaker, but one doesn't have to go with the same company for surrounds, and certainly not a subwoofer. Just pick the speakers you feel have the best value, read the reviews, and once you're ready, bite the bullet. Some of these companies give you a 30-day trial period. Use that to your advantage. And if you're not thrilled, ship them back. Yes, it will cost you the shipping back, so check with each company on shipping costs.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
Hi can I get some advice for a future 5.1 that I be building

So being a completely new to the HT world would I really tell a difference in sound?
Most likely not but definitely no if you don't compare them directly head to head.

I'd say just buy one of your excellent choices and then forget about it. You'll be happy with whatever you chose.