Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos? - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 688Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2251 of 2544 Old 02-21-2017, 04:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just installed Martin Logan ML 80i, 8 inch ceiling speakers to complete atmos set up. Sound great with my Revel 208's up front and Paradigm ADP sides and back surrounds. Just another to think about.
RobertHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2252 of 2544 Old 02-23-2017, 07:45 PM
Member
 
HotWheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Based on opinions here I decided to go RSL. The low profile worked better than I thought in my suspended ceiling. Got the 4 speakers mounted and will do the wiring tomorrow evening. One person job since the speakers are fairly light. Just mounted them to the tile while it was out and put everything in at once. Having done various things in my room pulling those tiles in and out has been a drag and I look forward to this being a nice end to that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atmos1a.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	1989945  
HotWheelz is offline  
post #2253 of 2544 Old 02-24-2017, 04:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumate View Post
Well I am late to this thread and will have to read it all in full tonight when I get home because I have my ceilings being installed this week. These are what I purchased. I've listen to a lot of the high end ceilings from DT, Martin, ect and from what I've seen at least is there isn't a ton of powerful stuff coming through *at least for now*, it's more "atmospheric..imagine that" lol. So I spent the large portion of my budget on L/R/C and the AVR. So with that...this is what I purchased.

Yamaha NS-IW480CWH 8 " 3-way In-ceiling Speaker System

The reviews are great everywhere on them. (as Atmos ect).



Yamaha NS-IW560C 8" 2-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System

I've debated thou if I should get these instead. I found out about them after I ordered the 480's and I haven't heard them but I assuming that the increase price/kevlar will make it sound better? Anyone own these or can tell me why they would be a good or horrible choice? I can easily take them back if someone makes a valid point but I assume they will be plenty fine for atmos?

Also does anyone know a cheap enclosure to put on these speakers in the attic. I've seen the baffle mats you can buy but heard that hurts the base. I've also been told that putting a 5 gallon bucket over them to protect really brings out the sound. Personally I just want something to reduce the sound in the attic spreading through the house and maybe some sound improvement. I was thinking of using a rubber bucket (heavy duty and putting over them lol)


I have a Marantz SR 6011 powering them.
Just an update for these. These speakers sound amazing for atmos. They are installed and exceed my expectations. Last night watched the New Blair Witch in atmos and there is a scene where they are in a house and someone ran upstairs from right to left then closed a door they went through. It sounded like I had magically added a third floor to my house and someone was running above us. Atmos is the real deal.
Kumate is offline  
 
post #2254 of 2544 Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 PM
Member
 
HotWheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Got my RSL speakers wired in and running this evening. Just listened to the entire Atmos demo disk so far. Still need to redo the room correction on my Anthem, but so far very happy.
HotWheelz is offline  
post #2255 of 2544 Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Newbie789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumate View Post
Well I am late to this thread and will have to read it all in full tonight when I get home because I have my ceilings being installed this week. These are what I purchased. I've listen to a lot of the high end ceilings from DT, Martin, ect and from what I've seen at least is there isn't a ton of powerful stuff coming through *at least for now*, it's more "atmospheric..imagine that" lol. So I spent the large portion of my budget on L/R/C and the AVR. So with that...this is what I purchased.

Yamaha NS-IW480CWH 8 " 3-way In-ceiling Speaker System

The reviews are great everywhere on them. (as Atmos ect).



Yamaha NS-IW560C 8" 2-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System

I've debated thou if I should get these instead. I found out about them after I ordered the 480's and I haven't heard them but I assuming that the increase price/kevlar will make it sound better? Anyone own these or can tell me why they would be a good or horrible choice? I can easily take them back if someone makes a valid point but I assume they will be plenty fine for atmos?

Also does anyone know a cheap enclosure to put on these speakers in the attic. I've seen the baffle mats you can buy but heard that hurts the base. I've also been told that putting a 5 gallon bucket over them to protect really brings out the sound. Personally I just want something to reduce the sound in the attic spreading through the house and maybe some sound improvement. I was thinking of using a rubber bucket (heavy duty and putting over them lol)


I have a Marantz SR 6011 powering them.


If you have access then I'd recommend building a 5/8 plywood or mdf box around them and lining it with mineral wool insulation. Mineral wool is dense and its great for stopping noise transfer. Also the top of the box should not touch any structure above it - decoupling.

If you want to go further dynomat can be applied to the outside of your wood/mdf box.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newbie789 is offline  
post #2256 of 2544 Old 02-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Superman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Looking to get RC60i polks for my .4 in the ceilings; I'm currently running a full Rtia series for my 7 speakers, but I've noticed the sc80 has adjustable tweeters so I'm kinda stuck between these two and not sure if the adjustable tweeters are that important. Anyone running any of these sets for Atmos??
Superman2 is offline  
post #2257 of 2544 Old 02-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have similar speakers as those polks. I feel the directional tweeters really help mine atmos system but I think they would sound great either way.
Kumate is offline  
post #2258 of 2544 Old 02-25-2017, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Methodical_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post
Looking to get RC60i polks for my .4 in the ceilings; I'm currently running a full Rtia series for my 7 speakers, but I've noticed the sc80 has adjustable tweeters so I'm kinda stuck between these two and not sure if the adjustable tweeters are that important. Anyone running any of these sets for Atmos??
I don't have these speakers, but if it were me, I'd get the ones that have adjustable tweeters, so that I could angle them toward the listening position.
yanks1 likes this.

HT Configuration: 7.2.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Polk LSiM 707s, 706c, FXi-30 l Infinity ERS-610 l SVS PB-2000 l Monolith 7 l Behringer A500 (2x) l Oppo BD-93 l MH mmf-9.3 l Cassette Deck.

"Never be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs build the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
Methodical_1 is offline  
post #2259 of 2544 Old 02-26-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
I don't have these speakers, but if it were me, I'd get the ones that have adjustable tweeters, so that I could angle them toward the listening position.
Second that - give yourself the flexibility!

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is online now  
post #2260 of 2544 Old 02-27-2017, 11:16 AM
Member
 
tibimakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 41
tibimakai is offline  
post #2261 of 2544 Old 02-28-2017, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post
Looking to get RC60i polks for my .4 in the ceilings; I'm currently running a full Rtia series for my 7 speakers, but I've noticed the sc80 has adjustable tweeters so I'm kinda stuck between these two and not sure if the adjustable tweeters are that important. Anyone running any of these sets for Atmos??
I was struggling between those two as well. I ended up getting the MC60, based on Polk's advice. MC's have adjustable tweeter.
Hellohowareyou is online now  
post #2262 of 2544 Old 02-28-2017, 09:25 AM
Newbie
 
zambine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
Seems like those may be overkill to me. I am very happy with my Monoprice 6.5" speakers with the added back enclosures. I'm surprised more people on this thread, especially the ones concerned with low frequency response, have not mentioned enclosures for their in-ceiling speakers. In addition, if you are concerned about sound bleeding into other rooms through an attic space the enclosures help with that too. The Monoprice speakers solve both issues at an outstanding price point (less that $50 per setup) with no custom built ceiling enclosures needed.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Last edited by zambine; 02-28-2017 at 09:31 AM.
zambine is offline  
post #2263 of 2544 Old 02-28-2017, 12:08 PM
Member
 
tibimakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Actually, somebody said in the Amazon review, that these speakers are the same as some Monoprice speakers. They are only 5-1/4" speakers, so they are not to big, but bigger, then the RSL speakers.
What I like about these(looking at the pictures), that the woofers with tweeters, can be tilted all together in the desired angle.
tibimakai is offline  
post #2264 of 2544 Old 02-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
ma1746's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middleboro, Massachusetts
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Question for you guys. I have been using pioneer Andrew Jones upfiring atmos speakers for a couple years. I'm installing micca m-8c in the ceiling tomorrow to run 5.1.2 atmos. I always ran the atmos modules like 7db hot so I could really hear the effects, are you guys doing the same with in ceiling speakers?

Last edited by ma1746; 02-28-2017 at 05:08 PM.
ma1746 is online now  
post #2265 of 2544 Old 02-28-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern NJ & Myrtle Beach area, SC
Posts: 1,804
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos?

Depends; install them, play a few movies and/or music and adjust. Also use test test tones; I have mine +6-7db also I think
ma1746 likes this.

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parsound P5 Preamp & A21 amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polks LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
yanks1 is offline  
post #2266 of 2544 Old 02-28-2017, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Superman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Now I'm looking at those monoprice speakers !
Superman2 is offline  
post #2267 of 2544 Old 02-28-2017, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 16
To preserve my room isolation, I'll need to build a double drywall box above each Atmos in ceiling speaker. As a result, I have two related questions:

1. If I use a speaker that is open in the back, how big does the box need to be to create a sufficient baffle for a typical in ceiling speaker?

2. Are there good sealed in ceiling options that aren’t outrageously expensive?
GatorBlues is online now  
post #2268 of 2544 Old 03-01-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
1. If I use a speaker that is open in the back, how big does the box need to be to create a sufficient baffle for a typical in ceiling speaker?
You should check with the speaker manufacturer to see if they have specs. or recommendations on this. EX, in my case DefTech makes a backbox (mostly for fire code) that measures 1.17cu.ft., though I haven't gone that route, that's where I'd start if I ever do experiment.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is online now  
post #2269 of 2544 Old 03-01-2017, 08:35 AM
Member
 
tibimakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yes, you are right, Monoprice has this version as well:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13687
tibimakai is offline  
post #2270 of 2544 Old 03-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Member
 
tibimakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
I was struggling between those two as well. I ended up getting the MC60, based on Polk's advice. MC's have adjustable tweeter.
Did you installed them already?
Can you please comment on, how they work for Atmos?
I'm considering the MC80. Two days ago, they were on sale at Frys, with promo code. $54/each!! I may pick up a pair next time, when they are on sale again.
tibimakai is offline  
post #2271 of 2544 Old 03-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 201
They work excellent in my setup. I was initially bent on getting the MC80's, as I thought bigger drivers would have larger frequency range and move more air and hence better. But based on my speaker configuration, Polk advisors suggested I get the 60's over 80's as the smaller mid range driver would reproduce mid frequencies better, according to them. human voice and the like.

I say, before taking the plunge, it doesn't hurt to talk to the speaker manuf. advisors. Based on your room and in plane speaker make and characteristics recommendations will vary. For example, when I told them my goal of dual dedicted subs for low frequencies, and one receiver instead of more powerful multiple amplifiers that could power full ranges better, two separate Polk advisers narrowed down the suggested speakers for me. Then it became just a hunt for a deal basically. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Hellohowareyou; 03-01-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Hellohowareyou is online now  
post #2272 of 2544 Old 03-01-2017, 05:57 PM
Member
 
tibimakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks for that.
Focal recommended 6.5" as well, since my ceiling is not to high(8'). They would have recommended the 8", if my ceiling would have beign higher. They did not mention, the frequency differences though.
I guess, the 8s are more powerfull.
tibimakai is offline  
post #2273 of 2544 Old 03-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Member
 
dsowens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
To preserve my room isolation, I'll need to build a double drywall box above each Atmos in ceiling speaker. As a result, I have two related questions:

1. If I use a speaker that is open in the back, how big does the box need to be to create a sufficient baffle for a typical in ceiling speaker?

2. Are there good sealed in ceiling options that aren’t outrageously expensive?
I built my own boxes. Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos?

If you do, be sure to glue the 1/2 x 1/4 weather stripping to the wood. Whats on the stripping is not sufficient to stay stuck. I placed DO NOT STEP HERE signs over them above the insulation I covered them with.
dsowens is offline  
post #2274 of 2544 Old 03-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi everyone. Have some questions.
(1) Are dual tweeter ceiling speakers better than single for atmos e.g the Atlantic Technology IC-6OBA-S.
(2) I use Q acoustics 5.1 speakers. Am I better of going with the an in-ceiling speaker from this same brand e.g the "QI65C-ST" ceiling speakers.
(3) If yes to my second question, non of the Q acoustics ceiling speakers come with back cans or back box enclosures. Is a back can necessary for better performance of ceiling speakers. Thanks for your anticipated responses
chuckdy is offline  
post #2275 of 2544 Old 03-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdy View Post
Hi everyone. Have some questions.
(1) Are dual tweeter ceiling speakers better than single for atmos e.g the Atlantic Technology IC-6OBA-S.
(2) I use Q acoustics 5.1 speakers. Am I better of going with the an in-ceiling speaker from this same brand e.g the "QI65C-ST" ceiling speakers.
(3) If yes to my second question, non of the Q acoustics ceiling speakers come with back cans or back box enclosures. Is a back can necessary for better performance of ceiling speakers. Thanks for your anticipated responses
I will leave the tweeter question for others to answer, as I myself haven't tested them, but as the tweeter ranges are very directional, a dual tweeter will help the sound to reach two different locations. Quite helpful if you have multiple rows of seating, but I can't see them as helpful when you have four speaker layout (x.x 4) instead of two (x.x.2). Are they individually aimable? If not, I would not.

If the speakers are timbre matched then yes. Verify with Q acoustics tech advisors. It seems the speaker you mention is the in-ceiling "stereo" speakers. No, you must not get the individual stereo speaker, as those are meant for a speaker that performs the duties of a dual speaker. Instead, you should buy two of the mono speakers, such as the QI65C.

I was initially concerned with back enclosures when I got mine, but my tech advisors suggested against it. Back cans are not necessary, and sometimes will make your life more complicated because of unwanted side effects, say resonance flutter, speaker contact buzzing etc. Dynamat for example touts reduced sound migration to other rooms as one of its prime selling feature for the enclosure, so if its not important, I say don't do it. Let Q acoustics advisors chime into it.

Hope this helps.
chuckdy likes this.
Hellohowareyou is online now  
post #2276 of 2544 Old 03-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thanks for the advice. Helped a lot
chuckdy is offline  
post #2277 of 2544 Old 03-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Wall, NJ
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1746 View Post
Question for you guys. I have been using pioneer Andrew Jones upfiring atmos speakers for a couple years. I'm installing micca m-8c in the ceiling tomorrow to run 5.1.2 atmos. I always ran the atmos modules like 7db hot so I could really hear the effects, are you guys doing the same with in ceiling speakers?
I just got my four M-8C's installed and I am very pleased with them. My Pre-pro has them at +9.5 for calibration and +10 is the max so I'm afraid to run them any hotter because I don't want to blow them. My amp is pushing 200w RMS and Micca's say 100w for power handling.

That said effects sound great no issues here. Wish my ceiling was about another foot higher though. 7'3". I will be building some boxes for them. They are installed in the drop ceiling in the basement and you can clearly hear the entire movie upstairs no good for late night viewing.
David Varner is offline  
post #2278 of 2544 Old 03-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Varner View Post
...I will be building some boxes for them. They are installed in the drop ceiling in the basement and you can clearly hear the entire movie upstairs no good for late night viewing.
Perhaps you didn't want to seek an opinion here, but I will hazard one anyway. I suspect you will not get enough benefit out of the effort to build the boxes for them. If you're hearing an entire movie upstairs, and not just some atmos effects, your sound insulation will have to extend beyond the atmos speakers. I myself do not have drop ceiling, and I used Roxul Safe'n'Sound for my ceiling. Did not put any separate boxes for atmos speakers. Needless to say, I am thoroughly satisfied the amount of sound that gets blocked between the floors. And I did a rough test to find their effectiveness during the build. Mind you, I did not say complete block, as that just means a whole range of expensive work.
Hellohowareyou is online now  
post #2279 of 2544 Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Wall, NJ
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
Perhaps you didn't want to seek an opinion here, but I will hazard one anyway. I suspect you will not get enough benefit out of the effort to build the boxes for them. If you're hearing an entire movie upstairs, and not just some atmos effects, your sound insulation will have to extend beyond the atmos speakers. I myself do not have drop ceiling, and I used Roxul Safe'n'Sound for my ceiling. Did not put any separate boxes for atmos speakers. Needless to say, I am thoroughly satisfied the amount of sound that gets blocked between the floors. And I did a rough test to find their effectiveness during the build. Mind you, I did not say complete block, as that just means a whole range of expensive work.
I really don't want to build 4 boxes for a $40 speakers. I have them crossed over at 80hz so i'm not too worried about LF response. Without the atmos speakers I can listen at pretty high level and not bother anyone upstairs. Even at moderate level it is pretty bad with atmos speaker running. Basically the drop cieling is just a big 2x30x30' chamber under a hardwood floor with out the atmos speakers running the drop cieling does a good job of keeping the sound in below it.

I have a roll of r-15 pink insulation I am going to put some layers over the speakers but I have a felling that will not help much without a box.

Last edited by David Varner; 03-08-2017 at 12:31 PM.
David Varner is offline  
post #2280 of 2544 Old 03-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Off topic question: It seems that many of you like the RSL C34Es for Atmos in a theater because of their wide dispersion. For the same reason (dispersion), would they be a good choice for in ceiling speakers spread around various rooms in the main level of my house for background music?

Also, the RSL C34E specs say they are good down to 70 Hz, but I never know when manufacturers are stretching a little on how low their speakers actually go. Has anyone crossed these over at 80 Hz with good results?
GatorBlues is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
atmos , ceiling speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off