Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 72 Old 08-18-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Best in ceiling speakers for Atmos?

Getting ready to wire up the theater for the Atmos before I drywall and had a couple questions. I'm waiting for the Marantz AV7702 to debut so I have a month or so before I hook everything up. The theater will be 7.2.2 consisting of SVS Ultra Center, SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers all the way around and dual SVS PB12 Plus subs. All the speakers including the in-ceiling speakers will be powered by 2 Emotiva XPA-5 amps. So I need in ceiling speakers that can handle 200 watts @ 8 ohms comfortably. The room is measurements are about 10x18x7.5 Budget is no more than $300 each

Question 1. Once drywall is hung, is there a special method to install them such as a cabinet or do I just cut a hole and mount them?

Question 2. Im STRONGLY considering 2 Definitive Technology DI 6.5R speakers. Anybody have experience hearing these puppies or have other recommendations?

Last edited by mpjmeyer; 08-18-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I'd probably get these, seems a bit pointless getting dedicated power than just budget ceiling speakers.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rcs-ii

oh it's better to fit the baffle rather than just placing it in the hole/void.

On second thoughts perhaps not the best

Quote:
The RCS III features a D'Appolito driver array angled down and aimed at the listening area (two 4-1/2 inch cast-basket bass/midrange drivers and a 1" pure aluminum tweeter) as well as two 5-1/4 x 4-1/8 inch pressure-coupled planar low bass radiators. Proprietary Wave Launch (patent pending) baffle geometry and acoustic treatment materials serve to create the illusion that the speakers are directly in front of the listener rather than up in the ceiling. The precisely configured dual angled baffles incorporate a uniquely effective acoustic treatment which combines a computer-optimized ribbed surface with special dampening panels in order to achieve a linear uncolored sound combined with boxless three-dimensional imaging in which acoustic events seem to effortlessly float in space. In fact, the overall sonic performance of the RCS II is truly remarkable, combining breath-taking dynamics, engrossing musical subtlety and amazingly spacious imaging that totally belies its in-ceiling configuration.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Last edited by fatbottom; 08-18-2014 at 12:46 PM.
post #3 of 72 Old 08-18-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
I'd probably get these, seems a bit pointless getting dedicated power than just budget ceiling speakers.

oh it's better to fit the baffle rather than just placing it in the hole/void.

Those Def Tech's would be the last speakers you need for ceiling Atmos Speakers.

Coaxial speakers with conical 90 degree dispersion are best, Tannoy's concentric drivers have been around for some time and would be much better suited.

Look at Tannoypro for Di6 DC speakers or wait until after CEDIA since many manufacturers will be announcing new products specifically designed for Atmos..........expect a lot of coaxial implementations.
post #4 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Actually Tannoy's CVS or CMS line would better suit the OP's needs since they are true "in ceiling" speakers.

If you are looking at Def Tech, then DI 8R or 6R would probably work. Not sure if they are 90 degree dispersion or not but they are coaxial and in ceiling.
post #5 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

So those aren't suitable speakers? What is requirement of atmos ceiling speakers?

What would match Kef Reference 2.2?

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/...ries_2000s.pdf

I think CI 1500 and CI 2000 use same driver, but they're in wall speakers not ceiling

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #6 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

I just purchased the DI 8R's. Hopefully they deliver what I'm looking for. Anybody ever heard these?
post #7 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'm on the fence re pre wiring my theater for Atmos. If I do, the Tannoys look like a good choice. I read it's important to Try to timber match them with the rest of my speakers, but that would be nearly impossible. Mine are Ariel acoustics a small company that doesn't make any type of ceiling speaker
post #8 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

Right, the RCS are not the right speakers for Atmos - they angled for highly directional sound so that you can put them in-ceiling across the room and they sound like they are across the front.

The speakers for Atmos are still being designed and developed, but you can take some cues from the Dolby web site that is already recommending two different types - direct radiators overhead or "Atmos enabled" speakers which have an additional set of drivers pointed at the ceiling for reflected sound.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...lby-atmos.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Av2y2Me...lby-atmos.aspx

One thing I do know, the only in-wall speakers I would recommend (especially driven with that kind of power) would be those with a built-in enclosure or an optional back box - otherwise the bass just rattles the ceiling and you can hear it upstairs or in adjacent rooms that share the attic. Look at Definitive Technology, Triad, and Totem

I've been reading about Atmos and Atmos speakers - I don't know what I'm going to choose yet, but the Definitive Technology UIW-RSSII (Reference Surround Speaker) is currently my first choice. This is a direct radiator with a (semi) bipolar design to spread the sound over a wider area to be less easily localized. Since most home theaters don't have 20ft+ ceilings like theaters which spread the sound over distance, we are going to have to choose speaker technologies that spread the sound for a normal ceiling height.

Definitive Tech UIW-RSSII

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #9 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I have bipoles already, so I know how they function. I'm wondering if stereo bipole speakers are worth it, perhaps a mono overhead speaker makes more sense?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #10 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Most Atmos information that I've read indicates that there should be either two or four overhead "speakers" (direct or indirect). The surround decoders will be able to down mix to fewer speakers (than the theaters use) but I don't know if they will allow only one overhead speaker - that will be up to the surround decoder software developers to decide.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #11 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjmeyer View Post
Getting ready to wire up the theater for the Atmos before I drywall and had a couple questions. I'm waiting for the Marantz AV7702 to debut so I have a month or so before I hook everything up.

Question 1. Once drywall is hung, is there a special method to install them such as a cabinet or do I just cut a hole and mount them?

Question 2. Im STRONGLY considering 2 Definitive Technology DI 6.5R speakers. Anybody have experience hearing these puppies or have other recommendations?
I have experience with standard (non-enclosed) speakers in the ceiling of my home theater being driven by a 150W per channel amplifier. Even when the bass management was removing bass below 100Hz, there was still enough low bass energy to vibrate the ceiling and the sound could be heard in adjacent rooms and even outside (quite loud) through the attic vents! The vibration made the sound muddy and generally annoying. Building my own back boxes (with the very limited space available) out of 2x4's and MDF helped a lot.

I'm sure those are fine speakers, but they don't have a built in rear enclosure / back box. They will sound fine at 50dB for background music in a whole house audio system but they are NOT going to sound good in the ceiling for home theater purposes.

The best thing you could do before the sheet rock goes up is to build-in some sound proof enclosures in the proper overhead locations - then you could mount any in-wall speaker you want and it would sound MUCH better. Build the enclosures with a decent amount of volume - a couple of cubic feet if you can as most in-walls are tuned to use the entire space behind the wall as an enclosure.

post #12 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

So it seems ceiling speakers are more hassle than their worth unless you do prep work to surrounding area. hmm. Another reason why atmos will fail?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #13 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So it seems ceiling speakers are more hassle than their worth unless you do prep work to surrounding area. hmm. Another reason why atmos will fail?
If manufacturers start making in-wall / in-ceiling speakers with rear enclosures at reasonable prices people will buy them - they sound a lot better. This is a trend that has already started - even some low end speaker companies like "Pyle" are starting to build these with plastic rear enclosures (better than nothing!).

If the trend continues and reasonably priced, good sounding in-ceiling speakers are available people will use them for overheard Atmos and even standard surround speakers. It is a trend I hope to see gain popularity with speaker manufacturers.
htpcforever likes this.

post #14 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 578
I would look at what theaters already use as a guide to in-ceiling Atmos speakers. I wouldn't go with anything other than speakers with tightly controlled dispersion. For this reason I would not be looking at anything other than in-walls as ceiling speakers for Atmos. I would be looking at Klipsch type in-walls or the Hsu in-walls. You will want someone with high sensitivity since amplifier power will be scattered among that many more channels, unless you are using outboard amps.
post #15 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

So which ceiling speakers would match BP-2X bipole side/rears (if I match to surrounds) or to Kef Reference 2.2/Model 200? That come with housings, and don't cost the earth?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #16 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I can't tell from their website, does anyone know if Hsu Research HIW-1 Horn In-Wall Speakers come with housings?
post #17 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
I'm on the fence re pre wiring my theater for Atmos. If I do, the Tannoys look like a good choice. I read it's important to Try to timber match them with the rest of my speakers, but that would be nearly impossible. Mine are Ariel acoustics a small company that doesn't make any type of ceiling speaker
If you check over in the dedicated build forum for Deadwood comes alive thread, you will see OP uses Ariels for LCR's, B&W's for surrounds and Tannoy di 6 dc speakers for Atmos. Uses eq to tame any timbre issues..........

You're worrying about nothing as long as you're competent using eq.
post #18 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So which ceiling speakers would match BP-2X bipole side/rears (if I match to surrounds) or to Kef Reference 2.2/Model 200? That come with housings, and don't cost the earth?
Implementing Atmos, you do NOT want di or bi-poles!

You need 90 degree dispersion speakers......ie coaxials, concentric drivers (Tannoy coaxial) .
post #19 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I would look at what theaters already use as a guide to in-ceiling Atmos speakers. I wouldn't go with anything other than speakers with tightly controlled dispersion. For this reason I would not be looking at anything other than in-walls as ceiling speakers for Atmos. I would be looking at Klipsch type in-walls or the Hsu in-walls. You will want someone with high sensitivity since amplifier power will be scattered among that many more channels, unless you are using outboard amps.
Cinema uses arrays and have to cover long distances.......different animal.

In a home Atmos system, the last speaker you need are wave guide or horn configurations....ie Klipsh/HSU. Simple......90 degree dispersion is the goal......not to many speakers on current market comply. CEDIA 2014 might have new products that conform.
post #20 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
If you check over in the dedicated build forum for Deadwood comes alive thread, you will see OP uses Ariels for LCR's, B&W's for surrounds and Tannoy di 6 dc speakers for Atmos. Uses eq to tame any timbre issues..........

You're worrying about nothing as long as you're competent using eq.
Thanks, that is one nice theater. Mine will be much more simple. I leaning toward the Tannoy coaxial in ceiling speakers .
post #21 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
Thanks, that is one nice theater. Mine will be much more simple. I leaning toward the Tannoy coaxial in ceiling speakers .
Good choice...........I'm leaning that way unless Triad has something to announce at CEDIA.

If Tannoy's are good enough for an ex-Dolby engineer who has helped Atmos come to fruition, should be good enough for rest of us.

BTW, thanks for complement.
post #22 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Will the def tech di 8r speakers make a good candidate for atmos since they are coaxial?

Last edited by mpjmeyer; 08-19-2014 at 09:02 PM.
post #23 of 72 Old 08-19-2014, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Speaking of coaxials, perhaps you guys might want to wander over to the DIY forum and look at these coaxials: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial...-volt-kit.html

$138 and another $21 for the box, and it's not a difficult kit to put together at all. Add some more MDF around the box (better yet build another box to fit around this one) and you've got a pretty damped box.

post #24 of 72 Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I just ordered 4 of the 10" volts with the surround flat packs for my surrounds. I think these are going to be perfect for atmos as well.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #25 of 72 Old 08-20-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Would a Scanspeak 4 inch fullrange be ok to use as a ceiling speaker? It's quite flat from 120-15000 hz. Sealed box, 1 liter.

post #26 of 72 Old 08-20-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Implementing Atmos, you do NOT want di or bi-poles!

You need 90 degree dispersion speakers......ie coaxials, concentric drivers (Tannoy coaxial) .
I don't care what Dolby recommend. Diffused speakers work better in my room for side/surrounds. I did have dipole sides, bipole rears but now have bipole for side and surrounds.

Monopoles for sides and surrounds doesn't work, I don't like them.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #27 of 72 Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Can drywall support the weight of in-ceiling speakers? My plan is to plywood the theater then drywall for sound control and where the 2 ceiling speakers will be, I was going to built a little box around them in the ceiling but the way the Def Tech speakers mount is as you tighten the screws, latches swing out and lower as you turn until the speaker is secure. However it doesnt seem to have enough clearance between the latch and speaker to fit drywall and plywood. I'm thinking I may have to skip the plywood just around the ceiling speakers and mount them just to drywall. Any thoughts? The speakers are DI 8R so they each weigh 4.8 lbs
post #28 of 72 Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't care what Dolby recommend. Diffused speakers work better in my room for side/surrounds. I did have dipole sides, bipole rears but now have bipole for side and surrounds.

Monopoles for sides and surrounds doesn't work, I don't like them.
I think he meant for your height ceiling speakers, you may not want Bipole or dipole speakers.
Sides and surround Bipoles are fine, in fact, they are preferred my many, including me.

But for ceiling speakers in Atmos, a wide dispersion with at least 90 degrees is preferred. Adjustable tweeter would be a benefit too.
post #29 of 72 Old 08-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm about to start designing my basement re-build to support HT... it currently has 2 in-ceiling Speakercraft as surrounds. I currently us an Onkyo NR818 with 5.1 but want to prep for Atmos since I'll be tearing up walls/ceilings for the remodel.

Do you guys suggest I prep to 2 or 4 ceiling speakers?

I use Paradigm as my 5.1 today, and have no plans on changing that.

My room is ~ 20' long & 15' wide with mostly 9' ceilings.

thanks!

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #30 of 72 Old 08-24-2014, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I would go with 4 Atmos speakers if possible.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page