Only one channel working, will this work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-18-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Only one channel working, will this work?

When my house was built (80's), the builder put 2 speaker cables (L/R) from my wall unit to an outdoor box. All of the wiring is behind walls and inaccessible. I've finally decided to use it and found out only one wire works. Unfortunately I'd already bought a Niles outdoor speaker (has left and right in same unit) and now am wondering what to do without drawing more wire. I have this hooked up to a Marantz SR6004 as Zone speakers (8 ohms output). It has the option of sending mono so I was thinking that I could connect the working speaker wire to the receiver's right channel, connect both the L and R speaker wires on the Niles to the one working wire outside and set the output to mono. What I would expect is a fuller sound than if I only used the right (or left). I can live with mono as it is only to be used to offset the pool noise from other properties. The speaker is also rated for 8 ohms. Is there a problem with this idea?
I may attempt a better solution in the future but I want to get some use out of it this summer and fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Speakers with two set of inputs are usually dual voice coil models intended to be driven by a right and left channel signal to get a summed mono output (usually shared woofer, dual tweeter). You could post the model number for more help.

If you are hooking up the one speaker wire to both inputs of the speaker (each 8 ohms) in parallel (+ to + and - to -) then the effective impedance of the speaker load is one half - or 4 ohms. If your AVR is rated to drive a 4 ohm load or 2 sets of 8 ohm speakers (can't see manual on the web) then you should be fine. Even if not specified, you can still try it, just carefully watch the temperature of your AVR and make sure it is not getting hot, better ventilation will help if it is in a cabinet.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

I checked a couple of places that did tests on the SR6004 and I will include what they say (if it helps).
From Sound & Vision...
"This graph shows that the SR6004’s left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 111.6 watts and 1 percent distortion at 126.6 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 160.5 watts and 1 percent distortion at 187.8 watts."
From Audioholics...

Marantz SR6004 Power vs Distortion

# of CH Test Type PowerLoad THD + N
1 CFP-BW 135 watts 8 ohms 0.1%
1 CFP-BW 208 watts 4 ohms 0.1%

The Marantz SR6004 power reserves were quite impressive for a receiver of its price and size. Not only did they exceed their 110wpc rating for up to two channels driven but they also exceeded their engineering spec of 50% power under 7 channels driven by outputting 66wpc at 0.1% THD +N and 71wpc at 1% THD +N.

I don't know if this helps in any way. I'm going to contact Marantz but I've heard that's not always productive.

Last edited by TheNit; 08-20-2014 at 09:53 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNit View Post
I checked a couple of places that did tests on the SR6004
It figures that a Marantz would be stable driving 4 ohm loads - they have maintained their higher end designs - puts out almost twice the power at 4 ohms than it does at 8 ohms like a high quality amplifier.

You aren't going to have any problem driving two 8 ohm loads in parallel with that Marantz.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page