Pioneer SP-FS52 vs BIC Acoustech PL-89 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 08-18-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Pioneer SP-FS52 vs BIC Acoustech PL-89

I'm looking to setup my home office with a 2.1 system for music. I also plan to hookup my TV audio, but that will be secondary. For the speakers, I'm debating between the following:

Pioneer SP-FS52 Andrew Jones Designed Floor Standing
BIC Amercia Acoustech Platinum Series PL-89 tower speaker

For the sub, I plan on either:

BIC F12
Acoustech PL-200

Any thoughts on what would be better? I had settled on the PL-89, but have heard alot about the Pioneer speakers lately. I plan to buy these *without* auditioning them, so I'm looking for those of you who may have heard both of these speakers and can compare. I have heard the F12 and have been impressed, but that is the extent of my auditioning...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 192
What is your budget?

Pioneers SP-FS52's are great for their price. But if you can spend more there are better options

Addittionally why the focus on towers if you are planning to get a subwoofer?
jerseygrown likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
+1, With a crossover set, both bookshelves and towers are equally capable to that point. Much more value in getting bookshelves and a better sub, and your overall sound will likely be better.

I would recommend the HTD Level Three bookshelves, they have a good ribbon tweeter and are front ported so you have more placement options. With the money saved from not buying those BIC towers, add that to your sub budget and get a SVS SB-1000 sub. This is a great choice for music and much more accurate than those BIC subs. It won't have the same output as the PL-200, but in an office space it is well suited.
jerseygrown likes this.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #4 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

Is is a bad idea to buy towers and a sub? If I bought bookshelf speakers, I would buy stands as well. In my mind, I'd rather have that cost go towards the speakers. I have considered bookshelf speakers such as Acoustech FH-65Bs coupled with a sub.

Question for you on the HTD Level 3s, @Transmaniacon ... I have used HTD in ceiling speakers and have since replaced them with Energy. There was no comparison IMO. The HTD speakers were "ok", but I immediately noticed the replacements were superior. I wonder if the sound quality of the Level 3s are up to par...?

I don't have a budget per say, but I'm definitely looking for the best bang for the buck Are there subs similar to the SVS SB-1000 that would be at a lower price point? I'm not opposed to taking the plunge on a higher price sub, just curious if they are worth the added cost. I have a Pinnacle Baby Boomer I bought on Woot in use elsewhere in my home that seems decent. How would you rate that against the SVS SB-1000?

Last edited by jerseygrown; 08-19-2014 at 11:13 AM.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygrown View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Is is a bad idea to buy towers and a sub? If I bought bookshelf speakers, I would buy stands as well. In my mind, I'd rather have that cost go towards the speakers. I have considered bookshelf speakers such as Acoustech FH-65Bs coupled with a sub.

Question for you on the HTD Level 3s, @Transmaniacon ... I have used HTD in ceiling speakers and have since replaced them with Energy. There was no comparison IMO. The HTD speakers were "ok", but I immediately noticed the replacements were superior. I wonder if the sound quality of the Level 3s are up to par...?

I don't have a budget per say, but I'm definitely looking for the best bang for the buck Are there subs similar to the SVS SB-1000 that would be at a lower price point? I'm not opposed to taking the plunge on a higher price sub, just curious if they are worth the added cost. I have a Pinnacle Baby Boomer I bought on Woot in use elsewhere in my home that seems decent. How would you rate that against the SVS SB-1000?
I think the stands come into the equation in the very entry level speakers, but when you are talking about several hundred more between towers and bookshelves from the same line, stands don't offset that cost. You can buy a nice pair of Sanus stands for <$70 on Amazon, and can even DIY your own for less.

I am not sure about HTD in-ceiling speakers, but their Level Three lineup sounds great and offers great bang for the buck. If Energy is something you like, consider the CB-20.

The thing about that SVS sub, is it offers exceptional bang for the buck. $500 is where you start to get into good bass, and I think it is definitely worth spending a little more to get a better sub. If you want the version that has higher output and extension, look at the PB-1000. Either of those subs will be substantially better than the Pinnacle, and a nice improvement over the PL-200.

The best sub-$300 sub is the NXG BAS 500 in my opinion, it outperforms the PL-200.

post #6 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
I have used HTD in ceiling speakers and have since replaced them with Energy. There was no comparison IMO. The HTD speakers were "ok", but I immediately noticed the replacements were superior. I wonder if the sound quality of the Level 3s are up to par...?

I don't have a budget per say, but I'm definitely looking for the best bang for the buck
Bookshelf speakers are in a much different league, compared to in-ceiling speakers.
The Level Three bookshelf is a good speaker and in a different class.

With this Boston speaker you do not need stands - and will crossover nicely to a subwoofer.
Boston RS334 - sold each
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ack-new/1.html

This is the Bookshelf - I will take it over the Level Three bookshelf
Boston RS260 - sold each
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...h-black/1.html

Another nice option > Boston M250 - sold each

This is the bookshelf - the M25 and sold each
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ck-each/1.html
jerseygrown likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-19-2014 at 11:36 AM.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
The thing about that SVS sub, is it offers exceptional bang for the buck. $500 is where you start to get into good bass, and I think it is definitely worth spending a little more to get a better sub. If you want the version that has higher output and extension, look at the PB-1000. Either of those subs will be substantially better than the Pinnacle, and a nice improvement over the PL-200.

The best sub-$300 sub is the NXG BAS 500 in my opinion, it outperforms the PL-200.
This will be my first truly good 2.1 system not using in-ceiling speakers and I want to make the right choices. I'm willing to spend the $500 on a sub if it will push the envelope a bit.

Any opinions on HSU subs?
post #8 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This will be my first truly good 2.1 system not using in-ceiling speakers and I want to make the right choices. I'm willing to spend the $500 on a sub if it will push the envelope a bit.

Any opinions on HSU subs?
I think moving up from the ~$300 tier to the $500 tier provides a big upgrade in sound quality. HSU is a great sub company, Dr. Hsu helped design the BIC subs and they have been a huge hit in the budget market. A good sub will really enhance the overall system quality, and with subs there is a good correlation between price and performance (in the ID market).

post #9 of 27 Old 08-19-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Take a look at the NHT Super One. $150 each. Would match very well with a good sub.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #10 of 27 Old 08-20-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

With this Boston speaker you do not need stands - and will crossover nicely to a subwoofer.
Boston RS334 - sold each
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ack-new/1.html

This is the Bookshelf - I will take it over the Level Three bookshelf
Boston RS260 - sold each
These are quite tempting! The reviews on the RS334 are extremely positive and these are marked down quite a bit.

Another set on my radar is Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 45s. Any opinions on these in comparison to the other bookshelf speakers discussed here?
post #11 of 27 Old 08-20-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
These are quite tempting! The reviews on the RS334 are extremely positive and these are marked down quite a bit.

Another set on my radar is Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 45s. Any opinions on these in comparison to the other bookshelf speakers discussed here?
I have demoed the bigger Definitive SM-55 and they are nice for the price - I will take the
new Definitive SM speakers over HTD, Pioneer, Bic and NHT Super series.

However one thing about the RS334 is that you will not need speaker stands, and they do
not take up a lot of space - their current price makes them a strong option.

Your option/choice and call

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-20-2014 at 10:08 AM.
post #12 of 27 Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think moving up from the ~$300 tier to the $500 tier provides a big upgrade in sound quality. HSU is a great sub company, Dr. Hsu helped design the BIC subs and they have been a huge hit in the budget market. A good sub will really enhance the overall system quality, and with subs there is a good correlation between price and performance (in the ID market).
I'm leaning towards the PB-1000 based on reviews I've read and your comments. I have come across the Premier Acoustic PA-150 in my reading and see it can be easily found for the same price. Any comments on that sub?
post #13 of 27 Old 08-20-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
What is your budget?

Pioneers SP-FS52's are great for their price. But if you can spend more there are better options

I think if he could catch the 52's at their recent sale prices could be a reason to at least consider it..
jerseygrown likes this.
post #14 of 27 Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm leaning towards the PB-1000 based on reviews I've read and your comments. I have come across the Premier Acoustic PA-150 in my reading and see it can be easily found for the same price. Any comments on that sub?
The PA-150 is more of a niche sub, it offers incredible output in the 40Hz+ range, but doesn't dig as deep as the PB-1000. For a large space where you don't need that sub-sonic bass I think it is a good choice, you get a lot of performance for your money. I would still probably go with the PB-1000 though, you get better sound quality and the necessary extension to make movies shine.

post #15 of 27 Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have demoed the bigger Definitive SM-55 and they are nice for the price - I will take the
new Definitive SM speakers over HTD, Pioneer, Bic and NHT Super series.

However one thing about the RS334 is that you will not need speaker stands, and they do
not take up a lot of space - their current price makes them a strong option.

Getting closer to pulling the trigger on these. I noticed that newegg has the older models of the StudioMonitors at very nice prices. These are tempting as well. Have you heard these in comparison to the newer models?
post #16 of 27 Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Getting closer to pulling the trigger on these. I noticed that newegg has the older models of the StudioMonitors at very nice prices. These are tempting as well. Have you heard these in comparison to the newer models?
Yes I owned the 350 and the older Definitives are good - however, the newer ones are more smooth
and refined with better bass.

My preference for bookshelf choice would still be the Boston RS260, followed by the new Definitive,
then the older Definitive.

However based on price for bookshelf, the Boston RS260 and Definitive SM450 are the better deals.

post #17 of 27 Old 08-22-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes I owned the 350 and the older Definitives are good - however, the newer ones are more smooth
and refined with better bass.

My preference for bookshelf choice would still be the Boston RS260, followed by the new Definitive,
then the older Definitive.

However based on price for bookshelf, the Boston RS260 and Definitive SM450 are the better deals.

Thanks again for the advice! Looking again at the rs334 total cost to my door, I see that a pair of refurbished M340s would only cost me $80 more. Would these be overkill with a sub for the the room? I do like the idea of floor standing for the overall look, and these sell for $999 each elsewhere...

It's funny how my overall price point keeps slowly rising
post #18 of 27 Old 08-22-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks again for the advice! Looking again at the rs334 total cost to my door, I see that a pair of refurbished M340s would only cost me $80 more. Would these be overkill with a sub for the the room? I do like the idea of floor standing for the overall look, and these sell for $999 each elsewhere...

It's funny how my overall price point keeps slowly rising
With the good discount on the towers it will not be over-kill, due to the fact you
are saving cost on the speaker stands.

One thing to note - the RS334 will be easier to drive and will put less stress on
your receiver - the M340 impedance will have a lower swing.

Now as far as your budget creeping up - it is good to get the best you can at this
time, due to some good speaker prices.

Your call

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-25-2014 at 09:52 AM.
post #19 of 27 Old 08-22-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
One thing to note - the RS334 will be easier to drive and will put less stress on
your receiver - the M340 impedance will have a lower swing.
Good point. I plan to drive them with an Emotiva UPA-200 which should have no trouble either way.
post #20 of 27 Old 08-25-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I would probably get the towers, that upgrade will be about the same, if not less, than a pair of speaker stands.

post #21 of 27 Old 08-31-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah I would probably get the towers, that upgrade will be about the same, if not less, than a pair of speaker stands.
The M340s are on the way!

I'm now looking at making my sub purchase this weekend. I see the SB12-NSD piano gloss in the outlet for $499. This seems like a great price. I have bounced around between the SB-1000, SB-2000, and PB-1000. I have also considered the PSA XS15se and Outlaw LFM-1 EX.

I'm wondering if the outlet deal is too good to pass up? Remember I am looking at a 2.1 system for a small home office. Cubic ft is probably about 1200.

Thanks again
post #22 of 27 Old 08-31-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm wondering if the outlet deal is too good to pass up? Remember I am looking at a 2.1 system for a small home office. Cubic ft is probably about 1200.
Not really a big room, however a good sub deal is a good deal.
jerseygrown likes this.

post #23 of 27 Old 08-31-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The M340s are on the way!

I'm now looking at making my sub purchase this weekend. I see the SB12-NSD piano gloss in the outlet for $499. This seems like a great price. I have bounced around between the SB-1000, SB-2000, and PB-1000. I have also considered the PSA XS15se and Outlaw LFM-1 EX.

Thanks again
I think that SB12-NSD would be a good option since you are in a smaller room.

post #24 of 27 Old 08-31-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think that SB12-NSD would be a good option since you are in a smaller room.
Ordered! I ended up getting a charcoal finish. The piano gloss subs without much damage disappeared already. Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks this price is good.
post #25 of 27 Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not really a big room, however a good sub deal is a good deal.
Very true. I'm sure the volume won't be up loud, but I want quality sound for the money. At least SVS has the 45 day trial... If I don't like it, I keep looking.
post #26 of 27 Old 09-11-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Everything is hooked up and it sounds amazing. I'm hearing things in my music I haven't noticed before. It's like hearing for the first time. Unreal. Here's what I have:

Boston M340s
SVS SB12-NSD
Emotiva UPA-200
AudioEngine D1 DAC

Flac/Alac/APE -> JRiver ->AudioEngine D1 ->

(MediaBridge RCA Y-Spliter) -> SB12-NSD
(MediaBridge RCA Y-Spliter) -> UPA-200 -> M340s

I plan to use a SPL meter to tune the sub level at some point, but I tuned it by ear thus far.

Thanks for the help @zieglj01 & @Transmaniacon ! I'm quite happy with my purchases! I saved a ton buying refurbs and late models.
Transmaniacon likes this.

Last edited by jerseygrown; 09-11-2014 at 12:40 PM.
post #27 of 27 Old 09-11-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Everything is hooked up and it sounds amazing. I'm hearing things in my music I haven't noticed before. It's like hearing for the first time. Unreal. Here's what I have:

Boston M340s
SVS SB12-NSD

Thanks for the help @zieglj01 & @Transmaniacon ! I'm quite happy with my purchases! I saved a ton buying refurbs and late models.
You did good - continue to enjoy the adventure!

Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread - SP-FS52 by PriceGrabber.com