Setup:
Onkyo TX-NR717
2 x Polk Monitor 75T's
1 x Polk Monitor 25c

Budget:
Surround: ~$400
Sub: ~$300

Request:
I am looking for a suggestion on a matching surround set. I am wanting a 5.1 right now so something that will match with the above speakers. My thoughts on possibilities are:

RTI A1/A3
Monitor 45B
FXI A4

I could swear I read somewhere that the FXI A4 was the one that matched but now that I am going to purchase I cannot find it so I am second guessing myself. Recommend a matching surround for me?

Also, I was thinking of the Polk PSW505 for the sub. Any reason I shouldn't get that one that you are aware of? Something better for the price point or newer maybe?

I appreciate any help and feedback you all are willing and able to provide, thank you!

~John P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-20-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 452
The 45B is technically the matching bookshelf, but it's a big large for a surround. The 35B would be a better choice in my opinion. You need to adjust your budget for speakers, spend $200 on the surrounds, and $500 on the sub. The sub is one of the most important parts of your HT and you can't skimp here, I would skip Polk when it comes to subs. Your subs don't need to match, and neither do your surrounds.

Pick up those 35B which you should be able to get for under $150, and then spend the rest on a SVS PB-1000. This is a very good sub, much better than that Polk, and will get you good accurate bass and sub-20Hz extension.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3 of 4 Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Appreciate it Transmaniacon.

Only piece I'd like to add in the event it changes the advice, the theatre is 100% for movie use.

I have $800 in the form of a store credit at Amazon that I don't expect to need anything else for. Could grab the SVS PB no problem, essentially if I don't spend the $800 it will go to waste anyway.

Question is, any reason not to spend the extra on say the FXI A4's or something more just because I can or would the sound be too much for the front stage I have?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-21-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 452
You could get the them if you want, but I think these days the bipole/dipoles are getting phased out. Maybe look at the RTiA1 instead.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page