which one to pick - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
supaflyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
which one to pick

Hello guys,

I'm shopping for some new speakers to serve as my rear surround speakers. Budget around $400 to $600. There is someone near me that is selling the kef Q300 in that price range. I also saw on amazon that klipsch rb 61 is around that price range. Which one is better to get?
supaflyz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,010
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 603
If you are in a medium to small room, I would go with the KEF. If you are in a large room, the Klipsch might handle that better, or if you like loud volumes.
shadyJ is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,528
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 437
I would take KEF over the Klipsch, you can get open box versions for $480 from A4L: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...html?brand=KEF

I would probably go with the Q100 instead though, the smaller Uni-Q driver sounds better than the bigger version in the Q300 from what I have read, and I don't think you need such a big surround speaker anyway.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
supaflyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You think so Transmaniacon. I was thinking about what you mention last night. However, I think the q100 is only $100 or so cheaper. I will take your advice though since you have much more experience than me. I just saw they have an kef xq10 on there as well for $600. Is that one any good. It cost much more than the q300 at retail price.
supaflyz is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,155
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyz View Post
I just saw they have an kef xq10 on there as well for $600. Is that one any good. It cost much more than the q300 at retail price.
I would prefer to skip the XQ10 - because it would lean towards brightness - not one of
their better measuring speakers.

XQ10 is the top line


__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-21-2014 at 02:24 PM.
zieglj01 is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 319
zieglj01 so what do you recommend Boston acoustic again? Lol

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.
losservatore is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,155
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
zieglj01 so what do you recommend Boston acoustic again? Lol
Are you still drinking cranberry apple juice. I would go with the Q100 or Q300.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #8 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Are you still drinking cranberry apple juice. I would go with the Q100 or Q300.


nah that's correct the XQ10 are on the brighter side.Boston acoustic are very good speakers .






He should consider the Boston speakers now that they are on a great sale.


http://www.accessories4less.com/make...l?brand=Boston Acoustics

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-21-2014 at 03:10 PM.
losservatore is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyz View Post
Hello guys,

I'm shopping for some new speakers to serve as my rear surround speakers. Budget around $400 to $600. There is someone near me that is selling the kef Q300 in that price range. I also saw on amazon that klipsch rb 61 is around that price range. Which one is better to get?
I'd go for the NHT Super One or Super Zero depending on distance to the LP.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 08-22-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
supaflyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok so rule out the q300. That guy hasn't responded. Found another guy that is selling the klipsch rb-61 ii in good condition pair for $275. Is that good guys? Any of you guys have the speakers would recommend it? I have the boston acoustic micro 120x as my rear speakers right now. Will it be a good improvement over it?
supaflyz is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,155
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyz View Post
Ok so rule out the q300. That guy hasn't responded. Found another guy that is selling the klipsch rb-61 ii in good condition pair for $275. Is that good guys? Any of you guys have the speakers would recommend it? I have the boston acoustic micro 120x as my rear speakers right now. Will it be a good improvement over it?
Then I would go with the NHT SuperOne 2.1 speakers suggested in post #9
They are sold each - if you decide to buy, they have a 15% off sale
http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-spe...&category=3772

http://www.nhthifi.com/

I am not real big on Klipsch - however, your call

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #12 of 13 Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
supaflyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Then I would go with the NHT SuperOne 2.1 speakers suggested in post #9
They are sold each - if you decide to buy, they have a 15% off sale
http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-spe...&category=3772

http://www.nhthifi.com/

I am not real big on Klipsch - however, your call
Because I can get this tomorrow and the other one I have to order and wait and shipping and handling. I never heard of NHT speakers before.
supaflyz is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,155
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyz View Post
Because I can get this tomorrow and the other one I have to order and wait and shipping and handling. I never heard of NHT speakers before.
Klipsch is not bad, they are not my preference

You may like them - check their sound out

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off