Polk Audio LSi25 - $1000 for pair, take it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Polk Audio LSi25 - $1000 for pair, take it?

Hello Everyone,

I'm just getting into the home theater game and have come across a pair of LSi25 tower speakers for $1000. I'm not going to be able to afford to get an entire 5.1 or 7.1 system at once if I were to spend the $1,000 on these but if I'm not mistaken the pair brand new would be easily $2000-$3,000.

My understanding is Mains/Sub/Centre/Surrounds in order of importance. So if I get these 2 as my mains, a good sub...might be able to splurge on a centre too I will likely be in decent shape I think, right? Would someone have a recommendation for a Centre channel?

I just bought the Sony STRDN1050 receiver for $250 off.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 461
You can get them brand new from Polk with a warranty for $1300 shipped in either black or cherry. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-L...item35d2604a0e

You need to get the matching center to these, but it is harder to find as Polk does not have any left. You could probably do well with the newer LSiM series center, or keep an eye out in the classifieds/ebay/audiogon for the LSiC.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
You can get them brand new from Polk with a warranty for $1300 shipped in either black or cherry. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-L...item35d2604a0e

You need to get the matching center to these, but it is harder to find as Polk does not have any left. You could probably do well with the newer LSiM series center, or keep an eye out in the classifieds/ebay/audiogon for the LSiC.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention I'm in Canada so that $1000 is likely $900 and I also can't order from their ebay page as they won't ship here womp womp. Thank you for the info on the Centre channel as well.

Last edited by TrevorEnglish; 08-21-2014 at 10:50 AM.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorEnglish View Post
I'm sorry I forgot to mention I'm in Canada so that $1000 is likely $900 and I also can't order from their ebay page as they won't ship here womp womp. Thank you for the info on the Centre channel as well.
Ah that is unfortunate, assuming they are in good condition that is probably a fair price, maybe offer $100 less. Just note they are 4ohm speakers and do need a capable amp to work their best.

post #5 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ah that is unfortunate, assuming they are in good condition that is probably a fair price, maybe offer $100 less. Just note they are 4ohm speakers and do need a capable amp to work their best.
Thank you again, I totally forgot about the impedance - my amp specs state the following: 4 Ohm/8 Ohm Switching: Yes (6 ohm).

All the specs regarding power output is in reference to it running at 6 ohm. I'm assuming that due to the higher current requirement of these speakers, I would just have to watch it at higher volume out put unless the above 4/8ohm switching means I can run the amp at 4 ohms?

Really appreciate the help. Thanks.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you again, I totally forgot about the impedance - my amp specs state the following: 4 Ohm/8 Ohm Switching: Yes (6 ohm).

All the specs regarding power output is in reference to it running at 6 ohm. I'm assuming that due to the higher current requirement of these speakers, I would just have to watch it at higher volume out put unless the above 4/8ohm switching means I can run the amp at 4 ohms?

Really appreciate the help. Thanks.
What is your amp? Generally there isn't an issue with powering low impedance speakers as long as you don't push things too hard.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What is your amp? Generally there isn't an issue with powering low impedance speakers as long as you don't push things too hard.
Sony STRDN1050
post #8 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sony STRDN1050
That should power them fine, I just wouldn't recommend cranking it way up. I would wager your ears will give up before the amp does.

post #9 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That should power them fine, I just wouldn't recommend cranking it way up. I would wager your ears will give up before the amp does.
Good enough for me! Thanks. I've actually started looking at the DIYSoundGroup Fusion-12's. Pretty interesting stuff but I really appreciate all the info Transmaniacon.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good enough for me! Thanks. I've actually started looking at the DIYSoundGroup Fusion-12's. Pretty interesting stuff but I really appreciate all the info Transmaniacon.
DIY puts you in another league in terms of performance. Those SEOS kits get you JTR performance at a fraction of the cost. I would definitely recommend looking into them, you can buy the flat packs for the cabinets, and assembled crossovers, meaning all you need to do is glue/screw everything together.

Additionally, with their high sensitivity, any old AVR can get you to ear bleeding levels, meaning you have the ability to hit reference levels with the required headroom pretty easily.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I've heard both the tempests and LSIM707 and the tempests are definitely much better.
Reply Speakers