Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Upgraded from Polk CS1 II to CSi A4 center

...and I'm not necessary blown away by it. From everything I read, I was anticipating a real noticeable difference from one to the other. Now, I do have a mix of equipment in my setup and plan to upgrade the fronts to some nicer Polks eventually, but I guess I was hoping for more. Currently, in a 24' x 17' room, I have an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver, pair of JBL Loft 50 (front), a pair of Polk FXi A4 (surround) and a JBL sub (not sure of the model, but I would say it's probably mid range).

I've run the auto-setup in Onkyo even tweaked the center to be a little louder, but I still seem to have trouble hearing dialogue...the audio tracks are either DD 5.1 or DTS. Any suggestions?

Sturmie

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 459
How is it placed in your room? How are the rest of your speakers placed?

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
How is it placed in your room? How are the rest of your speakers placed?
The center is in a credenza, just below the TV...the front are on the side of the TV and the rears are at the back of the room. Unfortunately, the sub is back behind one the fronts...not ideal, I know.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Make sure the front of the center is flush with the front of the TV stand, otherwise you will get unwanted reflections. Ideally the center should be closer to ear level, maybe you can try aiming it upward.

How much did you boost the center level by?

post #5 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Make sure the front of the center is flush with the front of the TV stand, otherwise you will get unwanted reflections. Ideally the center should be closer to ear level, maybe you can try aiming it upward.

How much did you boost the center level by?
Thanks for the reply...it's a tight fit, but it is flush with the front...aiming it upwards might be a challenge.

I think the center is maybe at a +4 right now with the fronts being at 0 and the rears maybe at -1...I'd have to look when I get home, but that's what I seem to remember.

Do centers typically needed to boosted pretty high? Just curious...the auto-setup had it at a 0 or +1, if I remember correctly. The FXi rears are really nice (and loud), but should I turn those down a bit? The problem I'm hearing is that I need to turn up the volume for dialogue, but once gunfire or explosions hit, it's almost too loud...and if it's a prolonged action sequence, I find myself constantly turning the volume up/down.

post #6 of 12 Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Btw, should I have all speakers set to "Full band" in my Onkyo setup? Or should I set the frequency manually?

post #7 of 12 Old 08-22-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmie View Post
Btw, should I have all speakers set to "Full band" in my Onkyo setup? Or should I set the frequency manually?
Ah there is the issue! You are making your speakers play full range which they aren't designed to do. Here are the steps you need to take:

On your sub, set the crossover to the highest position, phase to 0, and volume to ~30-40%.

Run your room correction and see what it sets everything at. You want all your speakers set to small, and a crossover set for each speaker. I would wager the fronts will be at 80Hz, maybe 90-100Hz for the center, and 100Hz+ for the surrounds. I think this will make a very noticeable difference in your sound quality.

post #8 of 12 Old 08-22-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
THX crossover is 80Hz to the sub for all speakers.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-22-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ah there is the issue! You are making your speakers play full range which they aren't designed to do. Here are the steps you need to take:

On your sub, set the crossover to the highest position, phase to 0, and volume to ~30-40%.

Run your room correction and see what it sets everything at. You want all your speakers set to small, and a crossover set for each speaker. I would wager the fronts will be at 80Hz, maybe 90-100Hz for the center, and 100Hz+ for the surrounds. I think this will make a very noticeable difference in your sound quality.
Thanks for the info...I will give this a shot tonight.

I apologize...whenever I think I know a decent amount about home theater, I realize I know very little ...especially about speaker setup, that's my real weakness. A couple more questions - 1) what is a "crossover set for each speaker"? and 2) will the Onkyo auto-setup determine the frequency for the fronts, center and rears after I change it from "full band" to something else or will I need to set those manually? Just curious.

post #10 of 12 Old 08-22-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The crossover frequency is the point at which the AVR will taper off frequencies and send them to the sub instead. This keeps your speakers from playing the low frequencies that they are not designed for, and lets the sub do what it does best.

You have Audyssey 2EQ on that receiver IIRC, and I am not sure if it allows individual crossovers to be set, but the calibration process should determine what crossover to use. If it still sets your speakers to large (full band), change them to small and set the crossover to 80Hz (if you can only choose one value for the whole system).

post #11 of 12 Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Onkyo's the normal range is 80 hz for all speakers, I would just leave it there. Set them to small, even after the auto eq is run. I set my center to - 3db and raise the master volume to get better Front speaker effects
post #12 of 12 Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Great...thanks for the replies...appreciate it.

I'll give it a shot when I get home from work today and let you guys know.

Thanks again.

Reply Speakers