Paradigm vs. Axiom vs. Aperion - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Paradigm vs. Axiom vs. Aperion

Starting the research for a speaker upgrade. Almost exclusively HT/TV duty, not much music. Yamaha RX-A3040 receiver incoming. Current speakers are Boston Acoustics "classic" series, which are nice, but I'm sure I could do better while still staying within a reasonable budget. FWIW, I'm running 7.1, using bookshelves as front presence speakers with a different brand of bipole speaker for surrounds; probably going to add a second pair of the bipole speakers in the rear for a 9.1 setup.

Looking at Paradigm Monitor 11's, Center 3 and Atom (or Mini) - tempting to just grab them at my local dealer who has a nice sale on right now. But, containing myself for now.

Comparison shopping against Axiom M80, with VP150 and M2; and Aperion Grand Verus towers, center and bookshelves.

Paradigm setup would be lowest price of the 3; are the Aperion's more comparable to Paradigm's Studio line?

I'm in Canada; could order the Axiom's for 30-day trial, but would have to pay return shipping if I didn't keep them. Not sure if Aperion's home trial applies for Canadians, but would have to foot the shipping bill both ways, I presume.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Those are three good options, also take a look at PSB, a Canadian company. I would recommend you try and listen to as many as you can, since we all hear differently. I would say you probably get better value with internet direct companies like Aperion and Axiom, but value is relative and you may enjoy other speakers more.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would start with the Axiom system, take the risk on the return shipping cost. I am using Axiom M22s, VP150 and QS8s with a Yamaha AVR for both HT and surround music, love the system. I don't know how well the M2 will work as surround speakers but Axiom support probably does. If I could afford the M80 for the main speakers, that would be my upgrade.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Transmaniacon has good advice. Ideally, if you can find a location that has two or more of the models you are considering (could be at a store or Home Theater GTG that are often posted here on AVS), listen to them side-by-side. Always keep in mine their room is not your room, but it should give you a taste of what differences each speaker has between the brands.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Personally, if it were me, I'm a Paradigm fan for sound/value. But that's just my two cents and everyone has their own ear.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. After I posted this I discovered that my local dealer has a sale/deal on Paradigm Monitors right now - Monitor 11's for $1,298/pr (Canadian) before tax.... Need to go check this out, even though I wasn't really planning to upgrade for a few months....

PSB look like a nice speaker, but I'm in Atlantic Canada...far far away from any dealer carrying these. Same problem with being able to listen to any of these side by side. My local dealer has Paradigm...period. Next closest dealer (about 2.5 hours away) has Paradigm and B&W. Next closest dealer is over 4 hours away and has some other stuff, but I'm not likely to take an 8hour round trip just to scope out some speakers that I likely won't be buying.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Oppo BDP-103D
post #6 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Paradigm makes great stuff, go have a listen. Perhaps order one of the ID brands you like the most, and then when they come in, take them to the Paradigm dealer and listen to both side by side. Then if you like Paradigm better, buy them and mail back the ID speaker.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #7 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Paradigm makes great stuff, go have a listen. Perhaps order one of the ID brands you like the most, and then when they come in, take them to the Paradigm dealer and listen to both side by side. Then if you like Paradigm better, buy them and mail back the ID speaker.

Yeah, I think I am going to stop by my dealer on my lunch break today, take a look and see how long this sale is on for.

Also, noticed this morning that Axiom is having a promotion where you get a 20% "cash back" card when you order anything on their site by Aug. 31. So, I could order a pair of the M80s and the VP150 center (both from the Factory Outlet section of the site), and the cash back would be enough for me to order the M2's later (or mostly pay for the M3's). And the total price would be almost exactly the same as the Paradigm Monitor 11's, Center 3 and Mini's.

Those Axioms are 4ohm speakers and are rated up to 400W; awaiting delivery of my new Yamaha RX-A3040, which should run them okay, but I use an Emotiva XPA-3 on the L/C/R anyway, so I bet those babies would sing!

Man, did I mention I wasn't really planning for an upgrade for a few months?

Oppo BDP-103D
post #8 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

It's hard to pass up a good sale!

post #9 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
AC:

I have Axioms all over my house in 3 systems. My HT has M22s, VP160, QS8s & a pair of monster EP800 subs (really impressive).

After playing around with several CC speakers over the last couple of years including the VP 100 (due to space limitations with my previous system stand), I upgraded to the VP 160. If you can swing it financially & have the space for this brute, it would certainly be the way to go. The 160 has a more 'accepted' driver layout on the front baffle that supposedly is better for off axis listening. It reaches much deeper as well - my Audyssey 'hears' it at 40 Hz & I cross it at 60 Hz.

For surrounds, the QS series are a highly acclaimed quadpolar design that come with supplied powered wall mounts - very slick indeed. I recently upgraded from the QS4s to QS8s but I really hear no difference between the two. The 4s would work just fine & saves a few bucks as well...

TAM
post #10 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post
AC:

I have Axioms all over my house in 3 systems. My HT has M22s, VP160, QS8s & a pair of monster EP800 subs (really impressive).

After playing around with several CC speakers over the last couple of years including the VP 100 (due to space limitations with my previous system stand), I upgraded to the VP 160. If you can swing it financially & have the space for this brute, it would certainly be the way to go. The 160 has a more 'accepted' driver layout on the front baffle that supposedly is better for off axis listening. It reaches much deeper as well - my Audyssey 'hears' it at 40 Hz & I cross it at 60 Hz.

For surrounds, the QS series are a highly acclaimed quadpolar design that come with supplied powered wall mounts - very slick indeed. I recently upgraded from the QS4s to QS8s but I really hear no difference between the two. The 4s would work just fine & saves a few bucks as well...

TAM

Thanks.

Regarding the VP160, I actually don't have the space for this. My center channel has to fit within a defined space in the upper portion of a cabinet below my TV. Height is the big constraint here. Per the specs, the VP150 will juuuuuuuuust fit; sadly the 160 will not. (Notably, this is a problem for the Paradigm Center 3 as well; if I went with Paradigm, I would have to go with the Center 1, which - although my dealer assures me otherwise - I'm not too convinced would be adequate with Monitor 11s)

Oppo BDP-103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page