Best way to hook up JBL LSR305 to PC? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best way to hook up JBL LSR305 to PC?

What is the best way to hook up a pair of JBL LSR305 to my PC? What type of other things would I need? Looking for the best sound quality option. If its better to get a set up audioengine a5+ let me know. Thanks

Last edited by Carson45; 08-22-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Old 08-22-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
No, you can either use an XLR-to-3.5mm cable, a TRS-to-3.5 mm cable, or do what I did with my LRS308s, which is to use a DAC like the Behringer UCA222, and a couple of XLR male to RCA male cables.

Mr. Mysterious
Old 08-22-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

That being said, what method is the best for sound performance?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson45 View Post
Pretty much the same no matter which one you try.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson45 View Post
The best way would be with a DAC, since PCs typically have noisy analog out connections. I would take a look at the Behringer UCA222 for $30, you plug it in via USB and then run RCA to TRS cables from the DAC to the speakers.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 08-25-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Depends on your budget, but you may want to look at a few other audio interfaces. Features you will gain are tabletop volume controls, quality converters, nicer headphone application and control, and better drivers. You may pay for some features you don't need like xlr or multiple ins/outs. Depends on priorites. I do music so i use most of these functions from time to time.
Here a few
Prob the most suggested
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarlettSolo
The one i use
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KompAudio6
The one i use outputs spdif so i can run the computer through my main system and uses cirrus logic converters . They're in the same room so that comes in handy.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstan7777 View Post
Depends on your budget, but you may want to look at a few other audio interfaces. Features you will gain are tabletop volume controls, quality converters, nicer headphone application and control, and better drivers. You may pay for some features you don't need like xlr or multiple ins/outs. Depends on priorites. I do music so i use most of these functions from time to time.
Here a few
Prob the most suggested
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarlettSolo
The one i use
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KompAudio6
The one i use outputs spdif so i can run the computer through my main system. They're in the same room.
This would be a good addition OP, if you want something a little more affordable, look at the Lexicon Alpha for $60.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 08-25-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
This would be a good addition OP, if you want something a little more affordable, look at the Lexicon Alpha for $60.
Lexicon drivers usually suck. Read reviews on what os you use and you can get a good idea of what works with what. I took a chance on native instruments and windows because i wanted the spdif. Rave reviews with apple but no so much with windows. I had to restart the computer all the time at first but they updated the driver and that solved the issues. If you use windows, focusrite gets good reviews and I've had good luck with maudio.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstan7777 View Post
Lexicon drivers usually suck. Read reviews on what os you use and you can get a good idea of what works with what. I took a chance on native instruments and windows because i wanted the spdif. Rave reviews with apple but no so much with windows. I had to restart the computer all the time at first but they updated the driver and that solved the issues. If you use windows, focusrite gets good reviews and I've had good luck with maudio.
I used a Lexicon Alpha on Windows for about a year and never had an issue. The Focusrite is a good product though.

Last edited by Transmaniacon; 08-25-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I used a Lexicon Alpha on Windows for about a year and never had an issue. The Focusrite is a good product though.
Yeah, it's hit or miss with those drivers. There are so many things that cause issues. I ended up with a music only computer back when i was really into it. Just a standard windows install and only music software. Used an maudio delta 66. That was back when pci cards were the way to go.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well I lost this thread and just remade a thread concerning the same info, so if someone can take that off that would be great. Sorry for making 2 threads. Thanks for the input and wouldn't mind at all getting the Focusrite Scarlett Solo if it would improve the sound quality. What about a sound card for my computer over a on board sound card? I just built a new computer so its brand new and the sound coming from it is pretty good.

How does installation go for this? I guess what Im wondering is what gets plugged into my computer from this? Cause right now Im using the 3.5mm input
Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

What if I just got something like this? So I could just go from TRS from the speakers to TRS into the interface?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i4
Old 08-29-2014, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That would work nicely Carson. If you can manage it I would recommend getting the next model up - the Scarlett 6i6 - for ~$50 more you get extra line inputs and S/PDIF I/O. This will be handy when you find it convenient to connect extra units (you will!). The S/PDIF is particularly handy, particularly if you want to connect a console.

That said I have no direct first hand experience with Focusrite. I have been delighted with similar products from MOTU and Native Instruments. M-Audio have been disapponting however. I got the dreaded 'ghosting' noises with a Fast Track Pro and some portables. The MOTU and NI models have been consistently perfect.

For balanced cabling to be effective both ends of the connection must be balanced. So it's only ever worthwhile using the balanced inputs on active speakers if you have an interface with balanced outs.