$750 - front ported, bookshelf 5.1? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sdg4vfx

post #1 of 16 Old 08-23-2014, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy $750 - front ported, bookshelf 5.1?

Defeated, she won. Have to downsize the 5.0 system I have been running (onix x).

First, yes, I realize that guy was a terrible person. But, I didn't know it at the time I bought any of that stuff. I have a center channel, two bookshelf surrounds and two tower mains. All share 6.5 drivers I believe. They sound pretty good and can move some air. Now, I'm moving. The center channel won't fit on the mantle (far too deep, I have 8 inches to work with) and I'm not allowed to keep floor standers as mains if I want to keep my klipsch fortes in the vinyl-only stereo I have...I'm not giving those up. Worst part is, I doubt I can get any money out of the 5.0 setup due to the aforementioned jerk.

This means I'm in the market for a 5.1 setup and need to wall mount everything except the center channel. I have a pretty big room and I'm nervous about filling it. Most of the stuff in my range seems pretty small (def tech 600, energy take 5, klipsch quintet, etc.) or rear ported meaning the requisite wall mount isn't going to work well (Cambridge s30, Andrew jones pioneer). Anything will be driven by my onkyo 809.

Am I missing any options here? Not sure where else to look or if I should just pick a sacrifice on the porting or size and realize things can't be perfect with my budget and space constraints. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and beers.

Last edited by 1664; 08-23-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to put the receiver in my post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 53
NHT SuperZero. http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-spe...&category=3772

Edit:
Oops, looks like ported actually is a requirement. I should read more and type less...

Last edited by willieconway; 08-23-2014 at 10:18 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-24-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
NHT SuperZero. http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-spe...&category=3772

Edit:
Oops, looks like ported actually is a requirement. I should read more and type less...
Thanks a bunch for the recommendation.

Sealed would be fine and the super zeros look great...but, they don't make a center channel in that range and the bookshelf would not fit under my tv due to its height.

I guess I could consider the absolute center channel with super zero surrounds but I would be worried about timbre marching as they use different drivers.
post #4 of 16 Old 08-24-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Super Zero is a solid choice.

Maybe also take a look at the Ascend Acoustics HTM-200. $750 for 5, they are sealed and designed to be wall mounted. Above average sound quality for that kind of speaker in that price range. They will dig deeper than the Super Zero's and accommodate a standard crossover with the sub of 80hz.

Two other speaker lines that fit your situation (sealed or front ported and wall mountable) but are the next level up in price ...

KEF Q100 (x4) with Q200c center - $1150 at http://www.accessories4less.com. Q100's are front ported and wall mountable, sealed center speaker is 10.2" deep.

NHT Absolute Zero (x4) with Absolute Center - $1310 at http://www.nhthifi.com/Absolute-Zero...&category=3772. Sealed, wall mountable, also comes in white, less than 8" deep. They also make an Absolute Wall Speaker model - only 4" deep and the same price but no matching center.

The only other options that come to mind are satellite speakers ... but generally speaking I'd consider them a step down from any of the above.
mtn-tech likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-24-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
Super Zero is a solid choice.

Maybe also take a look at the Ascend Acoustics HTM-200. $750 for 5, they are sealed and designed to be wall mounted. Above average sound quality for that kind of speaker in that price range. They will dig deeper than the Super Zero's and accommodate a standard crossover with the sub of 80hz.

Two other speaker lines that fit your situation (sealed or front ported and wall mountable) but are the next level up in price ...

KEF Q100 (x4) with Q200c center - $1150 at http://www.accessories4less.com. Q100's are front ported and wall mountable, sealed center speaker is 10.2" deep.

NHT Absolute Zero (x4) with Absolute Center - $1310 at http://www.nhthifi.com/Absolute-Zero...&category=3772. Sealed, wall mountable, also comes in white, less than 8" deep. They also make an Absolute Wall Speaker model - only 4" deep and the same price but no matching center.

The only other options that come to mind are satellite speakers ... but generally speaking I'd consider them a step down from any of the above.
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Absolute zero looks good enough to stretch the price range a bit. Thanks for the recommendation. Next, I suppose I will start looking for a sub.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-25-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Another option is HTD. The Level Three bookshelves are front ported and would do a better job in a big room. They also make a low-profile center speaker meant to be mounted under a TV, or fit perfectly on a mantle. I love NHT, but I think the HTD might be better if you are sitting a good distance away.

If you need a compact sub, the SVS SB-2000 is an excellent choice.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #7 of 16 Old 08-25-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 483
With no indication of your room size the best any of us can do is speculate, but assuming it's not terribly large another potential option to consider would be the Wave Crest HVL-1.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #8 of 16 Old 08-26-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
With no indication of your room size the best any of us can do is speculate, but assuming it's not terribly large another potential option to consider would be the Wave Crest HVL-1.
It is a pretty big room, 27x12x8.5. The sensitivity on the nhts is a bit worrisome, but my onkyo 809 is reasonably strong and I can always add more amplification later. The wave crest and htd centers are a little too deep, unfortunately.

Right now, looking like the absolute zeroes are still the best bet, hoping to find a used svs pb-2000 to pair them with.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-26-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1664 View Post
It is a pretty big room, 27x12x8.5. The sensitivity on the nhts is a bit worrisome, but my onkyo 809 is reasonably strong and I can always add more amplification later. The wave crest and htd centers are a little too deep, unfortunately.

Right now, looking like the absolute zeroes are still the best bet, hoping to find a used svs pb-2000 to pair them with.
Given your restriction on depth you should definitely consider the XTZ 93.21, which are only 7" deep. I own them myself, and for the money I think they're very nice speakers. For a limited time XTZ is offering 30% off and free shipping (promo code 93HTS30), making them even more attractive. With the discount a 5.0 system delivered to your door is less than $700. You'll be hard pressed to beat that deal.

post #10 of 16 Old 08-27-2014, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Given your restriction on depth you should definitely consider the XTZ 93.21, which are only 7" deep. I own them myself, and for the money I think they're very nice speakers. For a limited time XTZ is offering 30% off and free shipping (promo code 93HTS30), making them even more attractive. With the discount a 5.0 system delivered to your door is less than $700. You'll be hard pressed to beat that deal.
Can they easily be wall mounted? Love that the nht speakers have the threaded hole so I don't have to dig into the cabinet.

Last edited by 1664; 08-27-2014 at 12:38 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-27-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Can they easily be wall mounted? Love that the nht speakers have the threaded hole so I don't have to dig into the cabinet.
It looks like they have a hanger on the back, the VideoSecu wall mounts are a popular and affordable option though.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #12 of 16 Old 08-27-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There's a picture showing the back of the speaker at that link I included, so you can see exactly what it is there.

post #13 of 16 Old 08-27-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

One last issue, folks...

Given my room size, could I get away with the svs pb-1000 or do I really need the 2000? What about the sealed hsu subs?

How finicky are rear ported subs on wall placement? I was hoping to throw the thing in a corner. Thea rythmik sub looks great, but not sure it would work in that placement.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-27-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One last issue, folks...

Given my room size, could I get away with the svs pb-1000 or do I really need the 2000? What about the sealed hsu subs?

How finicky are rear ported subs on wall placement? I was hoping to throw the thing in a corner. Thea rythmik sub looks great, but not sure it would work in that placement.
PB-2000. I doubt you won't like the PB-1000, but you'll almost certainly be looking to upgrade within a year. Might be better to skip that step and go right to the finish line.

All the Rythmik would need is 6-8" for the port, not at all difficult to do with a corner placement.

post #15 of 16 Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
PB-2000. I doubt you won't like the PB-1000, but you'll almost certainly be looking to upgrade within a year. Might be better to skip that step and go right to the finish line.

All the Rythmik would need is 6-8" for the port, not at all difficult to do with a corner placement.
Thanks for all your responses, Jim.

Ordered the rythmik today, but then saw the svs outlet has the pb-12 nsd for $70 cheaper. Would the svs be significantly better given my needs? Should I try to cancel the rythmik?

At this point don't care about the price difference.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ordered the rythmik today, but then saw the svs outlet has the pb-12 nsd for $70 cheaper. Would the svs be significantly better given my needs? Should I try to cancel the rythmik?
They're comparable, neither will be significantly better then the other. I reviewed the LV12R though, so that one I have direct experience with. The SVS I haven't heard personally, but the comments posted about it are positive. You won't be disappointed with the Rythmik - for the money it can do an awful lot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page