Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Monitor Audio RX6 vs RX8 vs Whaferdale 10.7

Hi to all:

Im thinking seriuosly on upgrading my Polk RtiA7 with one of these speakers:
1. MA RX6
2. MA RX8
3. Wharfedale Diamond 10.7

This is only one time shot because this hobby is expensive and I cant buy speakers every 3 years! I love my Polks on my Pioneer SC81 but I want an upgrade. I love movies and music as well. Its like 55% movies and 45% music.
I also has two subs. Both sealed.

My doubt between rx6 and rx8 is the following. The rx6 has one woofer and one midbass/midrange mix woofer and no dedicated midrange. While rx8 has 2 woofers - no midbass driver but adds one 4 inches midrange driver; pretty similar to the polks.

On contrary the wharfedale 10.7 has two woofers, and one small midrange but one woofer takes care of bass while the other woofer takes care of midbass plus it has a dedicated midrange; too bad is only 2 inches..

So. Im not sure if the rx8 has different crossovers for the woofers so one takes care on the low bass and the other takes care on the upper bass. My guess is both are just woofers for low bass.

There is no demo place where I live to test rx6/rx8/wharfedale. So its hard to me to decide. I believe polks missed a bit in the midbass department and as for midrange its good but dont consider it as awesome.

I guess the wharfedale has it all (low bass; mid bass, mid range) but I read reviews and seems the rx6 is a better sounding speaker.

The other thing is that whaferdale has an affordable 3-way center channel. Monitor Audio 3-way center ch is way expensive for me at this moment. If you guys can comment between Silver Series center and 3-way would be good for me too.

Please all inputs/Opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-24-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post
Hi to all:

Im thinking seriuosly on upgrading my Polk RtiA7 with one of these speakers:
1. MA RX6
2. MA RX8
3. Wharfedale Diamond 10.7

This is only one time shot because this hobby is expensive and I cant buy speakers every 3 years! I love my Polks on my Pioneer SC81 but I want an upgrade. I love movies and music as well. Its like 55% movies and 45% music.
I also has two subs. Both sealed.

My doubt between rx6 and rx8 is the following. The rx6 has one woofer and one midbass/midrange mix woofer and no dedicated midrange. While rx8 has 2 woofers - no midbass driver but adds one 4 inches midrange driver; pretty similar to the polks.

On contrary the wharfedale 10.7 has two woofers, and one small midrange but one woofer takes care of bass while the other woofer takes care of midbass plus it has a dedicated midrange; too bad is only 2 inches..

So. Im not sure if the rx8 has different crossovers for the woofers so one takes care on the low bass and the other takes care on the upper bass. My guess is both are just woofers for low bass.

There is no demo place where I live to test rx6/rx8/wharfedale. So its hard to me to decide. I believe polks missed a bit in the midbass department and as for midrange its good but dont consider it as awesome.

I guess the wharfedale has it all (low bass; mid bass, mid range) but I read reviews and seems the rx6 is a better sounding speaker.

The other thing is that whaferdale has an affordable 3-way center channel. Monitor Audio 3-way center ch is way expensive for me at this moment. If you guys can comment between Silver Series center and 3-way would be good for me too.

Please all inputs/Opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I'm a little confused by your question. You list the RX6 and RX8, but in your follow-up descriptions, it seems you talk about the newer Silver 8, not the RX8 (because the Silver 8 has the dedicated 4" midrange driver, whereas the older RX8 had three 6" drivers in a 2 1/2 way configuration).

If you're using two subs and you're talking about the RX6 and RX8, I'd get the RX6. The RX8 advantages are a moot point if using subwoofers.

If you're talking about the Silver 6 and Silver 8, the newer models, I'd recommend the Silver 8 if you can afford it, because of it's dedicated 4" midrange. In theory, at least, the Silver 8 is the most "sound" design Monitor Audio has done in the Silver range.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-24-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. I thought rx6 = silver 6 and rx8 are silver 8.

I knew the old version of rx6 is rs6. Not sure if the older version of rx8 was an rs8.

So what are the newer version of rx6 and rx8?
post #4 of 13 Old 08-24-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The Silver series has gone through numerous model lineups over the years. The newest ones are just called Silver 1/2/6/8/10. The previous series was the RX series (RX1, RX2, RX6, RX8).

Here's a rough history of the Silver series:

2001-2005:
Silver S series
S1, S2, S6, S8, S10

2005-2009:
Silver RS series
RS1, RS6, RS8 (no RS2, no RS10)

2009-2013
Silver RX series
RX1, RX2, RX6, RX8

2013-now
Silver series,
Silver 1, Silver 2, Silver 6, Silver 8, Silver 10
zieglj01 likes this.

post #5 of 13 Old 08-24-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
The Silver series has gone through numerous model lineups over the years. The newest ones are just called Silver 1/2/6/8/10. The previous series was the RX series (RX1, RX2, RX6, RX8).

Here's a rough history of the Silver series:

2001-2005:
Silver S series
S1, S2, S6, S8, S10

2005-2009:
Silver RS series
RS1, RS6, RS8 (no RS2, no RS10)

2009-2013
Silver RX series
RX1, RX2, RX6, RX8

2013-now
Silver series,
Silver 1, Silver 2, Silver 6, Silver 8, Silver 10

Hi Beav

Thanks again. And yes you are right. I think i mixed models because I was reading specs of rx6 and rx8 in different sites. So I was talking about the rx8 with specs of the silver. 8. Now I know rx8 does not has a dedicated midrange like the silver 8.

Back again. Yes, Now that I know this I cant afford Silver 8. So. Its just rx6 or rx8. Knowing now that rx8 still does not have a dedicated midrange you recommend rx6.

So, between Polks RtiA7 vs Monitor Audio RX6; which one has a better sound; better midbass and midrange sq?
post #6 of 13 Old 08-24-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

To be honest, I prefer the RX6 over the Polk RtiA7 based on looks and size (it's a little more compact), but in terms of sound quality, I can't say it's a big upgrade over the Polks. You might like the RX6 a little better, or you might not. But I don't think it will be a dramatic step up in quality. It might be more of a sideways move, or maybe a "diagonal" move (a little sideways and a little up).

If you really want an upgrade, I'd either look for something else or just wait.

One other thing you could consider is that since you say you already have two subwoofers, you could spend the money you would spend on the RX6's and get a pair of really high quality standmount/bookshelf speakers. One can often get a higher-quality bookshelf speaker for the same price as a mid-quality tower speaker. And with subwoofers handling the bass, there isn't as much need for getting the towers. Something like the Monitor Audio Gold bookshelf speakers or the Polk LSiM 703 bookshelf speakers would do really well with your subwoofers.

post #7 of 13 Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
To be honest, I prefer the RX6 over the Polk RtiA7 based on looks and size (it's a little more compact), but in terms of sound quality, I can't say it's a big upgrade over the Polks. You might like the RX6 a little better, or you might not. But I don't think it will be a dramatic step up in quality. It might be more of a sideways move, or maybe a "diagonal" move (a little sideways and a little up).

If you really want an upgrade, I'd either look for something else or just wait.

One other thing you could consider is that since you say you already have two subwoofers, you could spend the money you would spend on the RX6's and get a pair of really high quality standmount/bookshelf speakers. One can often get a higher-quality bookshelf speaker for the same price as a mid-quality tower speaker. And with subwoofers handling the bass, there isn't as much need for getting the towers. Something like the Monitor Audio Gold bookshelf speakers or the Polk LSiM 703 bookshelf speakers would do really well with your subwoofers.
Thats good to know. And yes; imagine spending $1,200 without shipping cost and then its not a dramatic upgrade not worthy. What I really maybe need to start is a better Center Ch. I still have the Polk CS2 Center; and I know the A6 Center are the ones that I should consider. But following your suggestion; the the Whale 10.7 vs Polks A7 would be more likely the same "sideway move"? Or keep saving for Silver 8's... Wow!... Another question;. Im just wonder how much difference i can get from CS2 Center vs CSA6 Center....
post #8 of 13 Old 08-25-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Hmm, I thought the old RX6 was the 2 1/2 way speaker, and the RX8 was a true three-way (with the top 6" driver being the midrange driver). That's how they specified it on their website anyway.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-25-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post
Thats good to know. And yes; imagine spending $1,200 without shipping cost and then its not a dramatic upgrade not worthy. What I really maybe need to start is a better Center Ch. I still have the Polk CS2 Center; and I know the A6 Center are the ones that I should consider. But following your suggestion; the the Whale 10.7 vs Polks A7 would be more likely the same "sideway move"? Or keep saving for Silver 8's... Wow!... Another question;. Im just wonder how much difference i can get from CS2 Center vs CSA6 Center....
Yes, I think the Wharfedale 10.7 would also be a sideways move.

I do think you would benefit from a better center channel. Maybe you should start there.

post #10 of 13 Old 08-25-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
Hmm, I thought the old RX6 was the 2 1/2 way speaker, and the RX8 was a true three-way (with the top 6" driver being the midrange driver). That's how they specified it on their website anyway.
Monitor Audio's description of the RX8 sorta, kinda implies that it's a true three-way, but they don't explicitly state that it is. It's kinda of deceiving.

A couple years ago I saw some discussion of this on a European (or UK) forum, and nobody that I saw had a definitive answer.

But I saw some measurements from a Euro or Russian site that made it look like it's not a three-way, or at best "kind-of" is. The upper woofer extended well down into the bass, below 100 Hz, but not quite as low as the bottom two woofers. That is probably just due to cabinet tuning (I think the top woofer has its port on the back, and then the bottom two woofers are in another chamber and ported to the front).

post #11 of 13 Old 08-25-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Monitor Audio's description of the RX8 sorta, kinda implies that it's a true three-way, but they don't explicitly state that it is. It's kinda of deceiving.
Well, they actually do, here. Even though they say here that the RX6 is a 2 1/2 way. And they even call out the crossover frequencies differently, stating for the RX6 the LF crossover is 700 Hz, but in the RX8 they call it the LF/MF crossover (at 300 Hz). A comparison of those two lines on the data sheets of those two speakers is what led me to believe the RX8 is a true three way. I've also read it in reviews, but usually reviewers get that information from marketing anyway (unless they actually measured, which only Stereophile does AFAIK), so it means nothing.

Not that what the manufacturer says means anything. I do know of one manufacturer that publicly states a model is a 4-way, when in fact its designer has told me it is a 3 1/2 way. The reason given was that nobody knows what a 3 1/2 way is. So there ya go

post #12 of 13 Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

You're certainly right that that chart says it's a three-way.

But the text in their description is what I was referring to:
"A feat of ergonomic brilliance by our design team has engineered the greater poise and power of a large three-way loudspeaker into the svelte RX8." That's where they imply that it's a three-way but don't specifically state that it is.

I can't find the website, but I did find on my hard drive that I had save the RX8 nearfield measurements. From this you can see the crossover is around 600Hz. But the top mid-woofer doesn't extend as low as the bottom two do.

I suppose it's a matter of semantics anyway. Maybe they should call it a 2 2/3 way! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MonitorAudio_RX8 nearfield.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	229409  

post #13 of 13 Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
You're certainly right that that chart says it's a three-way.

But the text in their description is what I was referring to:
"A feat of ergonomic brilliance by our design team has engineered the greater poise and power of a large three-way loudspeaker into the svelte RX8." That's where they imply that it's a three-way but don't specifically state that it is.

I can't find the website, but I did find on my hard drive that I had save the RX8 nearfield measurements. From this you can see the crossover is around 600Hz. But the top mid-woofer doesn't extend as low as the bottom two do.

I suppose it's a matter of semantics anyway. Maybe they should call it a 2 2/3 way! :-)
Ha, I see what they did there. It has the poise and power of a three-way. That's all. Gotta love marketing!

Reply Speakers