AVS Forum banner

Tech Question!

483 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  mtn-tech 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to the forum, but have listened to speakers all my life! :)
I have recently upgraded from an Onkyo amp (can't remember the model as I had it for a couple of years) when I purchased a Dali Concept speaker setup. I discovered quickly once the new speakers were set up that the amp was going into protection mode a little too readily when I pushed the speakers. Any spike in sound that gave the sub and the front Dali Concept 8's a kick in the guts equaled a shut down of the amp. :(:mad:
I assumed the amp was not up to the task of running large floor standing speakers, plus some surround and a good size centre plus the sub - previous to this I was running some rather tame Kenwood bookshelves all round and a Kenwood sub.
So, I convinced the wife that we needed a better amp to get the proper performance from the speakers I'd just got.
We went and got a Yamaha RX-V2075.
All was going well until one day when I was really getting into some Parliament CD's.
Amp cuts out, and a 'check speaker wire' message was displayed.
I did this, even though I'd only run new wire all round less than a month beforehand. All was well with the wire.
So my question is...
Could this be a problem with a speaker itself? Could one (or heaven forbid more) speaker(s) be shorting rather than the wires causing a short on two separate amps?
If it is the speaker, are their any easy diagnostics I can do to investigate and potentially solve the problem?
I live in Darwin (Aus), and the options available for repairs or professional investigations are virtually non existent. I cannot locate my original purchase receipt, although Dali are reputedly good at after care service with lifetime warranties on some of their components.
Any direction on what I could be looking for in regard to consistent although unpredictable shorting would be of great value.
And sorry for the shortness of the post. I'll be sure to write in much more detail in the future! :rolleyes::nerd:

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting, your Yamaha should be able to
Handle those speakers. They are 6ohm but
The AVR has enough power I would think.

1-double check your speaker wires. One stray strand
On the back of your AVR will cause what you describe.
Check the wiring on the back of the speakers too!
2-are you using bass management...your speakers should
All be set to small and set the crossover to 60 or 80 Hz.
This will allow the sub to play all the bass heavy notes
Below the xover. Your speakers will require less power
And play cleaner and louder. Let the powered sub do the
"Heavy lifting".
3-you don't mention how many speakers you are using in
Your system. If it is 7 or 9 you may be taxing the amp too
Much. Use bass mgmt as described above.
4- start isolating the speakers...example- start with the left/right
Only and crank em up. If it shuts down the you know it's one of
The 2. Then play just one. Repeat as much as needed, it is possible
You may have a bad speaker...it happens.

Good Luck and report back plz.

#3 · (Edited)
Awesome. Will do the isolation test this week.
Setting the speakers (even the floor standing) to small: does this decrease the overall range of the speaker? I've no issue doing it and have in fact already done this, but there is a part of me that thinks 'what's the point of having these big speakers with two 8" woofers if they are only going to use 1/4 of their range when set to small with a 80hz crossover?' Does it work like that, or will they still play through their full dynamic range minus the sub frequency?

And I am only running fronts, surround x 2, centre and sub (5.1 setup). I don't have enough room to squish in another four speakers to do dynamic fill or surround back, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

#8 ·
The sub setup...
I've looked in the book/manual and all it provides in regard to info on the role of functions is a guide to set the crossover dial on the sub at the half way point and to then adjust as necessary for personal preference. The dial on the sub (one for volume (which I completely get) and one for crossover) is simply numbered from 1 - 10.
Does this have any direct correlation to Hz, or is it just a basic way of setting the crossover from the sub itself?
If I've set the crossover in bass management to 80Hz, what reasonably should my crossover setting be on the crossover dial on the sub? Or is it just really a 'fine tune' thing that won't have a great deal of impact on frequency?
Naturally the last thing I want is for all those chocolate bass notes to get lost in the land of never never because I've lost every frequency from 79Hz to 20Hz all because I had the dial set on 5 and not 7! :eek:

#9 ·
If you are using bass mgmt in the AVR
(Which you are) then the crossover knob
On the back of your sub should be turned
To its highest point. (Clockwise I think)
(Defeated)

The crossover in the bass mgmt function of the
AVR (80hz in your case) will send all content below 80hz
From The main,center and surrounds to the sub...which
Is good.

The reason why you want the crossover knob on the back of
The sub set to its highest value is that in dvd movies there
Is a dedicated bass track (the .1 in 5.1) that can have content
In it up to 120hz!! You don't want any of your chocolate bass
Notes to go MIA!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.