AVS Forum banner

Official Reaction Audio Thread

201K views 4K replies 176 participants last post by  ahblaza 
#1 ·
I figured it would be nice to start an official Reaction Audio thread seeing that Jeremy has the CX-10 coax LCR speaker available and is working on at least two other models. He actually contacted me in regards to a few posts that I made about the CX-10's and potentially making a really nice surround speaker for me using the Radian 5208c coax.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
The surround speakers that I'm going to get made are basically just a custom thing right now, I'm sure at some point if there's a demand for them Jeremy will offer them in his speaker lineup. :)
I have JTR 228HT's for mains and really wanted to buy the Slant 8's from JTR which also use a 8" coax speaker but I just couldn't justify spending 4 grand on two pairs of surrounds. So I was extremely happy to have Jeremy to build me something similar using the Radian coax's but costing half as much, they should be a great match for my 228HT's :)

#7 ·
There is other speakers in the pipeline from Reaction Audio too, things just take time as they are a new company. From conversation's with Jeremy they sound very promising! I love my JTR 228HT's but I'm really looking forward to hearing some of these new speakers at some point. :)

#10 ·
So I thought I'd posts the spec's for the CX-10's seeing that this is the Reaction Audio thread :)

10" Coaxial monitor for music and Home Theater
Suited for LCR or surround use. Can also be used as studio monitors or live sound reinforcement
10" woofer with 3" voice coil with center mounted 1.75" compression driver horn
Custom 1300 hz crossover with ERSE capacitors and high grade components
Cast frame baskets and 14 lbs total driver weight
100-350 watts rms recommended power (Can be driven to high levels with even modestly powered receivers!)
Recommended subwoofer crossover - 70 - 100 hz
95 db efficiency 1 watt,1 meter
Frequency Response - 57-18,000 hz +/- 3 db
Max Peak SPL 125 db
90 degree conical high end dispersion
Unmatched Price/Performance ratio
Heavy Duty MDF, 3/4 inch cabinet
Recessed baffles for clean look
3/8 Radius on all sides
Smooth Satin Black Finish
Black magnetic cloth grills
Weight: 38 pounds shipped
Size: 20 H x 12.5 W x 12.5 D
Free Ground Shipping to the lower 48 US states!
30 day in home trial
Warranty: 5 years

#23 ·
I've been corresponding with Jeremy about his upcoming designs as well. I don't want to spill the beans on anything before he's ready to announce, but let's just say it's big :)

Jeremy has been great to deal with and knows his stuff. Like jbrown15, I'm probably going to give these new Reaction Audio offerings a shot. They seem like really fantastic speakers.

#26 ·
Hey guys, I wanted to stop by first of all to thank Jbrown for creating the dedicated thread in the speaker section.

In addition to the overwhelming response to the CX-10 and the labor day pricing,we have had a lot of surprising interest in our upcoming surround/compact bookshelf speaker and tower design. I will be happy to elaborate a little here.

The CX-8 will be similar to the CX-10 but in a smaller and lighter cabinet. The CX-10 will have the ability to play a little louder and lower.
But the CX-8 will not be "thin" by any means. The CX-10 probably has the best upper bass and lower midrange authority of anything I have ever tested that is not a full tower, so when I say the 8" will not dig as deep, it's not to say that it will not sound full and thick when used with an 80hz crossover.

I had lots of interest in a "slanted" cabinet for surround duty as well as a compact bookshelf center. Rather than producing multiple cabinets I decided to combine both concepts into a versatile speaker. The cabinet will have a 20% angled slope on the back of the cabinet for wall mounting but will sit completely square on a shelf. I have attached a rough mock up (no laughing at my photoshop skills please!) that will demonstrate the design:

I am awaiting a 3d sketch-up which will be much better than my drawing :)

As for the Tower speaker, I will say that it will be somewhat large, but it will be affordable and just under 100db efficiency. It will be fairly flat down to 40hz and have extension well into the 30s.

The purpose of this speaker is to offer ultra high efficiency and SPL output for HT and top notch full range performance for music. For as much as we hear about two channel's demise, we get a lot of folks who still want a full range speaker for music. Some like to have their mains set to "large" so that the sub is only utilized for LFE and carrying over bass from the surrounds. This is also a great solution for those who like to run their mains lower than 80hz.

I will have more details in the next few weeks, but I will be happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

#37 ·
It's kind of hard to give you an exact answer to your question as the CX-10's haven't been around very long, it was only released to the make 6 weeks ago. I know for me I'd much rather have a compression driver over a titanium tweeter in my speaker. But again that's just my personal preference.

From looking at the pricing of the JBL 6332's, at least you know you'd save a good chunk of cash going with the CX-10's. And with a 30 day in home trial if you didn't like them just send them back.

#43 ·
The speaker design posted by Jeremy is pretty cool. A simple design that allows for bookshelf and angled wall mounting is spot on in my opinion.

Will definately keep these in mind when I upgrade my surrounds.

Subscribed. Thanks @jbrown15 for the thread. I had seen their subs but didn't know he was now building speakers.

#87 ·
I'm looking forward to hearing some owner's reviews of the CX-10 and 8, Randy get that review up as soon as you get your speakers.;)
Cheers Jeff
As you can see I don't post much. I thank all those that do as it is informative. I have the first pair of CX10's which are the 16 ohm version. I contacted Jeremy multiple times since I first heard about these coming to production stage. I wanted a pair of CX15's but Jeremy felt I should hear the 10's with a sub before making a leap of faith to the 15's. Thank you Jeremy for your excellent customer service

I am a diehard 2 channel fan so I prefer the mains to go as low as possible. I have discovered just how much a decent subwoofer can enhance the experience. The CX10's do require a subwoofer to shine. I am using these with a PSA xv15se sub. The speakers are on make shift stands 2 feet high. I have an open floor plan house with suspended hardwood floors and lots of reflective surfaces. I have demoed several ID speakers in this same set up. Those speakers have been 2 and 3 way designs with different types of tweeters and drivers. Some have sounded much better than others. The CX10's happen to be one of those that sound good in a difficult room. The speakers are 12 feet apart, room length is 20 feet, 8 ft. ceiling, front wall and floor are insulated. Source is Oppo bdp95 to pre-amp with 150 wpc amp.

I have heard coaxial speakers in cars and in one company's open baffle type speaker. Coaxial speakers may not be ideal for everyone but at this price point with a sub they will satisfy many. These speakers are dynamic. They play loud without distortion, sound good off axis, soundstage is limited by distance between speakers. They were designed to be heard being seated so that the coax is near ear level. They still sound good if you get up and move around the room. The left/right channel separation is excellent, mids are great and acoustical music shines without the sub on. The speakers are faithful to the quality of recording one is listening to. Just about every cd sounded as it should. I played different genres of music and am pleased with their performance. If my preference were for 2.1 music ( may yet be) these speakers would not be going back. Having heard what the CX10's can do, I and a few others are anticipating the arrival of the CX15's.

#68 ·
Stands

I made these when I had the Ascend 340s and also plan on using the same design for whatever new speakers I get soon, I just increased the schedule 40 PVC to 4" diameter instead of three for more stability and very inert. I also put 5/16 threaded inserts on the bases and threaded in a 2" furniture slider for the feet, I got those from McMaster-Carr, they have everything there. You can paint or stain the tops and bottoms to match your speaker finish.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html
Cheers Jeff :)

#69 ·
I made these when I had the Ascend 340s and also plan on using the same design for whatever new speakers I get soon, I just increased the schedule 40 PVC to 4" diameter instead of three for more stability and very inert. I also put 5/16 threaded inserts on the bases and threaded in a 2" furniture slider for the feet, I got those from McMaster-Carr, they have everything there. You can paint or stain the tops and bottoms to match your speaker finish.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html
Cheers Jeff :)

So now you just have to make some for the CX-10's that I know you want to buy!..lol :grin:

#72 ·
#89 ·
Jeremy sent me a couple 3D renderings of the new CX-8 and said he didn't mind if I posted them.

And if you want to wall mount them slanted down towards the seats you would flip them upside down like this and mount the bottom part to the speaker flush to the wall which will cause the speaker to face 20degrees down.

Attachments

#92 ·
Here is a rough sketch of the CX-15 cabinet.
We may be adding some simple bracing to the top chamber but otherwise this is pretty close to what we will be doing.
Jim tried to cleverly balance the weight so that the cabinet wasn't really top heavy, even though we have our driver mounted at the very top of the baffle.

The cabinet will weigh about 73 lbs empty.

Again, the 1/2" round-over on all edges is not depicted. We will also be adding floor spikes.

Attachments

#99 ·
Depending on the driver, two 8" drivers in a ported enclosure would have a slight advantage over a single 10" in maximum output in the mid-bass band. That being said, the 5210 has an impressive excursion, a massive motor structure and is no slouch in the upper bass department. Peak SPL is around 125 db and most who have heard it have cried "uncle" before I could reach either driver strain or amplifier clipping.

Mark Pinske says a local band in Orange CA is using two 5210 drivers with a pair of subs as their entire front of house for gigging small local clubs. A speaker that can handle live vocal mics, live snare drum etc will be cruising along in most HT applications.

#108 ·
I am wondering how these would compare against the JTR 8's. I was planning on using those as surrounds/atmos to compliment my Danley SM60Fs in my theater. Now I am having second thoughts. Hopefully someone can give a comparison.

Mike
Mike, I should have mine is 3-4 weeks and will compare them directly to my JTR 228's. The whole way the CX-8 came to be was from some discussions between Jeremy and myself. We started talking when he told me that he was using Radian drivers and he knew I was looking for something similar to JTR's Slant 8's but without having to spend a grand per speaker. The CX-8 was originally just going to be a custom order speaker for me, but seeing the amount of interest its already generated it looks like Jeremy will be offer it as a regular speaker along with a 15" coax tower code name CX-15T :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.