Old Monitor Audio Bronze vs new Pioneer Andrew Jones - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What's the better speaker?
Monitor Audio Bronze BR1 0 0%
Pioneer BS22 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Speakers > Old Monitor Audio Bronze vs new Pioneer Andrew Jones
sumitagarwal's Avatar sumitagarwal 07:45 AM 08-28-2014
I've had a full set of the first-generation Monitor Audio Bronze series for something like 14 years now. They were incredible back then and an incredible value, but do they still hold up against today's budget bests?

I started off having the L/R floorstanding speakers, the center channel, two of the FX speakers for the sides, and two of the bookshelf BR1's for the rears, and finally the matching sub for the whole system.

Over the years through wear and tear, water damage, and cross-country moves I only have the BR1 bookshelves, the FX surrounds, and the subwoofer. I've been getting along with this setup because apartment life hasn't been ideal for a theater anyway (I actually use the bookshelves in my office and the FX+subwoofer as the living room stereo!).

Anyways, I bought a house and am ready to put together a reasonable system again. I should be able to just buy a Bronze center speaker and be back to a decent 5.1 system. However, do I really want to continue investing in this old set? How would it compare to even the extremely inexpensive new Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers? Maybe its time I retired them (or just used the bookshelves in my office) and get a full new set.

Receiver is a Marantz SR7001.

Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 07:47 AM 08-28-2014
You can just go buy a pair of BS22 at Best Buy and try them out along side your Monitors, and then if they don't sound as good return them within 14 days.
sumitagarwal's Avatar sumitagarwal 07:50 AM 08-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
You can just go buy a pair of BS22 at Best Buy and try them out along side your Monitors, and then if they don't sound as good return them within 14 days.
Brooklyn life + no car = that's a lot of lugging =(
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 08:00 AM 08-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitagarwal View Post
Brooklyn life + no car = that's a lot of lugging =(
Well it's hard to say how the speakers will compare, everyone hears differently. Also it is important to hear speakers in your room since acoustics has a big effect on sound quality. I would see if you can get a ride there from someone to pick up the bookshelves, you don't need to buy the whole set.
sumitagarwal's Avatar sumitagarwal 08:35 AM 08-28-2014
Quote:
Well it's hard to say how the speakers will compare, everyone hears differently. Also it is important to hear speakers in your room since acoustics has a big effect on sound quality. I would see if you can get a ride there from someone to pick up the bookshelves, you don't need to buy the whole set.
Yea, that makes sense. Unfortunately the sellers of the townhouse don't move out until next Thursday and I've already scheduled a housewarming party for the Saturday immediately after that while there isn't much furniture (plan to have a lot of people, probably over 60, and need at least a good speaker setup for my guest DJ to use). So... no way to audition the living room, but also want to get this speaker set before the party if possible.
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 08:40 AM 08-28-2014
I would just keep what you have then and use that, music is stereo so you only need a couple bookshelves and a sub anyway. After you get settled in worry about an upgrade. I would wager though the Pioneers are probably at best a lateral move, and you would do better to save up for something nicer.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 09:29 AM 08-28-2014
If you go to Best Buy and want something budget-friendly and nice - then I would buy the
new Sony Core Bookshelf speakers - I do prefer them over the Pioneer speakers.
sumitagarwal's Avatar sumitagarwal 09:34 AM 08-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
If you go to Best Buy and want something budget-friendly and nice - then I would buy the
new Sony Core Bookshelf speakers - I do prefer them over the Pioneer speakers.
Cool, thanks for the rec, I'll look into them.

Overall I'm wondering though: how do my mid-market UK-made speakers from 14 years ago hold up against budget Chinese-made speakers today? I really don't get the impression that speaker technology has made the same strides during that time that, say, home video projection has...
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 09:55 AM 08-28-2014
Quote:

Overall I'm wondering though: how do my mid-market UK-made speakers from 14 years ago hold up against budget Chinese-made speakers today? I really don't get the impression that speaker technology has made the same strides during that time that, say, home video projection has...
Speakers age well, if you are happy with the sound of those speakers then I wouldn't bother changing until you can make a more significant upgrade. You obviously need to hear them to be sure, but I would wager it's not worth spending money on the Pioneers.

Maybe consider saving up for the new Monitor Audio Silver 1.
sumitagarwal's Avatar sumitagarwal 10:04 AM 08-28-2014
Quote:
Speakers age well, if you are happy with the sound of those speakers then I wouldn't bother changing until you can make a more significant upgrade. You obviously need to hear them to be sure, but I would wager it's not worth spending money on the Pioneers.

Maybe consider saving up for the new Monitor Audio Silver 1.
Thanks. Think I can get acceptable movie performance with a 4.1 setup? The bookshelf speakers as the front L/R, the FX surrounds on the sides, and then probably stick the subwoofer directly under the projection screen. While not as good as having a proper center channel, I'm hoping the sub will help anchor the audio to the screen? Crossover would be at 80Hz most likely.

For my office I'll probably get a set of active monitor speakers instead of passives with an amp.
Transmaniacon's Avatar Transmaniacon 10:18 AM 08-28-2014
Quote:
Thanks. Think I can get acceptable movie performance with a 4.1 setup? The bookshelf speakers as the front L/R, the FX surrounds on the sides, and then probably stick the subwoofer directly under the projection screen. While not as good as having a proper center channel, I'm hoping the sub will help anchor the audio to the screen? Crossover would be at 80Hz most likely.

For my office I'll probably get a set of active monitor speakers instead of passives with an amp.
Yeah that will work fine, your front speakers will create a phantom center effect anyway.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 10:18 AM 08-28-2014
Quote:

You may be in for a nice surprise - design and engineering with just some simple
changes, have made some nice changes in sound and presentation.

A lot of the present day speakers are less directional and throw a wide sound-stage

Some of today's nice budget friendly speakers are less harsh sounding, a little more
smooth and full sounding - and a little less artificial.

Now as far as Chinese - that is just the location where a lot of speakers are manufactured.
A good company will have quality control set in place - and some will have a representative
person there.

Now there are some nice budget gems - however for the most part, there tends to be a nice
difference between a $200 and $400 speaker.
Up
Mobile  Desktop