Advice for an odd space and a system that can grow
Had a lightning strike take out the receiver on my Panasonic HTIB and am looking to start over. I understand that my living space presents some challenges as does my budget, but I am hoping for some help because I am somewhat overwhelmed by choices. My new plan is to get a receiver and build my system out as I have both the funds and space. I am unsure if I should start 2.0, 3.0, 2.1 ect But reasonable quality and the ability to grow are important.
1) I have a budget of roughly $750 to start
2) I mostly enjoy movies, but also listen to a fair amount of music, largely post-rock
3) I still have the leftovers from a cheap pt870 panasonic 5.1 HTIB, but they use weird proprietary connectors. I also have a stand alone, internet connected, Blueray player.
4) The room is 13x18 with 10ft ceilings. However it is only 6.5 ft from the tv to the couch. Unlike the picture, the couch faces up and is in the middle of the room. It is an apartment so a powerful base while nice, is a luxury I can't utilize. The room has wood floors.
5) The front speakers will need to be along the wall with the tv placed below the passthrough windows seen on the upper end of the living area. A speaker could be placed in the right bookshelf, but the left speaker would have to be above the fridge for equal lateral separation. Floor speakers are ok, but they can be no more than 1 ft from the wall.
6) The only real real size concern comes from placement due to the small space.
7) I enjoy well rounded balanced sound. I enjoy a certain 'richness' that I am afraid I am not enough of a connoisseur to describe. As described earlier, while base is nice, the apartment living limits its use.
I hope that gives some idea of what I am looking for. Just trying to get an idea where to start.
edit: I am located in the United States.