Advice for an odd space and a system that can grow - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-28-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Advice for an odd space and a system that can grow

Had a lightning strike take out the receiver on my Panasonic HTIB and am looking to start over. I understand that my living space presents some challenges as does my budget, but I am hoping for some help because I am somewhat overwhelmed by choices. My new plan is to get a receiver and build my system out as I have both the funds and space. I am unsure if I should start 2.0, 3.0, 2.1 ect But reasonable quality and the ability to grow are important.

1) I have a budget of roughly $750 to start

2) I mostly enjoy movies, but also listen to a fair amount of music, largely post-rock

3) I still have the leftovers from a cheap pt870 panasonic 5.1 HTIB, but they use weird proprietary connectors. I also have a stand alone, internet connected, Blueray player.

4) The room is 13x18 with 10ft ceilings. However it is only 6.5 ft from the tv to the couch. Unlike the picture, the couch faces up and is in the middle of the room. It is an apartment so a powerful base while nice, is a luxury I can't utilize. The room has wood floors.

5) The front speakers will need to be along the wall with the tv placed below the passthrough windows seen on the upper end of the living area. A speaker could be placed in the right bookshelf, but the left speaker would have to be above the fridge for equal lateral separation. Floor speakers are ok, but they can be no more than 1 ft from the wall.

6) The only real real size concern comes from placement due to the small space.

7) I enjoy well rounded balanced sound. I enjoy a certain 'richness' that I am afraid I am not enough of a connoisseur to describe. As described earlier, while base is nice, the apartment living limits its use.

I hope that gives some idea of what I am looking for. Just trying to get an idea where to start.

edit: I am located in the United States.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	234153  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-29-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I might just recommend starting with a receiver and some towers. Since you are in an apartment, a sub might not be the best option right now, but towers will give you enough impact for the time being.

I would pick up an entry-level 5.1 receiver like this Denon AVR-E300: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html, It has Audyssey to EQ your speakers, and networking for streaming content. A4L is a good place to get refurbished units with warranties, and many people on here use them.

I think HTD is a good option for you here, you can actually get a 3.0 system with the rest of the money, look at the Level Two Towers and Level Two Center. They are front ported speakers so you can place them close to the wall, and offer great sound for the money.

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-tw...ower-Speakers#
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-tw...hannel-Speaker

I think the new Macassar Ebony finish is sharp, but you do pay a little extra for it.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 5 Old 09-02-2014, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please excuse the novice question, but the more I try to find the answer the more contradictory information I find. The E300 seems to be rated at 75 watts at 8 ohms while the HTD level two towers are rated at 125 watts at 8 ohms. While I know that these ratings are often apples to oranges comparisons, is there an issue in running such a disparity or would a more powerful receiver really be advised if the budget could be made to accommodate it?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-03-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenT View Post
Please excuse the novice question, but the more I try to find the answer the more contradictory information I find. The E300 seems to be rated at 75 watts at 8 ohms while the HTD level two towers are rated at 125 watts at 8 ohms. While I know that these ratings are often apples to oranges comparisons, is there an issue in running such a disparity or would a more powerful receiver really be advised if the budget could be made to accommodate it?
No, that is the power handling for the speaker meaning the most it can handle is 125 watts. It only takes 1 watt of power to produce SPL equal to the speakers sensitivity at 3 feet away. As you move farther away, the SPL drops, so you need more power. You are probably using between 10-20 watts most of the time during movies, with increases coming for loud scenes.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #5 of 5 Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi CitizenT,

Are you familiar with XTZ?

XTZ is a 10 year old company in Sweden that specialize in offering speakers with best performance/cost ratio using highest quality components and acoustic tuning by enthusiasts that are fanatical about offering the most natural sound.

You should check out the promotion that they are having on their 93 series speakers. Normally, they would be out of your budget, but with the special 30% off promotion, they may fit your budget.

XTZ 93 Series 30% Off Special

93.23 Left/Right
Regular Price: $210 Each
Promo Price:$147 Each

93.22 Center
Regular Price: $220 Each
Promo Price:$154 Each

93.21 Surround
Regular Price: $195 Each
Promo Price:$136.50 Each

You can get 93.21 or 93.23 premium quality speakers for less than $300 a pair with free shipping.

XTZ offers the industry best 60 day at home audition program that allows you to try out the speakers at your own home connected to your own system with risk free return policy.

Please feel free to contact me for advice with any questions.

Kind regards,

Jason

XTZ Sound USA
424-571-9571 Voice/Text

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For more information on XTZ products, please visit our website at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or e-mail us at
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page