post #1 of 11 Old Today, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Front and center

My room is about 2200 cu. ft.
Onkyo TX-NR609.
My current speakers are the B-Word acoustimass 7, 20 years old at least. Please be gentle with me.
I have a Klipsch RSW-10D sub.

My wife and I are not audiophile and have no audiophile budget. I listen to music all the time, mostly old-man folk/pop, singer/songwriter stuff. And I watch a couple movies during the week, maybe on Netflix, maybe a directv movie, maybe a bluray.

My sub is, in my humble opinion, reasonable. So from what I read on your forums, a bookshelf is a fine way to go for my front speakers, and match a center with them.

It seems, in my extremely limited understanding of all these things, that in my case, a trade-off of the bookshelf vs. a tower, is that I'd need to get a bookshelf mounted on the wall, seeing as I have no existing bookshelf nor other place at appropriate height. Whereas with a tower, I can stand it up with easier location of it. Am I somewhat correct with that opinion? For now, I will assume that I'm close to the mark, anyway.

So, along with 'reasonable' sound, I also want to get a good, or fair, value, so I look at items on discount. I see Amazon with the BIC America FH6, at $100ea, and that seems like a decent value, based upon what I read here. I could see myself going with 3 of these. There are better speakers, and there are worse, but this seems ok. My fear with that is as I mentioned - Where and how do I put them?

If I really want to go 'budget', I could go with the frequently-recommended Pioneer fs52 or the bookshelf. But in these forums, I've seen proponents of those Andrew Jones speakers say "If you have the choice and dollars, go with ... (instead of the Andrew Jones)".

So anyway, I see Bic DV64 delivered ~$250, plus the center DV62 for another $100. And the Bic FH6 Tower at $150 ea. , or that bookshelf for the attractive price of $100 (which I could use front center and left, I think). With my limited understanding, the differences in those Bics are horns vs. dome tweeters, I believe.

I've looked at your other recommendations - The Ascension Acoustics, the HVS, the Hsu, the Chane, they must be absolutely delightful but the shipping charges really add up...
Not trying to sell anybody, including myself, on the Bic's, but they seem like they'd do a job. I can pick up the Pioneers and Primus 363 and a bargain-priced Onkyo 4800 ($125/pair) at Frys or whatever and taste-test them at home, not so with the Bics...

Thanks for comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg living room.jpg (207.1 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Today, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 156
For the sale price you can often get those Pioneer speakers, they represent a lot of value if you don't have a lot to spend. Are they great speaker!? IMHO, no...but they may be as good or better than anything in the price range...just depends on your ears!
Infinity Primus p163 are often found in the 75-125/pr and that also would represent a great value. And IMHO, the Infinity look and sound better than the Pioneers, but that is just my opinion (I demo'd these two speakers and the Polk monitor 40s about 2 years ago and bought the Polk...but felt either the Polk or Infinity speakers would have been fine for my needs at the time).
Btw, either of the speakers and most likely the Bic speakers you mention will be a noticable and significant upgrade from the Acoustimas! I have heard the Bic speakers, so no specific comments on those.
Now, if you want to jump up one small step in quality, look at the EMP e5Bi speaker- very nice looking speakers, so they often pass the WAF, and sound great for the dollar- about 225/pr. They are ID only, meaning you cannot run to Best Buy to hear them, but they do have a 30 day return for any reason policy will full refund, except you pay return shipping, Also, Ascend Acoustic make some good budget speakers that are really good bang for the buck Look at the cbm170s (both the EMP and AAs are rear ported, so you would have to plug the port if you were going to flush mount them to the wall)

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub

Last edited by Elihawk; Today at 10:25 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old Today, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I would instead look at a better set of bookshelves, and forego a center for right now. It seems to me like music is your main priority, and a decent pair of bookshelves will do a good job creating a phantom center effect for the occasional movie. Later if you want to add a center, go right ahead, but I think you can maximize your value by focusing on your main sound needs.

I would take a look at the EMP E5Bi, you can get them for $225 shipped, leaving some extra cash for a set of speaker stands. They have a great neutral sound, with relaxed highs, and a strong mid-range. They look very sharp and would definitely pass the WAF test, I would take a look at them. Here are a couple good reviews:

http://www.andrew-robinson-online.co...f-loudspeaker/
http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek...aker-reviewed/

Also I ran my EMPs without a center for about a year, and they do a very good job with imaging. When I finally added the center, the difference was not as noticeable as I expected it to be; the phantom center effect from these speakers is very good.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #4 of 11 Old Today, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonrocks View Post
Not trying to sell anybody, including myself, on the Bic's, but they seem like they'd do a job. I can pick up the Pioneers and Primus 363 and a bargain-priced Onkyo 4800 ($125/pair) at Frys or whatever and taste-test them at home, not so with the Bics...

Thanks for comments.
I would get the Pioneer speakers from Frys, with your receiver - and test them at home.
The phase (2) Pioneer speakers are nice - and Better than the phase (1). I do not put the
phase (1) and phase (2) Pioneer speakers in the same class.

I do prefer the phase (2) Pioneer speakers over Bic

With the Pioneer towers, you will not need to buy stands or hang them on a wall.

Your option and call.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 11 Old Today, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 123
The Pioneer speakers have very good frequency response for their price - in my experience very smooth and sound good with music - they are obviously a good value. But they are not very sensitive and don't have a high maximum SPL (I've never seen a rating - just my experience). Many people that get them complain of a lack of dynamics and "punch" and are soon looking for something "more".

The BIC speakers with a horn loaded tweeter and "High efficiency output to 116dB" are much brighter in the high frequency and certain will play a lot louder - a completely different kind of speaker and will certainly have a much different "sound". Have you gone to listen to any speakers to see what kind of "sound" you like? Your time with Bose speakers isn't any help because nothing else sounds as bad as those do.

There are some general types and "sound" of speakers - but even these are subjective - figure out what kind of sound you like and listen to speakers with that type of "sound"

- high efficiency, horn loaded drivers (Klipsch, JBL, JTR)
- slightly bright, lively (Paradigm, Polk, Infinity, Focal)
- slightly warm, neutral (NHT, B&W, KEF)
- warm (Mordaunt-Short?, Sonus Faber?, Dynaudio?) never heard these so these are just what I've heard about
- planar (Martin Logan, Magnepan)

For theater only, most people tend toward the HE speakers with horn / compression drivers, for music only they tend toward the warmer / neutral speakers and for a mix of source material most (but of course not all) go in the middle somewhere.

Try to listen to some speakers locally so you know what "sound" you like before deciding on what speakers to get! If you cannot, there are some internet direct companies already mentioned where you can audition in-home. Another one I'd like to recommend is SVS http://www.svsound.com/
swallan and Transmaniacon like this.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #6 of 11 Old Today, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Might check these out http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/produc...udspeaker-pair

If you're going to use that Bose some-but-not-much "bass" module, I'd rethink that....

edit: just saw the Klipsch listed (d'oh)....but I'd still think about a better sub with your new speakers....altho yours is much better than the Bose module...

Last edited by lovinthehd; Today at 08:34 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old Today, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 305
zevonrocks: Those Bose speakers have served you for 20 plus years, and if you enjoyed them, then that is all that matters. But now that you are seeking to enter another stage in audio, there are countless speakers available (far too many, actually -- it gets very confusing). I'm presently auditioning the EMP Tek E5Bi's that were mentioned. I haven't finished my audition, but I can say you will need a subwoofer for these speakers, so it is fortunate that you own a pretty good one.

BIC has been around for a very long time. They are still around because they offer value, and that is decent subwoofers and speakers at budget prices, so it will be difficult to match those prices with something significantly better. But there are other brands (as has been mentioned) that are a step up or two and offer very good values. The problem I see is that you have been attuned to the Bose sound for so long, that you will be in for a bit of a lumpy ride at first. It takes some adjustment time to appreciate what finer speakers can offer you.

Bookshelf speakers should be renamed to stand speakers. For best performance they require a speaker stand. So do audition several different types of bookshelf speakers and floor-standing speakers. As has been mentioned, internet direct companies offer you a trial period (and usually free shipping to your home, but the return shipping is often on you).

Enjoy your adventure!
swallan likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old Today, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I would instead look at a better set of bookshelves, and forego a center for right now. It seems to me like music is your main priority, and a decent pair of bookshelves will do a good job creating a phantom center effect for the occasional movie. Later if you want to add a center, go right ahead, but I think you can maximize your value by focusing on your main sound needs.

I would take a look at the EMP E5Bi, you can get them for $225 shipped, leaving some extra cash for a set of speaker stands. They have a great neutral sound, with relaxed highs, and a strong mid-range. They look very sharp and would definitely pass the WAF test, I would take a look at them. Here are a couple good reviews:

http://www.andrew-robinson-online.co...f-loudspeaker/
http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek...aker-reviewed/

Also I ran my EMPs without a center for about a year, and they do a very good job with imaging. When I finally added the center, the difference was not as noticeable as I expected it to be; the phantom center effect from these speakers is very good.

Another vote for the EMP E5bi's. I am a bit picky with my speakers having Magnepan 1.7's for my main system but I took a chance and ordered the EMP's for my master bedroom system and they are absolutely amazing for $225. They would be a deal at $500 a pair and are better than the Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelf speakers. I have an upstairs system with 3 Pioneer Elite in walls for the fronts that are $900 each and the EMP are very similar, and in some ways better, than these Elites.
post #9 of 11 Old Today, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 156
As we have discussed in the EMPtek speaker thread, one of the strengths of the EMP speakers (talking only about the Impression line) is that they don't try to be what they cannot be. They don't hit real low, so you need a subwoofer and they don't try to extend the range of the woofer below what it can play well. The E5Bi will play clean below 80 hz, but not much or any below 60hz. Some other speakers are crossed to try to play below 60 or even 50 and sound terrible at those frequencies. Anyway, with a subwoofer, you won't need anything below 80. The EMP speaker line is designed to be integrated with a decent sub!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #10 of 11 Old Today, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You folks are always so helpful. I do appreciate your feedback.
post #11 of 11 Old Today, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I really love bookshelf speakers - when searching for new speakers I had the option of getting a wide range of speakers, some costing quite a lot, and I still chose (large) bookshelfs. There is something about the imaging and detail of a great bookshelf speaker when listening to music. And when you have bass management removing the low bass and sending it to a sub, they get even better.

But I agree with dsrussell, bookshelf speakers don't sound good when they are placed on ... a shelf. They sound much better on stands. The one exception is those that are designed to be wall mounted. And with the cost of stands, bookshelf speakers don't cost much less than small tower speakers. Since it sounds like you are willing to wall mount I will recommend a couple favorites that are designed to be wall mounted:

NHT SuperOne 2.1 - $255 / pr on sale now 15% off

Polk Audio RTi6 BLACK Bookshelf Speakers [NEW/PAIR] - $212 free ship

Polk Audio RTi6 BLACK Bookshelf Speakers [NEW/PAIR] - $212 free ship

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page