Bookshelf Speaker Stand Material. Why not Granite? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bookshelf Speaker Stand Material. Why not Granite?

Hello Friends,

I know this is a very widely discussed topic here and on other forums but I haven't really found anything that satisfies my inquisitive mind. Most of the stands are being made out of wood or metal. I've even seen a combination of more than one material.

My question however is, why not speaker stands made out of granite? And I am not talking about just a granite base or top plate. I am talking full granite. The base, the pillar, and the top plate also.

I have marble flooring. Do I still need spikes under the stands? What are the alternatives? Are granite feet acceptable?

Thanks in advance

Mods - Its my first post here. Please excuse if I put it in the wrong forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by denon2313 View Post
Hello Friends,

I know this is a very widely discussed topic here and on other forums but I haven't really found anything that satisfies my inquisitive mind. Most of the stands are being made out of wood or metal. I've even seen a combination of more than one material.

My question however is, why not speaker stands made out of granite? And I am not talking about just a granite base or top plate. I am talking full granite. The base, the pillar, and the top plate also.

I have marble flooring. Do I still need spikes under the stands? What are the alternatives? Are granite feet acceptable?

Thanks in advance

Price. A decent set of steel stands is around $150, so you are probably looking at several hundred for solid granite. Not to mention the cost to ship them would be very high. Most stands are hollow so you can add your own weighted material.

Spikes are mainly for carpet, so the speaker stand is sitting on the sub-floor and thus more stable. I would probably go with some kind of rubber foot between a granite stand and marble floor, since both surfaces are slick and there could be sliding.

Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 08-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Spikes are fine too - increasing the mass load coupling to the floor.

You only need the stand to weigh somewhat more (greater mass) than the speaker itself to solidify the connection and not have the speaker vibration transfer to the stand.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Spikes are mainly for carpet, so the speaker stand is sitting on the sub-floor and thus more stable. I would probably go with some kind of rubber foot between a granite stand and marble floor, since both surfaces are slick and there could be sliding.
+1. If your speaker wants to move about when placed on carpet then spikes will give a better grip. On marble they wouldn't grip as well as rubber feet or a rubber mat. As for the oft-claimed difference in sound with spikes, there is none, so don't be concerned with that. For that matter the material a stand is made of doesn't affect the sound either, though granite would be less likely to get knocked over by an errant kid, dog or vacuum cleaner.
zieglj01 likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Contact RBH Sound, and find out who made their granite speaker stands

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 08-30-2014, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

I recently undertook a test DIY project to make myself a pair of granite stands. For what they cost me, they came out pretty decent in my opinion and the sound from the speakers is good too. They need a little more work. Gonna cut the top slab shorter than the speaker dimensions so they don't show. Here's a picture.

I was wondering why no one talks of making stands out of just granite or marble.

So is it just the price? Any other reasons why Granite is good or bad for speaker stands?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	236593  
Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2227
Quote:
I was wondering why no one talks of making stands out of just granite or marble.
Probably because so few of us are stone masons.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So is it just the price? Any other reasons why Granite is good or bad for speaker stands?
Uh, how much do those monsters weigh?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I believe those little bookshelf speakers weigh 53 lbs ea. and the stands are 67 lbs ea.

Mark

Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11427 View Post
I believe those little bookshelf speakers weigh 53 lbs ea. and the stands are 67 lbs ea.
The speaker is Polk TSx220B. Weighs about 13.6 pounds, and the stand is about 46.4 pounds.

Keeping the weight in mind, I got them made so they can be dismantled into 3 pieces. The base, the pillar and the top come off. Also, as this was a test, if one of these 3 things went wrong, I replace only that bit and not the whole stand.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, that was in response to charmerci's question. I assumed that was about the weight of the Status Acoustics Voce Fina Reference granite bookshelf speaker and granite stand.

Mark

Old 08-30-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Im a stone guy, time involved doing something like that in my shop cost you bout $400-500 for the pair, and to be fair id break even at that. The price of the stone is trivial compared to the time involved cutting and polishing.Wood is forgiving, stone is not.

If your granite stand hits the floor, your marble floor and stands will be worse for the wear. Wood stand ehh, stand it back up and move on.

I love stone, but for me I wouldn't be bothered for something like that in my house. If you really like the stone look, make them out of wood and have them formica'd. Seriously, formica has really done a great job simulating stone with photo imaging. Ive torn out kitchen tops at first glance i thought were real, and im in the biz since '92.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Contact RBH Sound, and find out who made their granite speaker stands

Kind of cool...but at the same time looks like you'd see if some Middle Eastern palace.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11427 View Post
Sorry, that was in response to charmerci's question. I assumed that was about the weight of the Status Acoustics Voce Fina Reference granite bookshelf speaker and granite stand.
Yeah a bit confusing at first but still they're all heavy!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Hello Friends,

Thanks in advance

They don't make good speaker stands anymore. Also, shipping will be a killer

I've made my speaker stand out of concrete blocks, it made a huge difference in sound quality.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
I recently undertook a test DIY project to make myself a pair of granite stands. For what they cost me, they came out pretty decent in my opinion and the sound from the speakers is good too. They need a little more work. Gonna cut the top slab shorter than the speaker dimensions so they don't show. Here's a picture.

Very nice! Good job!

avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

How to Create a Dolby Atmos Demo Disc (post #15199)

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I dunno if I'd go the granite route for the look, but the solidity and density of granite cabinets combined with an excellent damping material, well that might make for a pretty good speaker...

Mark