Blown Speakers and Recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blown Speakers and Recommendations

Hello everyone, up until about a year or so ago I had a full Mirage Nanosat 5.1 surround system until I blew my center channel when I got my new Yamaha rxv673 receiver. I thought the receiver was bad and exchanged for a new one and got myself a polk center channel. Soon after, another one of my Nanosat speakers had blown its tweeter. I was able to repair it and everything was good. A couple days ago I rearranged my living room and decide to test the new arrangements and turned the volume up to about -5db and a different one my Nanosats is blown. I normally don't turn the volume up that loud but it wasn't anywhere near max volume and I didn't notice any clipping or anything. I've had these speakers for quite a few years but for 3 of them to go bad within about a year of each other has me wondering if maybe its the receiver? Or could it just be the age of the speakers? The receiver is rated 90watts per channel and the speakers are 100w so I don't think that's the issue. I was thinking of buying another Nanosat to replace the blown speaker but if it is a speaker problem, maybe I should just replace the set? Any recommendations on this would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-31-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Do you have Multi meter? Check to see if you have any DC voltage going out the speaker terminals on your Receiver . Check it while turning up the volume.

Athanasios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love this CRT addiction !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-31-2014, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post
Do you have Multi meter? Check to see if you have any DC voltage going out the speaker terminals on your Receiver . Check it while turning up the volume.

Athanasios
Thanks for the reply. I did not see it until now. I do have a multimeter and have been using it to test the ohms of the (blown) speakers. What exactly would I be checking for when measuring the voltage?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-31-2014, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

So I looked up what you were telling me to do and it seems you were having me check the DC offset. I unhooked the speakers turned the unit to minimum volume and I tested with the 200mv setting across each speaker terminal. The most I got was 12.5 on the front right speaker terminal . I turned the volume up and got some fluctuation but it stayed about the same. Anything else I can test to make sure the problem is not my receiver? I'm thinking of just replacing the remaining speakers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page