Moved into a new house, living room is open plan. Looking for advice on placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2014, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moved into a new house, living room is open plan. Looking for advice on placement

i just moved into a new house recently, the downstairs is basically one room; it is a large living room, with a kitchen/breakfast area behind it, connected to a dinning room and stairway

I have uploaded a crude sketch of my down stairs. I'm not sure how best to position my 7.2 sound system and where to wall mount my plasma. The circles are windows, the triangles are my speakers, the green icon around my living room is my couch.

The previous owner wall mounted his TV where i put the red 'X', he left in his wall mount holes, and sockets with HDMI, 110v etc where the wall mount was.. weird thing is he mounted it to the left of the wall not in the center, im slightly OCD and want things to be symmetrical but im not sure of his motives. He had bookcases and lots of furniture so maybe that's why, or maybe that's where the studs are located.
When i moved in i set up my TV (its not wall mounted yet), and sound system as per the picture, the blue 'X' is where my TV currently sits.. in between the TV and each of the front two speakers i have my subs. I originally set it up this way as i thought i was going to mount my wides up on the walls to the left and right of the couch.. but ive been told its better to use these as high's in such a big room above the front right and left channels.. im not sure.

Should i set it up the way the previous owner had it, with the open space to my right hand side? so my front speakers, subs, highs are all facing the back windows?

or should i set it up where i currently have it so my front speakers, subs etc.. are all facing into the open area behind my living room?

I'm still undecided what i should do with the extra 2 speakers i have in my 7.2 setup, i just got them and i am not sure if its best to mount them as front highs or wides?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	House Plan.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	239633  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I think the wall you've chosen is better as you currently have it, the other wall is too narrow and having the windows behind you is not ideal for any type of TV or projector.

You could go with a standard 7.1 setup with surrounds to the sides and back surrounds behind you if you are willing to ceiling mount the back surround speakers as shown in your diagram (as long as there is somewhere to mount the left surround between windows or above windows).

Or you could go with the front height speakers if you prefer them, but either way follow the recommended placement for the front height and the surround speakers (between 90 degrees directly to the sides and 110 degrees slightly behind primary listening position)

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Old 09-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Can you give us the narrow dimension of the room from the Utility room to the far wall.

The drawing says the Side near the Utility room is 49 feet, is that the entire building or just the Living Room? The Living room appears to the 35 feet long (live/kitchen). But we really need the other dimension specifically for the Living Room.

Generally rooms are long and narrow. In this case it is best to place the system on the narrow wall playing into the long spaces. In your case though, the room dimensions aren't clear, at least not to me. If I assume 49 ft is the entire space and we subtract 10ft for the Utility Room, that still makes the width of the Living area, 39 feet, unless that 49 ft includes the garage.

Again, give us the specific dimension of the Living/Kitchen area.

Also what are your speakers? Bookshelf? Floorstanding/Towers? Small Lifestyle Satellite speakers? Some combination? What they are will determine how they can be laid out.

I'm guess, without specifically knowing what speakers you have, that either combination would work. Myself, I would choose a setup that put my back to the kitchen. When, where, and how the speakers could be placed would depend on what the speakers are.

Before I could make any decision, I would have to know the specific dimension of the Kitchen/Living space, and how much of that is the kitchen? Then what speakers you have or what speakers you intend to have?

For that it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard
Old 09-01-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Can you give us the narrow dimension of the room from the Utility room to the far wall.

The drawing says the Side near the Utility room is 49 feet, is that the entire building or just the Living Room? The Living room appears to the 35 feet long (live/kitchen). But we really need the other dimension specifically for the Living Room.

Generally rooms are long and narrow. In this case it is best to place the system on the narrow wall playing into the long spaces. In your case though, the room dimensions aren't clear, at least not to me. If I assume 49 ft is the entire space and we subtract 10ft for the Utility Room, that still makes the width of the Living area, 39 feet, unless that 49 ft includes the garage.

Again, give us the specific dimension of the Living/Kitchen area.

Also what are your speakers? Bookshelf? Floorstanding/Towers? Small Lifestyle Satellite speakers? Some combination? What they are will determine how they can be laid out.

I'm guess, without specifically knowing what speakers you have, that either combination would work. Myself, I would choose a setup that put my back to the kitchen. When, where, and how the speakers could be placed would depend on what the speakers are.

Before I could make any decision, I would have to know the specific dimension of the Kitchen/Living space, and how much of that is the kitchen? Then what speakers you have or what speakers you intend to have?

For that it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard
+1

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live