Is it really bad to get a portable one-piece speaker? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-02-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is it really bad to get a portable one-piece speaker?

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to get a nice sound system for my dorm room (It's a studio room with a small kitchen and 24sq feet, so it's not big but also not tiny).

I think this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-KMC-...Speaker+System looks pretty nice, but it seems like everyone suggests setting up multiple speakers with a subwoofer and a receiver. Is the difference in sound truly that amazizng? Should I try and set up one of those? I have a pair of he-400 and ultrasone-900 headphones so I have a good source for hi-fi, but I also want to be able to blast some music while I clean, move around, watch a movie or have some guests over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-03-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 499
If all you want is some "out loud" audio on occasion, there's nothing wrong with a one-piece speaker.

But if you're looking for more / louder / better sound, IMO you should consider something like:
- a large bookshelf speaker, such as a gently-used Paradigm 7se, or 5se MKII (the larger woofer will give you a decent amount of bass even without a sub),
- hooked up to either a new(er) entry-level receiver or a gently-used one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-03-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Since you have HE-400s (nice phones! I have them ) and Ultrasones, I'd think you would be disappointed in what you get for bluetooth speakers.

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s are on sale on Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wharfedale-D...dp/B002WJAQY2/ Excellent speakers for the money.

Then you need an amp. Use the rest of your budget to get a used receiver.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #4 of 5 Old 09-04-2014, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The speakers shown here are extremely tempting... And it's led me to do a bunch of speaker research.
However, I live in a college dorm and the noise travels easily to other rooms. I'm going to drive people insane with a fully featured speaker setup.
Also, the structure of my room has a wall dividing the kitchen and desk, which would mess up the sound when I'm on my kitchen(while I can just move the portable speakers around).

So I think I will go for portability and ease of use on my speakers. at the sacrifice of sound quality. I still have my hi-fi headphones for my alone sound time. I really crave that amazing sound speakers make when the sound bounces around the room but it will have to wait until I live in a place where people won't knock on my door complaining every night.

But thanks for the suggestions! I may still make a theoretical setup to learn more about speakers, as I'm pretty knowledgeable about headphones but know very little about these setups!
post #5 of 5 Old 09-04-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Well, you won't drive people insane unless you turn it up. At moderate listening volumes, the bluetooth speakers will not sound as good.

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page