1Likes
  • 1 Post By shadyJ

post #1 of 6 Old 09-07-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Help Building First System

Im looking for a recommendation on the components you would currently purchase to build a 5.1 system for under $2000

I will be connecting a record player if that matters. What A/V Receiver should I get? It seems the Onkyo are popular but Ive read about the HDMI failures. Any advice and sample build would be really helpful.

The room im in is a livingroom/kitchen that is 17.5'x16'... the living room portion alone is 9.5'x16'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-07-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
For playing records , your need a receiver with a phono input . Or you'll have to buy a separate phono preamp and go ... Record player > Phono preamp > receiver.

My new Marantz AVR did not come with a phono input for example , kind of a bummer on a $900 receiver .

You're looking at $2,000 for an AVR , all 5 channels , and a sub?
post #3 of 6 Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 516
I can't recommend Onkyos anymore in good faith. Just too many problems. I would go with Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, or Marantz. Right now the Yamaha 675s are being cleared out for $400 each on amazon that is a very good price for a receiver with those specs and feature set. As for speakers and subs, might think about an Infinity Primus set, which is going for a good deal also at Amazon. Get some p363s for the front left/right, a c351 center, and a pair of p163s for surrounds, that will set you back about $700. For a subwoofer, I would go for a Hsu VTF3 mk4, or SVS PB2000, or Reaction PV 15X if you can handle a lead time. If you want to splurge a little bit and can handle a monster sub, check out a Hsu VTF15h. If you want a simpler speaker/sub package to deal with, go for a Hsu Hybrid 2 or Hybrid 3 5.1 package, good speakers and killer subs. A speaker system from Ascend would also be very good.

If you need a speaker mount for the surrounds, these videosecu side-clamping mounts are by far the best budget speaker mounts available. For speaker wire, I would get a roll of 14 AWG wire from Home Depot. Get your HDMI cable from monoprice.
Jeffrey Moskovic likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-07-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

One more thing, I would not try to get a receiver with a phono preamp built in, you will pay a lot for a single feature that way. Get a phono pre-amp separately. The new Behringer phono preamps are very affordable, check out the Microphono PP400.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was just offered the following equipment from my buddys old system that he is getting rid of, was wondering if you guys thought any of the gear was worth taking for my new system...

2x KEF SP3254 Speakers
1x KEF SP3191 Speaker
1x REL Q201E 10" Subwoofer
1x Rotel RSX-792 (no HDMI)
1x Pro-Ject P1.2

I'm hoping the speakers and sub will be good so that I can focus my money on surround speakers and a new A/V receiver. What do you guys think?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe the KEF speakers would be bad, but I haven't heard those models. All the KEF speakers I have heard have all been quite good. The sub is a joke though, skip the REL. The Rotel might be usable as a dedicated amplifier, but obviously you can not use it as a processor. The advantage of using it as an amplifier alone is it takes heat off of the AVR you would use as processor, which will prolong the AVR's life and reliability. I don't know about the turntable, but if I were to buy a used turntable, I would at least buy a new cartridge. Anyway, you will want to spring for a different subwoofer from that setup.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page