• 1 Post By Transmaniacon

post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2014, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please educate me on Speakers

Hi all,

So I have purchased my first house and would like to wire it with ceiling speakers.

The idea is to have a receiver (Pioneer VSX-1023-K 7.1) be hooked up to zone 2 (the receiver allows for a 5.1 setup with a second zone) a monoprice speaker selector (8-Channel Speaker Selector Product Number: 8230), running 5 zones (Kitchen, master bedroom, bathroom, Living room, and backyard).

Thinking of getting monoprice 4103 for indoor and 6971 for outdoor, not sure what to do in the bathroom/shower mayber these 8554 ?

Not looking for anything to fancy, most of the time these will be blasting internet radio.

This is where I start to get confused. They all list a rating (i.e 4103 lists 60w) is that for the pair or for one ? does it matter ? Finally the idea is to have the speakers throughout the house (first floor,second, backyard) and have the receiver in the basement. Would this be ok for speaker wire runs ? (the house is aprox 2000sq/ft)

Look forward to hearing any and all opinions, ideas, explanations.

Thanks.

Last edited by megaxyu; 09-12-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-12-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Bump. Anyone ?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-12-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Those speakers should work fine for your needs, don't worry about the power handling. You will need to be careful however running so many speakers off a single channel, it would be okay if you planned to have one set of speakers working at a time, but as you add more simultaneously playing, you change the impedance. This is a good read about impedance changes: http://cie-wc.edu/Series_Parallel_9_14.pdf You need to be careful not to exceed the capabilities of your receiver. What I would recommend is getting a multi-zone amplifier, which is designed for this very purpose, or perhaps you could get a basic receiver that has an all-channel stereo mode which would play the same content on each channel. You could probably be fine with two sets of speakers playing at a time, but note your output will be reduced when doing so.
megaxyu likes this.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #4 of 7 Old 09-12-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

The long term plan is to hook up an arduino controller to the speaker selector, and prevent the ability to play multiple zones at the same time, I don't see any reason why I would need or want to blast the speakers both downstairs in the kitchen and in the bedroom.

Also as far as the setup... Each channel on the selector has a left and a right, does that mean that I would have to have a minimum of two speakers per zone ? will this be stereo ? would ceiling speakers work well in stereo considering one might be directly under one while having one at some distance ?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-12-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaxyu View Post
Thanks for the reply!

The long term plan is to hook up an arduino controller to the speaker selector, and prevent the ability to play multiple zones at the same time, I don't see any reason why I would need or want to blast the speakers both downstairs in the kitchen and in the bedroom.

Also as far as the setup... Each channel on the selector has a left and a right, does that mean that I would have to have a minimum of two speakers per zone ? will this be stereo ? would ceiling speakers work well in stereo considering one might be directly under one while having one at some distance ?
Ideally you would have a pair in each space, so you get stereo sound for music. In-ceiling speakers are okay for background music, and in some cases surround channels when you have no other option, but I wouldn't use them for critical listening. They should do a fine job adding music for a party or around the house, but I wouldn't want to sit down and listen to music on ceiling speakers. If you want to sit in a room and have music playing and really enjoy it, I would buy some actual cabinet speakers, and keep the in-ceilings for the kitchen/bathroom/outside.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-12-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again,

Final question... If I want volume control on the walls, does it matter that the speakers are hooked up to a speaker selector ? From my understanding a volume knob is just a rheostat that varies resistance on the return of the speaker. So I would just wire in the volume knob between the speaker selector and speaker on the return wire. Is this correct ?
post #7 of 7 Old 09-12-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaxyu View Post
Thanks again,

Final question... If I want volume control on the walls, does it matter that the speakers are hooked up to a speaker selector ? From my understanding a volume knob is just a rheostat that varies resistance on the return of the speaker. So I would just wire in the volume knob between the speaker selector and speaker on the return wire. Is this correct ?
Someone else will have to answer this.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page