• 2 Post By shadyJ
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By ClarkeBar

post #1 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Need help picking 3.1-5.1 speakers for $1,500 PLEASE HELP!!!

I am new to this site.. We just purchased a home theater setup with a Sony VPL-HW55ES projector with a 100" Elite Lunette fixed screen and an Onkyo TNX-NR636 receiver with the needed Atmos firmware update.

I would prefer tower speakers with a good sub and center. I am also installing (2) surround speakers in the ceiling that will hopefully work with the Atmos. I can add 2 other surround speakers later to complete a 7.1 system.

I'm very new to this and want a good quality system that sounds great for my small budget. PLEASE HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE..

I'm looking at the Golden Ear Triton 7 with a seperate sub vs the Triton 3 with no extra sub. Any thoughts on this? If I went this route I'd get a center in the future and more surrounds later as well.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Welcome to the Forum!!!! Hope you like it here.

First off, I would say think long term and not how much can I get right now. Depends on what level of quality you would like to maintain through the system as you add to it over time.

If you want quality without spending a real fortune on fancy furniture grade wood, then NHT is but one recommendation I would offer to start. Here is the link to the Absolute Tower & Sub package:

http://www.nhthifi.com/Home-Theater-...&category=3830

I know this takes your budget to the limit and you would still need the matching CC for $330. But you would have a truly remarkable start to a great system. You could run 2.1 with a phantom Center Mode if you couldn't get the CC right away and still have excellent HT and Music.

More generally, I guess what I am advising is no matter what you go for, get a level of quality to start with that you will not be burning to upgrade because of obvious limitations. That kind of long lasting satisfaction will save you a good deal of money over time, I pinky promise.
nick510 likes this.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
post #4 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry I missed your second post before replying. I can see you are already thinking properly about things.

The Triton Sevens are simply remarkable. All of the towers in that series are superb. My only concern, and it is not a very big one knowing Sandy Gross' penchant for technical wizardry, is that the surround speakers and CCs do not seem to match the towers performance-wise as much as I would like. I think this has been mentioned in several reviews through the years. If any system would seem to be more in balance using all GoldenEar for surround the Seven seems to make the most sense, unless your HT will be very large.
nick510 likes this.

post #5 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the response!!! Those speakers look very nice and come with a sub, WOW!

I definitely want a quality system with a decent price and this one looks like its up there. I am installing (2) rear/surround speakers in the ceiling above so even if I don't get the center I'll have a 4.1 system, then if I add the 2 surrounds to the sides I'll have a full 7.1.

The last thing I want to do is regret not getting the right system now or buying a cheap 5.1 and having to replace it in a year.

Have you seen the Golden Ear Triton 2 or 3 with sub?

Thank you again for your advice, truly appreciated!!
post #6 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Right now Amazong has good prices for the infinity Primus speakers, which are very highly regarded budget speakers. You might look at a pair of p363s for the front left/right, a c351 for the center, and some p163s for surrounds. That comes out to $700, with the rest of the budget, I would look at a Hsu VTF3 subwoofer or SVS PB2000. There is a nice system for under 1500 shipped.

If you want to keep things slightly more simple, look at a 5.1 Hsu Hybrid 2 package or 3.1 Hybrid 3 package. Nice punchy speakers and terrific subs.

An Ascend package would also be good, with some CBM-170 left/rights, a CMT 340 center, HTM-200 surrounds, and a Rythmik LV12 subwoofer.

If you want powerful bass, here is a 3.1 $1.5k setup for you: use Primus p163s for the front left/right speakers, a c351 center, and two Rythmik LV12 subs. If you want to scare people, use a Hsu VTF15h or Reaction PV 15X subwoofer.

For bookshelf speaker mounts, by far the best inexpensive ones are the videosecu side-clamping mounts. Get your HDMI cable at monoprice.com. For speaker wire, just get a roll of 14 AWG speaker cable at Home Depot, trust me, it will sound the same as expensive Monster cable.
nick510 likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Forget tower speakers with built-in subs. They are no match at all for separate subs, and I doubt very much that the Tritons are an exception. As for the Triton Sevens, I haven't heard Golden Ear, but I am sure they would be nice, however I would not spend big on towers at the expense of good subwoofers. A bookshelf speaker + good sub system will always sound much better than a tower speaker + mediocre sub setup. Let the subs take care of bass, don't rely on your front stage speakers for that. It is a more cost effective route to better performance.
lovinthehd and nick510 like this.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
This is a real good deal here - Boston RS334 towers - new in the box and sold each
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ack-new/1.html

The center channel
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html

They will not be around long - and this gives you good room for your subwoofer
nick510 likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Nick,

It's funny, but while replying to your posts, I'm sitting here in a comfy chair enjoying my main system, listening to the Atb/Trilogy CD through main speakers bought in 2002 --- Wharfedale Emerald 97s, my first foray into taller & slender vs. the previous shorter & wider of the 80s and 90s. Liked them so much I bought a second pair and ran a four tower system for a good while. In reality, they are neither expensive nor the cat's meow. At the time of purchase, MSRP was around $1800 for a pair, but I managed to buy them at ridiculous closeout pricing. I'm almost embarassed to post how little they cost me ... compared to the many years of pleasure and revealing surprises they still continue to offer up with the aid of better quality electronics and room EQ like Audyssey. When you get 'it' right, sometimes 'it' can last a long time.

I can't help but think about how this hobby of ours requires a good bit of thought, perhaps a useful measure of technical curiosity, and more than a fair share of Good Luck, as we meander through our various rolls of the dice. I can say with some assurance, if you follow virtually any of the advice given here by willing members (and there's likely to be a lot), you will not go wrong if you seek the better quality and think long term. The rest, as always, is up to your ears and tastes. While there may be hard and fast rules given, in the end personal experience is still the absolute best teacher.

Good luck in your choices.
nick510 likes this.

Last edited by ClarkeBar; 09-09-2014 at 01:03 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Forget tower speakers with built-in subs. They are no match at all for separate subs, and I doubt very much that the Tritons are an exception. As for the Triton Sevens, I haven't heard Golden Ear, but I am sure they would be nice, however I would not spend big on towers at the expense of good subwoofers. A bookshelf speaker + good sub system will always sound much better than a tower speaker + mediocre sub setup. Let the subs take care of bass, don't rely on your front stage speakers for that. It is a more cost effective route to better performance.

Thank you for your advice, I personally like the tower speakers better. My entertainment center is only 5' wide so even if I got bookshelf speakers I would still need a stand for them. I will stay away from the Golden Ear and look into decent towers with a good sub. For the right set I will pay a little more. Thanks again!!
post #11 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
This is a real good deal here - Boston RS334 towers - new in the box and sold each

The center channel

They will not be around long - and this gives you good room for your subwoofer

Thank you for this info, I checked it out and they look good. There is also the Boston M340 on there as well as some KEF Q700 & Q900's. Any opinion on those? At such a good deal it may be worth it to upgrade...
post #12 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick510 View Post
Thank you for your advice, I personally like the tower speakers better. My entertainment center is only 5' wide so even if I got bookshelf speakers I would still need a stand for them. I will stay away from the Golden Ear and look into decent towers with a good sub. For the right set I will pay a little more. Thanks again!!
Hi Nick, I am not trying to steer you away from Golden Ear specifically, just so you don't get the wrong impression, and I do not believe they are bad speakers. All I am saying is make sure the speakers you get, whether they be towers or bookshelf speakers, do not come at the cost of a good subwoofer or two.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Thank you for this info, I checked it out and they look good. There is also the Boston M340 on there as well as some KEF Q700 & Q900's. Any opinion on those? At such a good deal it may be worth it to upgrade...
The M340 would be my preference - those are some real good prices, and the dimple dome tweeter
is a good one - plus, you will get some nice bass. The M340 has some good build quality.

KEF is still a nice option

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #14 of 19 Old 09-10-2014, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
MB Quart has a fire sale going on now and their floor stander is 75% off here: http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-s1pb-single?pp=24

The AS-B1PB bookshelves can be used for surrounds and they also happen to be on fire sale too.

Don't know how many are left.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #15 of 19 Old 09-10-2014, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I have a pair of Triton 7 along with the Goldenear XL center and AON 3's for rear speakers.

The above is coupled with a medium quality AVR (Marantz NR1604) and plays beautifully both music and movies.

Given your screen set up - while I could go on about Goldenear, there is a sleeper speaker that is definitely worth the look for a movie set up and that would be the Def Tech Studio 65. It is an excellent bang for the buck and works well for your purposes. I consider it a worthy contender.

I went with the Goldenear as I listen to quite a bit of music and it was bit more to my liking (purely subjective). As for the Def Tech Studio 65, I helped a friend set up a small theater room and it rocks with those speakers for movies. He has 6 of them plus a center and sub. My set up is in a living room with a 65" plasma TV so its a nice fit.

Bottom line is you really need to listen to some of the speakers mentioned above as they may have similar specs but ultimately, it comes down to what sounds good to your ears. There are other makes that I liked but the Goldenear for the price and sound was perfect for my needs. If I were to set up a theater room, I think I would rather go with "bookshelf" speakers that can be more easily placed along with the center and sub(s).

------
Goldenear speakers, Marantz NR1604, Oppo 103, TiVo, 2x NAS, experiment play HTPC with XBMC
Media - DVD, Blue Ray, archived movies, 96/24 Flac, CD quality digital files in both AAC and FLAC, MOV educational files, more

Last edited by Phrehdd; 09-10-2014 at 01:05 PM.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-10-2014, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
MB Quart has a fire sale going on now and their floor stander is 75% off here: http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-s1pb-single?pp=24

The AS-B1PB bookshelves can be used for surrounds and they also happen to be on fire sale too.

Don't know how many are left.
I can't find any reviews on this speaker, are they any good?
post #17 of 19 Old 09-10-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

I went into BB and listened to a few different speakers. I heard the B & W 684 S2's ($575) and also the B & W CM9's ($1,400) in store. But I found the CM9's online used from someone in great condition for $1,500 for the pair. That would give me $500 for a center and $500-600 for a sub.

I can't seem to find any other stores to check out in my area so I'm basing this off of the few I've auditioned at Best Buy. If the $1,500 CM9's deal fall through is there a better alternative to the B & W 684 S2's? I of course want a good looking speaker but more importantly a great sounding speaker.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
I can't find any reviews on this speaker, are they any good?
Hi nick510,

Apologies for not posting this link in earlier: MB Quart Clearance Vera Speakers

Feedback from users are in another forum here: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...pressions.html

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #19 of 19 Old 09-11-2014, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post
there is a sleeper speaker that is definitely worth the look for a movie set up and that would be the Def Tech Studio 65. It is an excellent bang for the buck and works well for your purposes. I consider it a worthy contender.
Quote:
UPDATE:

I went into BB and listened to a few different speakers.
Nick - BB has the DefTech SM65s listed above. Give those a listen and if you like them you can pick them up from DefTech's 'unoffical' refurb seller on eBay - bajawaverunner. Myself and lots of folks on here have bought from that site with no issues what so ever - mostly overstock or customer returns. You'll save about 40-50% off retail.

Then, check the 'Subwoofer' forum for more info on what sub(s) to get.

Reply Speakers

Tags
2.1 speaker set , 5.1 speaker set , Home Theater , Speaker Systems , speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page