Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2014, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought on purchase - Marantz 5009 and Monitor Audio Silver 6

Hi guys,

I bought a Yammy last year and returned it because I mostly wanted HDMI 2.0 for a little bit of future proofing.... Anyways the Marantz caught my eye so I might give up on Yamaha which I've always been a fan of...

I'm about to purchase a Marantz 5009 to pair it up with Monitor Audio Silver 6 Towers and Centre and silver sub. Back area is high traffic area and I'm thinking of going with their MA CT265-FX (another about to purchase)

It's a trimless in ceiling speaker with two tweeters that are angled to project sound towards you instead of down. My room size is open to my dining area. Which is why I can't place the rears behind the seating area, because the dining area is there... I'm about 16 wide and and 25 Feet Long.

What do you guys think of this setup?
Think the Marantz will pair nicely with MA's?
Are the ceiling speakers okay for rears?
Polished Black or Polished White MA's? Floor is a new Dark Grey Charcoal so both would look smooth....

Thanks a bunch for any input... It will definitely sway me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by srehou View Post
Hi guys,

I bought a Yammy last year and returned it because I mostly wanted HDMI 2.0 for a little bit of future proofing.... Anyways the Marantz caught my eye so I might give up on Yamaha which I've always been a fan of...

I'm about to purchase a Marantz 5009 to pair it up with Monitor Audio Silver 6 Towers and Centre and silver sub. Back area is high traffic area and I'm thinking of going with their MA CT265-FX (another about to purchase)

It's a trimless in ceiling speaker with two tweeters that are angled to project sound towards you instead of down. My room size is open to my dining area. Which is why I can't place the rears behind the seating area, because the dining area is there... I'm about 16 wide and and 25 Feet Long.

What do you guys think of this setup?
Think the Marantz will pair nicely with MA's?
Are the ceiling speakers okay for rears?
Polished Black or Polished White MA's? Floor is a new Dark Grey Charcoal so both would look smooth....

Thanks a bunch for any input... It will definitely sway me...

Those Silver 6 towers are excellent speakers, and the Marantz will no doubt be a sonic improvement over any Yamaha AVR.

It sounds like you have thought it out well, except that those are dipole speakers, which I would advise against.

I suggest the MA Bronze CP IC speakers instead; dipole speakers are tricky to place, and once you cut a hole you have rather limited your options...lol.

Ceiling speakers have their limitations; just don't plan on getting real high volume from them.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Those are some good choices, however I would recommend a different sub. Internet direct brands offer much more value when it comes to subs, and you can get something nicer for $1600... I would probably recommend a pair of subs, you have a good size room and dual subs will create a more even bass response throughout. I would consider a pair of SVS SB-2000 (to keep it compact like the MA sub), these are very good subs and the pair would sound excellent. They recently added a very nice piano black option and I think it would definitely be worth getting.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2014, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
Those Silver 6 towers are excellent speakers, and the Marantz will no doubt be a sonic improvement over any Yamaha AVR.

It sounds like you have thought it out well, except that those are dipole speakers, which I would advise against.

I suggest the MA Bronze CP IC speakers instead; dipole speakers are tricky to place, and once you cut a hole you have rather limited your options...lol.

Ceiling speakers have their limitations; just don't plan on getting real high volume from them.
can you go more in detail about the dipole speakers and how it could be tricky. The sales guy was really pushing these.

He said the two tweeters would bounce off walls to fill up the back and that the angle positions them toward me.
He also said the audessy correction will balance them out for me....

thoughts???
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guy still looking for some advice on the ceiling speakers and if anyone owns the Gloss white Monitor Audios Silver 6...

Wondering is the Subwoofer sounds good and can get deep. If anyone has the marantz 5009? The salesguy keeps pushing Pioneer Elite..Saying I'm making a mistake?
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by srehou View Post
Hey guy still looking for some advice on the ceiling speakers and if anyone owns the Gloss white Monitor Audios Silver 6...

Wondering is the Subwoofer sounds good and can get deep. If anyone has the marantz 5009? The salesguy keeps pushing Pioneer Elite..Saying I'm making a mistake?
The Marantz is plenty for you. Pioneer Elite has nice amp sections, but I think for you the added cost would be better spent on a nicer sub. Don't get the Monitor Audio sub, you can do much better buying from an internet direct company as I outlined in my last post.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page