Need help with components for new addition - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help with components for new addition

We just finished the framing on a new living room addition and I would appreciate some input on the audio system.

The room is 22x24 with 11 foot ceilings. TV will be on the center of a 22' wall. I'm looking for a decent 5.1 system that will be used for about 90% TV/movie watching and maybe 10% music.

Right now the plan is to have the center and front speakers bookshelf type, and the surrounds will be ceiling mounted about 15' away from the TV wall.

I'd like to stay in the $1500 range, and would be willing to hold off on a sub for now if it doesn't fit in the budget. First priority is getting the ceiling speakers picked out since I want to make sure I'm clear on mounting before drywall goes up.

I've got a Denon/Boston Accoustics setup in the basement right now (DHT1513BA) that I have been very happy with. Hopefully that gives you an idea of my tastes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 461
If you like Boston Acoustics, these M25 bookshelves would be a great choice: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ck-each/1.html Use three across the front if you can accomodate a vertical center speaker, if not, this is the matching center: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...speaker/1.html

For a receiver, I would look at the Denon AVR-X2000, it is $399 at Crutchfield and this is a very good price. You also get 7 channels of amplification in case you want to add some speakers elsewhere in the house (kitchen/patio), or uprade to 7.1 in the future.

Boston also makes some in-ceiling speakers: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...er-each/1.html

Since you have a big space, I might recommend saving up for a more capable sub. Something like the Power Sound Audio XV15se would be appropriate and has enough output to work well in that space.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 09-12-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Have you listened to any other speakers other than the Boston's that came with your Denon?

I personally like the Polk RTi-Series (previous generation sold new on ebay from Polk directly) and for you budget you can get a great front 3 set-up, a quality subwoofer from a big name company and have money left over for in ceilings to use as surrounds.

There are other companies that fall within your budget for a front 3 that most would argue are better than the Polk RTi's. There is the Ascend Acoustic speakers, HTD speakers, just to name a couple different brands. Boston M25's suggest above are a great buy if you like the sound of your smaller Bostons
Old 09-12-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks alot for the quick replies.

I have not listened to many other setups. My folks are the only other people I know with a quality system and they also have BA's (all in ceiling type). Sounds like that might be the safest bet for me to go with.

Looks like I could get the setup Transmaniacon mentioned for within my budget if I hold off on a sub.

Denon AVR-X2000: $400
Two BA VSi 560's: $240
Two BA M25's: $340
One BA MCenter: $350

That puts me at $1330 before shipping. Any other recommendations for a sub besides the XV15se that would be closer to my budget? I certainly don't want to regreat buying something underpowered so will hold off if needed.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaud View Post

I have not listened to many other setups. My folks are the only other people I know with a quality system and they also have BA's (all in ceiling type). Sounds like that might be the safest bet for me to go with.

Looks like I could get the setup Transmaniacon mentioned for within my budget if I hold off on a sub.

That puts me at $1330 before shipping. Any other recommendations for a sub besides the XV15se that would be closer to my budget? I certainly don't want to regreat buying something underpowered so will hold off if needed.
I wouldn't go lower than the SVS PB-1000. It is a great sub, but you have a large room which requires a lot of output. If you are coming from a HTIB system though, it will be an enormous change.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:

I would hold off on the surrounds for now - and even look at another M25
to use as the center channel - that can allow you to start with a sub.

Upgrade the surrounds later - The Boston series will be a nice one

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 09-12-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This is another sub option - and they are sold each
Reaction Audio
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/...ered-subwoofer

Also HSU
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

Old 09-12-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I actually have an older set of JBL Northridge speakers (N24's and N-Center i believe) as well that I forgot about. Have them running off a real old receiver right now so its hard to tell if they're decent or not. Think it would be worth using those for the front stage for now and spending my money on just receiver, sub, and surrounds?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I actually have an older set of JBL Northridge speakers (N24's and N-Center i believe) as well that I forgot about. Have them running off a real old receiver right now so its hard to tell if they're decent or not. Think it would be worth using those for the front stage for now and spending my money on just receiver, sub, and surrounds?
The Boston would be a Clear step up, over the JBL Northridge

I would hold off on the surrounds for now

Now to save some money - and my preference if you need to do a horizontal center,
would be to go with the Boston RS244c - it will have the same like tweeter as the
M25 bookshelf - as the BMR tweeter (M350) tends to fall short on the detail side.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html

However, your call

Last edited by zieglj01; 09-12-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I just did some quick searching on here about the JBL's and it seems pretty unanimous that they are not a great setup. Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm leaning towards the BA's for the front setup so now I'll just need to see where I land budget wise for the rest of the addition to see if the sub or surrounds will be doable.

For the Denon AVR-X2000 to work with airplay it looks like I'll need a wired ethernet connection. I can't tell from the X3000 description if it can run wirelessly or not, does anybody know? I don't currently have ethernet in the room so if the X3000 can run Airplay without it that might be worth the extra $200.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just did some quick searching on here about the JBL's and it seems pretty unanimous that they are not a great setup. Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm leaning towards the BA's for the front setup so now I'll just need to see where I land budget wise for the rest of the addition to see if the sub or surrounds will be doable.

For the Denon AVR-X2000 to work with airplay it looks like I'll need a wired ethernet connection. I can't tell from the X3000 description if it can run wirelessly or not, does anybody know? I don't currently have ethernet in the room so if the X3000 can run Airplay without it that might be worth the extra $200.
You would need to go with one of the newer denons to get wifi/bluetooth, like the AVR-S700W.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The x3000 looks to be the same.

You can always by Apple TV for 100 dollars and connect that to the X2000
https://www.apple.com/appletv/airplay/

On sale
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ap...=1218552476525