971Likes

post #1 of 1021 Old 09-12-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1733
Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread

Looks like PSA just released info on their new speaker line.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/blogs...0-loudspeakers

Last edited by basshead81; 09-29-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1021 Old 09-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Aw damn you beat me
basshead81 likes this.
post #3 of 1021 Old 09-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Yes , I need to get in here as well. Can't wait to get mine as you all know I am #1 on the imaginary list.
Cheers Jeff
oneeyeblind and basshead81 like this.

j_nordi
post #4 of 1021 Old 09-12-2014, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was looking at the specs and the MTM-210 looks to be comparable to the JTR Noesis 228HT.
oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #5 of 1021 Old 09-12-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I was looking at the specs and the MTM-210 looks to be comparable to the JTR Noesis 228HT.

Up front it does, but there's a reason for the price difference and the 228 weighing 20lbs more.
Anyone know if what the cabinets of the new PSA speakers are made of? MDF or Baltic birch?

I know that Jeff is first in line for some of these so I look forward to his impressions!

Last edited by jbrown15; 09-13-2014 at 12:41 AM.
post #6 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually wish I had the budget to buy some of these to use in a small upcoming blind GTG that I'm going to host with a few local guys.
post #7 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Subscribed
post #8 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Specs and info quoted from

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/blogs...akers-are-here

Quote:
MT-110 & MT-110c

("c" denotes horizontally oriented cabinet)
  • 2 way, audiophile loudspeaker
  • 1" titanium compression driver
  • Cast aluminum exponential horn
  • 10" high efficiency woofer
  • Audiophile grade crossover completely designed in house
  • Frequency Response = 70Hz - 20kHz
  • Sensitivity = 95dB 1W/1M
  • Size HxWxD = 17.5" x 11" x 14" (includes grill)
  • Weight = 35lbs
  • MSRP = $599

MTM-210 & MTM-210c

("c" denotes horizontally oriented cabinet)
  • 2 way, audiophile loudspeaker
  • 1" titanium compression driver
  • Cast aluminum exponential horn
  • Dual 10" high efficiency woofers
  • Audiophile grade crossover completely designed in house
  • Frequency Response = 70Hz - 20kHz
  • Sensitivity = 98dB 1W/1M
  • Size HxWxD = 28" x 11" x 16" (includes grill)
  • Weight = 55lbs
  • MSRP = $899
Package pricing will be determined soon. Pre-orders will start in approximately two weeks, with shipments expected to begin approximately 30-45 days later. All pre-order sales will be part of our Summer of Bass promotion, and will include free shipping both ways.
basshead81 likes this.

ShaunH
post #9 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Hi all,

I already replied to a few questions in our Sub thread. Please check that and then let me know if I can answer anything else here.

We will have plenty of pictures soon. At the moment the cabinets we have on hand have slight variances to the production design(different grill pins and different binding post cups for example). Combine that with numerous scratches and scuffs from being moved about 100x for listening sessions and measurements outside and these just aren't the first visual we want everyone to see..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #10 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Hi all,

I already replied to a few questions in our Sub thread. Please check that and then let me know if I can answer anything else here.

We will have plenty of pictures soon. At the moment the cabinets we have on hand have slight variances to the production design(different grill pins and different binding post cups for example). Combine that with numerous scratches and scuffs from being moved about 100x for listening sessions and measurements outside and these just aren't the first visual we want everyone to see..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thanks for spending time speaking with us Tom. We know your very busy.
ahblaza likes this.

ShaunH
post #11 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes the possible "2999.00 preorder pricing" for 3 MTM-210 and 2 MTM-110 looks like a very solid deal. I am tempted to make the switch to high efficiency speakers.
ahblaza likes this.
post #12 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Some questions I'm sure are going to be asked soon might as well get them on the first page.

What advantage do high efficiency, large woofer speakers have?

Are these speakers bright, I heard horns are bright or annoying?

What amplification is recommended normal receiver, high end receiver, dedicated amps? How much power (watts) is a good minimum?

Why is the frequency response only 70hz-20khz? Why not aim for a deeper response?

Can I cross these speakers over at 80hz?

Can I run these speakers without a subwoofer?

What PSA sub woofers(s)should I pair these speakers with?

What should I pick for my front three speakers (MT110 vs MT210)?

Will you be offering stands sense these speakers are large and or heavy?

That should get us started and some of the most basic questions out of the way.

ShaunH

Last edited by oneeyeblind; 09-13-2014 at 09:33 AM.
post #13 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I actually wish I had the budget to buy some of these to use in a small upcoming blind GTG that I'm going to host with a few local guys.
Depending on the pricing I might try and audition these against the CX-10's that are getting delivered to my house next week. Stupid budget
post #14 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post
Some questions I'm sure are going to be asked soon might as well get them on the first page.

What advantage do high efficiency, large woofer speakers have?

The ability to play very loud and clean with minimum amounts of power. The MTM-210 will be capable of 119-120 of output with only 120watts of amplification

Are these speakers bright, I heard horns are bright or annoying?
My understanding is wave guides are very smooth and flat, which should be good for both music and home theater.]

What amplification is recommended normal receiver, high end receiver, dedicated amps? How much power (watts) is a good minimum?

Any AVR with little as 50watts per channel will drive these speakers to very loud levels. 64watts a channel will drive the MTM-201 to 116db, or 113db with the 101.

Why is the frequency response only 70hz-20khz? Why not aim for a deeper response?

Majority of todays home theater systems utilize a subwoofer to handle the deep bass region. So there is not much need to build a speaker for deeper extension. Also by doing this increases the speakers efficiency and ability to play ultra clean at high output levels.

Can I cross these speakers over at 80hz?

Most definitely...that is the crossover THX recommends for the mains speakers anyway.

Can I run these speakers without a subwoofer?

Sure you can, there just will not be much deep bass output. Just gobs of tight midbass slam.

What PSA sub woofers(s)should I pair these speakers with?

Any model of PSA sub should work well with these speakers

What should I pick for my front three speakers (MT110 vs MT210)?

Looking at the specs, the MT110 should keep up with most peoples demands being reference capable with only 100watts of power, However for those that have multiple subwoofers and listen at extreme levels, the 201 should be considered.

Will you be offering stands sense these speakers are large and or heavy?

Good question! I hope a wall bracket would possibly be available for the 101's being utilized for surround duty.

That should get us started and some of the most basic questions out of the way.
I answered some questions in Bold.
post #15 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
LOl thanks. I just figured people would ask Tom all of these questions I figure we get them out out of the way right now.

ShaunH
post #16 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Ok, so I have a question for you Tom/Jim that I feel you guys should be able to answer very well. I have the MBS-01's anchoring the FR/FL of my system. Considering that you guys designed and built both of these sets, I'm very curious as to how these would directly compare to what i have. I absolutely love my MBS's and couldn't imagine replacing them, but of course i am tempted by the latest and greatest. unfortunately, the MBS's are too large to swap out for my rears as i currently have to hang them from the wall since my furniture is in here pretty tight. not sure if they would blend well anyhow. so, basically i would love to hear your take on differences in sound, extension, and efficiency between these two models, and how you figure the two would stack up against each other. Im also curious about a future center channel to match these. i understand the mtm could be used in such a manner, but looking at my MBS's and the size of that cabinet, i couldn't imagine using the PSA (being slightly larger) on it's side for a center. it would probably cover the bottom 1/4 of the screen and just look ridiculous. lol. no waf, but my AF.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #17 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Up front it does, but there's a reason for the price difference and the 228 weighing 20lbs more.
Anyone know if what the cabinets of the new PSA speakers are made of? MDF or Baltic birch?

I know that Jeff is first in line for some of these so I look forward to his impressions!
MDF. If anyone believes weight = absolute indicator of sound quality we can put a 20lb weight in each cabinet and charge a few hundred more----just let us know..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #18 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes the possible "2999.00 preorder pricing" for 3 MTM-210 and 2 MTM-110 looks like a very solid deal. I am tempted to make the switch to high efficiency speakers.
If you are happy with your current speakers I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade. However, you can also just try a 2.0 system for convenience sake. Let's face it, if you love the sound from the 2.0 system...chances are about 100% you'll also enjoy a 5.0/7.0 system as well..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #19 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
MDF. If anyone believes weight = absolute indicator of sound quality we can put a 20lb weight in each cabinet and charge a few hundred more----just let us know..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I wasn't suggesting that weight had anything to do with sound quality. But they are similar sizes, use similar components and MDF is heavier then Baltic birch so I'm curious as to where the 20lbs difference comes from.
post #20 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
Ok, so I have a question for you Tom/Jim that I feel you guys should be able to answer very well. I have the MBS-01's anchoring the FR/FL of my system. Considering that you guys designed and built both of these sets, I'm very curious as to how these would directly compare to what i have. I absolutely love my MBS's and couldn't imagine replacing them, but of course i am tempted by the latest and greatest. unfortunately, the MBS's are too large to swap out for my rears as i currently have to hang them from the wall since my furniture is in here pretty tight. not sure if they would blend well anyhow. so, basically i would love to hear your take on differences in sound, extension, and efficiency between these two models, and how you figure the two would stack up against each other. Im also curious about a future center channel to match these. i understand the mtm could be used in such a manner, but looking at my MBS's and the size of that cabinet, i couldn't imagine using the PSA (being slightly larger) on it's side for a center. it would probably cover the bottom 1/4 of the screen and just look ridiculous. lol. no waf, but my AF.

These kinds of comparisons are very difficult as we're dealing with subjective preference to a large degree. There are a few things I can answer though.

1)No new center anytime soon. For mostly on axis listening the MTM 210 is great. If you have one of those WIDE rooms with lots of off axis seating(say 30 degrees or more) you can consider the MT-110 in either orientation. The "voice match" is practically identical so anyone can mix/match the 210 and 110 to best fit their individual needs.

2)if neither of the center options would fit for you considering a complete 5.0 or 7.0 system is likely a non starter. However if you key seating is close to equidistant to the main L/R you can also consider the "phantom center" option(no center speaker).

3)I probably wouldn't try to mix/match the MBS stuff with our speakers. There is just such a discrepancy in ultimate performance targets...I don't see it ending well.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #21 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Depending on the pricing I might try and audition these against the CX-10's that are getting delivered to my house next week. Stupid budget
30 day audition, free shipping both ways....might as well give them a listen. Just pre order a couple of MT 110s.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #22 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 AM

thanks for the response tom. understanding they are two totally different setups, but knowing both very well...would you say that they are at least in the same class, or would the new PSA offering be that much of a step up? i understand that sound is subjective, just asking about the parts/materials/crossover ect. the MBS's were in about the same price point when i got them, so just wondering if i would notice as much of a difference between the two. i feel like the PSA's may add a little more mid bass punch based on the larger drive and tuning point?
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #23 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
thanks for the response tom. understanding they are two totally different setups, but knowing both very well...would you say that they are at least in the same class, or would the new PSA offering be that much of a step up? i understand that sound is subjective, just asking about the parts/materials/crossover ect. the MBS's were in about the same price point when i got them, so just wondering if i would notice as much of a difference between the two. i feel like the PSA's may add a little more mid bass punch based on the larger drive and tuning point?
With 1 watt of power the MTM-210 will play almost 10db louder then the MBS-01. To translate that further, 1 watt of power will drive the 210 within 7db of reference. Or let's say you are watching a movies @ MV -7, the 210's would only be using 1watt of power to play at that volume.

To further put things into perspective.

The MBS-01 needs 64 watts to play 105db

The MTM-210 needs 8 watts 4.5 watts to play 105db.

Last edited by basshead81; 09-13-2014 at 11:17 AM.
post #24 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not Tom but,The biggest issue will likely be the huge difference in efficiency and the maximum SPL capacity. The MBS will likely be running out of steam long before the new PSA MT speakers will be even compressing.

ShaunH
post #25 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
With 1 watt of power the MTM-210 will play almost 10db louder then the MBS-01. To translate that further, 1 watt of power will drive the 210 within 7db of reference. Or let's say you are watching a movies @ MV -7, the 210's would only be using 1watt of power to play at that volume.

To further put things into perspective.

The MBS-01 needs 64 watts to play 105db

The MTM-210 needs 8 watts 4.5 watts to play 105db.
wow, talk about a huge difference. that's crazy.
post #26 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Welcome to the world of high efficiency speakers....lol
post #27 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup, pretty much spot on.

I would only add a few things.

1)When going from standard efficiency (say 85-88dB) to a quality design with much higher efficiency there are usually a few differences that are noticed by many listeners. The main difference is a much greater sense of nuance or micro-details that suddenly become audible. You may pop in a music CD you have heard a MILLION times and suddenly notice details you have never noticed before. Also, at louder volume levels you may find the entire audio presentations becomes more dynamic and life like. This is particularly true if you are using a receiver/amp with low to moderate amplification capabilities. If you have 500w mono blocks on each channel...this wouldn't be a factor..

2)Both models are very close to 60hz using he industry standard +/- 3dB. We'll post a bunch of FR stuff in the upcoming weeks.

3)we won't be offering any stands or mounts though our website. But we will have a short list with links to the products we recommend for each application

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Frank D, oneeyeblind and ahblaza like this.
post #28 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Exactly...one can still reach those levels with traditional 88-90db efficient speakers using high power amplification(being the speaker is capable), but for those that do not want to invest in external power amps, a standard AVR will run play these speakers louder/cleaner then my Polk RTI-A7's with a Adcom GFA-555II(300x2).

For instance my RTI-A7 a fairly efficient for a brick and mortar tower @ almost 90db efficiency. With 300 watts of power they are maxed around 114-115db(1m). That gives me 10db of headroom. So crossed at 80hz they will just barely play reference at my MLP of 15ft.

The MTM -201 with half the power(150watts) will play 121db(1m). That is 16db of headroom, so these speakers should play 105db in most rooms with ease. These would play reference easily in my room.

That is the beauty of ultra high efficient speakers. Now if you do not listen at or near reference and you are happy with your speakers then upgrading may not be needed. Just note it has been said that a speaker capable of producing reference output clean does not sound as loud as a speakers that struggles and compresses to play reference clean. So with these speakers you might find yourself listening at higher levels with less fatigue.
Frank D, ahblaza and sealmaniac like this.
post #29 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I still have a 3.0 MBS system in a room at home(the nice ORIGINAL crossovers too). They sound very good. I would say the louder you push the system the more likely you will feel there are audible benefits to a quality high efficiency design. The components used in the MSB design were all very good quality. Really, if you are happy with their performance I wouldn't stress about our new speakers. You know what they say in the NBA....some of the best trades are the ones you never make..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #30 of 1021 Old 09-13-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep....this is one of the biggest reasons why you read folks mentioning that they do not listen at reference. It is because their speakers more then likely struggle to play at that volume cleanly which adds unwanted harmonics and compression to the fundamental making the sound harsh, fatiguing, and louder then it really is.
Frank D likes this.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page