• 1 Post By javanpohl

post #1 of 14 Old 09-12-2014, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
GoldenEar Atmos Demo at CEDIA 2014

There are no fewer than eleven Dolby Atmos demos at CEDIA 2014, and I’ve made it my goal to check them all out. So far, the demo that impressed me the most is GoldenEar’s. It conveyed a true sense of immersion, a 3D hemisphere where sounds floated freely, all rendered with tremendous precision.

Sandy's Atmos demo did not lack power, which came from three Pass Labs amps.

GoldenEar founder and famed speaker designer Sandy Gross ran the demo, with a with a Integra DHC-80.6 pre/pro providing Atmos processing. I listened to several produced by Dolby to show off Atmos, which by design take maximum advantage of the system’s capabilities. I found that during the Leaf clip I was able to judge the distance as well as direction of the different sounds, making them seem quite real.

The cinematic Atmos demo consisted of a clip from Transformers: Age of Extinction, which happens to be the first Blu-ray title released with an Atmos sountrack. The system managed to render the ridiculously complex on-screen CGI mayhem with incredible detail and realism. Most importantly, all of the speakers remained invisible, so to speak. Kudo’s to Sandy’s system, it offers seriously visceral impact. I was especially impressed with how well the Invisa HTR-7000 in-ceiling speakers worked in the 5.1.4 Atmos setup. According to Sandy, the angled design of the HDR-7000s allows them to cover more of the seating area, enhancing the seamlessness of the Atmos effect. Dolby made it clear that wide dispersion is a desirable trait for the ceiling speakers, and the GoldenEar demo provided ample proof that’s true.

The demo included an Atmos mix of Enrique Iglesias’ "Bailando" that’s become somewhat of a show favorite. Once again, the GoldenEar system’s rendition of the content was notably exceptional. Without question, it is the first Atmos demo that proved to me how much potential the new format holds. Now, I’m curious if any of the demo’s I’ve yet to experience can top this one. Others have already tried and failed.

The speaker system used for the demo consisted of two Triton One towers (L/R Main), one SuperCenter XL (center), four HTR-7000 in-ceiling speakers, and two Triton Two towers (L/R surrounds). Frankly it was some of the very best bass I heard at the show. The total retail price for that speaker package is $10,800.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

AVS Coverage of CEDIA Expo 2014

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by imagic; 09-19-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-12-2014, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Mark, what AVR is Sandy using? Are any of these Atmos demos letting you hear the LF and RF speakers just play 2 channel Stereo? I find it helpful when judging a set-up and knowing it's capabilities.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-13-2014, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Mark, what AVR is Sandy using? Are any of these Atmos demos letting you hear the LF and RF speakers just play 2 channel Stereo? I find it helpful when judging a set-up and knowing it's capabilities.
Sandy was not happy to be using an AVR, as he had sought out a pre/pro solution. He wound up using a top of the line Integra AVR, I can stop by and grab the model number. I have not heard any Atmos demos that also demonstrate 2-channel.

Sandy used a with a Integra DHC-80.6 pre/pro.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by imagic; 09-19-2014 at 07:27 AM.
post #4 of 14 Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Sandy was not happy to be using an AVR, as he had sought out a pre/pro solution. He wound up using a top of the line Integra AVR, I can stop by and grab the model number. I have not heard any Atmos demos that also demonstrate 2-channel.
I am very curious to know what avr or pre pro he was using . As far as i know only denon has atmos enabled receivers currently available. I would assume he had access to equipment not yet available to the general public. I am considering upgrading my current goldenear system to atmos in the very near future.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

post #5 of 14 Old 09-14-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Mark, what AVR is Sandy using?
Sandy ended up using an Integra DHC-80.6 pre/pro. I found this out when I finally heard the GoldenEars demo—the last one of the show for me. It was spectacular.
Spizz, imagic and Bigham16 like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #6 of 14 Old 09-14-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Sandy ended up using an Integra DHC-80.6 pre/pro. I found this out when I finally heard the GoldenEars demo—the last one of the show for me. It was spectacular.
Scott, did do you attribute the spectacular sound due to the GoldenEar speakers putting out "better" sound than the other speakers in the Atmos demos or did GoldenEar set up a layout with more precision to achieve this spectacular sound?
Spizz and imagic like this.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Scott, did do you attribute the spectacular sound due to the GoldenEar speakers putting out "better" sound than the other speakers in the Atmos demos or did GoldenEar set up a layout with more precision to achieve this spectacular sound?
I think it was a combination of both. GoldenEar speakers are really great, and Sandy laid out the system extremely well.
imagic likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #8 of 14 Old 09-14-2014, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
+1 I would like to know this also........
post #9 of 14 Old 09-14-2014, 08:45 PM

With high velocity folded ribbon tweeters for all the speakers including the ceilings, an excellent approach for smooth travel of sound.
imagic likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-15-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I attended this demo as well. I thought the sound was quite good in general.

Am I the only one that noticed, however, that the video in the Transformers clip was just awful? It seemed like it was a few edits away from a finished product (like some deleted scenes in bonus features that they just didn't finish because they weren't going to use them). The CGI effects looked totally fake, cartoony and like they were produced ten years ago. I didn't think the audio was particularly good in that clip either.

When I was at Denon/Marantz, their guy running the Atmos demo offered, unsolicited, that he understood that the audio for that clip on that demo disc was not right, not mastered or authored correctly or something like that. So they didn't play it.

post #11 of 14 Old 09-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

The speaker system used for the demo consisted of two Triton One towers (L/R Main), one SuperCenter XL (center), four HTR-7000 in-ceiling speakers, and two Triton Two towers (L/R surrounds). Frankly it was some of the very best bass I heard at the show. The total retail price for that speaker package is $10,800.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

AVS Coverage of CEDIA Expo 2014
Do you know how he crossed the system over. Did he use the subs only in his speakers are was their a stand alone sub used. I ask just to understand you use of the 5.1.4 and if just the speakers used and no sub.
Allen
Thanks
post #12 of 14 Old 09-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post
Do you know how he crossed the system over. Did he use the subs only in his speakers are was their a stand alone sub used. I ask just to understand you use of the 5.1.4 and if just the speakers used and no sub.
Allen
Thanks
No outboard subs. They had the pair of Triton One up front and a pair of Triton Two for surrounds, and all four of those were running the LFE signal (and, I assume, bass from the bass-managed center and ceiling speakers).

post #13 of 14 Old 09-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks, the triton ones must be a really good speaker. I have always wanted to hear some golden ear speakers. With the system being driven with pass lab amps couldn't hurt either.
Allen
imagic likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-19-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I also checked out this demo and I'm inclined to say that it was the speakers themselves that were responsible for the amazing sound. They didn't have any huge advantages in terms of lay-out. They didn't even have side-surround speakers, but that didn't seem to be a hindrance at all. Most of what made this presentation so effective, to me, was the amazing sound-staging abilities of the speakers. It was like each one was a wall of sound. The speakers had great imaging without being too easy to localize.

The only downside I noticed in this demo, and this could've been due to a variety of factors (calibration, the room, my seating position, etc), was that the overhead speakers lacked the airy and detailed treble of the main speakers. So overhead pans changed a bit in tonality, it was particularly noticeable with the jungle trailer they showed. Of course, I'm sure there are more commas in the price tag for the tower speakers than there are for those ceiling speakers I'm also real picky on timbre matching.
imagic likes this.
Reply Speakers

Tags
cedia 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page