Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do you think of these speakers?

When I started this morning I was very confused trying to pick out speakers. Picking a receiver was easy, but I didn't realize I would have to find my own speakers (in most cases).

I went on Crutchfield and the live chat guy initially recommended a PSB Alpha HT1 system.

After informing him I was leaning towards buying individual speakers he suggested :

Fronts: Polk RTI A1
Center: Polk CSI A4
Rears: Polk TL2 (I told him I was thinking of going small for the rears at least initially, might upgrade later)
Subwoofer: Polk PSW110

Recever: Yamaha RX-V675 or Denon AVR-X2000

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 463
What is your overall budget and room size? You can get the previous Polk RTi series which is essentially the same as the RTiA series, for much less at their official Ebay store. Polk subs are not good and I would avoid them. Either receiver is fine, I would lean towards the Denon though.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #3 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I am personally a fan of Polk's I have the RTi4's(previous version of RTi A1's and sound identical to the A1's) and CSi3(previous version of CSi A4's)

Not a fan of Polk subwoofers the only PSW I felt was decent was the PSW505 for $200 any more its not worth the money.

Save some bucks and buy from Polk Audio's ebay store.
-Polk RTi4's bookshelf pair, $175 shipped
-Polk CSi3 center, $144 shipped
-Use Polk OWM3's as surrounds they are easily mounted, non intrusive and are alot better that TL2's, for $90 shipped for a pair. they also come in white

As for receivers I personally like the Denon name over the Yamaha and the x2000 is a great receiver.

As for subwoofer once I know your budget I'll be able to recommend you something but it won't be coming from Polk most likely
post #4 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, glad I took the time to post.

The room is smallish 16'x13'. The budget is rather open ended, it's all going on a no interest credit card. I'd rather spend a more now than save a couple hundred bucks and need to/want to upgrade and spend more in a few years.

Thanks for the recommendations on alternatives, I'm on my phone now so I'll look at them closer after work on my computer.

And good to hear now that Polka subs aren't good. I shouldn't have any problems with Timbre matching with a different brand?

Last edited by EvanVanVan; 09-16-2014 at 10:49 AM.
post #5 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, glad I bothered posting.

The room is smallish 16'x13'. The budget is rather open ended, it's all going on a no interest credit card. I'd rather spend a more now than save a couple hundred bucks and need to/want to upgrade and spend more in a few years.

Thanks for the recommendations on alternatives, I'm on my phone now so I'll look at them closer after work on my computer.

And good to hear now that Polka subs aren't good. I shouldn't have any problems with Timbre matching with a different brand?
Timbre matching is only really necessary with your front three speakers, the surrounds are less important, and the subs even less so. I would look at the SVS PB-1000, excellent subwoofer that gets your accurate sub-20Hz bass and will work well in that size room.
crazyrob425 likes this.

post #6 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
And good to hear now that Polka subs aren't good.
The Outlaw LFM-1 Plus sub is on sale - really need to look at that
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The Outlaw LFM-1 Plus sub is on sale - really need to look at that
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html
x2 The Outlaw LFM-1 Plus is an amazing deal for $500 subwoofer price on sale til 9/22. It will have more output than the PB-1000.

To the OP-
What are your size requirements for these speakers? Cause you coud go bigger. Polk Has the RTi6's which are similar to the A3's and they have a CSi5 center similar to the A6
post #8 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
What is your overall budget and room size? You can get the previous Polk RTi series which is essentially the same as the RTiA series, for much less at their official Ebay store. Polk subs are not good and I would avoid them. Either receiver is fine, I would lean towards the Denon though.
I see in another thread you recommended the user upgrade from the RTi4 to the the RTi6. They're only $40 more on the ebay store. The user's room size was similar to mine.

Thanks for the suggestion of the eBay store people, it does seem like it's a lot cheaper especially since I don't really care about the difference between this years model and last years.

So now I'm thinking:

RTi4 or 6
CSi3
OWM3

Unsure which of the two recommended subwoofers to go with though. Both the SVS PB-1000 and the Outlaw LFM-1 seemed to mostly be sold only from the manufacturer so it's hard to find reviews (read: check them on Amazon). Both seem to be $499, although as zieglj01 said the Outlaw is on sale (down from *what number* I don't know). Edit: and 30 seconds later of googling I find SVS PB1000 vs Outlaw LFM-1 Plus - Looks like the Outlaw is the nicer sub.

And the Denon receiver which was already much cheaper on Crutchfield than Amazon (I have $47 off in rewards points on Crutchfield so I want to use it on at least one thing).

Last edited by EvanVanVan; 09-16-2014 at 06:09 PM.
post #9 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
x2 The Outlaw LFM-1 Plus is an amazing deal for $500 subwoofer price on sale til 9/22. It will have more output than the PB-1000.

To the OP-
What are your size requirements for these speakers? Cause you coud go bigger. Polk Has the RTi6's which are similar to the A3's and they have a CSi5 center similar to the A6
I just posted that question about the RTi4 or 6s (I guess I was writing that post out for 20+ minutes because you hadn't replied yet when I started it).

Yeah, thanks for the upgrade/alternatives. I don't have size requirements truly, but as I said, I'd rather spend a little more now than (what I see as) "waste" money buying something now just to upgrade it in a couple years.
post #10 of 34 Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Damn, the biggest problem with buying this stuff on eBay instead of Amazon/Crutchfield is I have to put it on an interest bearing credit card...Same thing with the $500 subwoofer from Outlaw lol...
post #11 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I would definitely jump up to the RTi6 and CSi5, if you get the bigger bookshelves you should get the bigger center as well. I keep forgetting about the Outlaw sale, but definitely go with that over the PB-1000, it will have better output and dig a little deeper.

post #12 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Cool thanks, I placed the order last night. Was even able to use PayPal credit to get the RTi4 and CSi5 speakers from the eBay store.

Idk why I went with the RTi4s instead of the RTi6s, I'm pretty sure I meant to order the 6s. I placed the order at 1am this morning. I just called Polk and left a message to see if I could upgrade to the RTi6s.

As of now I went with:

RTi4
CSi5
TL2s (Most of the reviews preferred them over the OWM3s)
Outlaw LFM-1
Denon AVR-X2000

Thanks for the help, hopefully if they can't change the order the RTi4+CSi5 pairing isn't a problem.

I need to find mounts of some sort. The TL2s are going to be mounted, and I might mount one of the RTi4/6s.

Last edited by EvanVanVan; 09-17-2014 at 09:45 AM.
post #13 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

It's not a huge issue, but if you can get them changed I definitely would.

post #14 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Nice, they got back to me and upgraded them. If they ship from Maryland, I hope they're here by Friday.
post #15 of 34 Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nice, they got back to me and upgraded them. If they ship from Maryland, I hope they're here by Friday.
That's great! Let us know what you think when you get them.

post #16 of 34 Old 09-21-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

I was going to start a new thread, but figured why clutter things up...

Do I need an amp of some sort?

The corrected list of components:

Fronts: Polk RTi6
Center: Polk CSi5
Rears: Polk TL2s
Subwoofer: Outlaw LFM-1
Receiver: Denon AVR-X2000

Now I know nothing about speakers/subs/etc, so I don't know how amp requirements are calculated. No one mentioned anything in here so I just wanted to clarify.

I was searching "how not to blow speakers" and the answer seemed to be make sure your stuff has sufficient power. If you have any tips on that note, they would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
post #17 of 34 Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was going to start a new thread, but figured why clutter things up...

Do I need an amp of some sort?

The corrected list of components:

Fronts: Polk RTi6
Center: Polk CSi5
Rears: Polk TL2s
Subwoofer: Outlaw LFM-1
Receiver: Denon AVR-X2000

Now I know nothing about speakers/subs/etc, so I don't know how amp requirements are calculated. No one mentioned anything in here so I just wanted to clarify.

I was searching "how not to blow speakers" and the answer seemed to be make sure your stuff has sufficient power. If you have any tips on that note, they would be appreciated as well.

Thanks
No you don't need an amp the Denon AVR-x2000 built in amps will have plenty of power for your speakers.

Since you have no experience. Read the manual to the Denon AVR-x2000 cover to cover multiple times. It will help you understand and learn a bit. Read the manual that comes with the other speakers too. The receiver manual will have step by step instuctions to get you started

Honestly I am still very against the TL2's when comparing to the OWM3's. They are very small and require a much higher crossover (150hz) than your others speakers which can create an audible difference in sound at least with the OWM3's they can handle 100hz.

Did you purchase speaker wire? I'd suggest 100ft of 14ga or 16ga speaker wire.

Do you have a subwoofer cable?

As for mounting the RTi6's and TL2's, simple dry-wall anchor (16lb support) and hang them on the bracket.
post #18 of 34 Old 09-22-2014, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
No you don't need an amp the Denon AVR-x2000 built in amps will have plenty of power for your speakers.

Since you have no experience. Read the manual to the Denon AVR-x2000 cover to cover multiple times. It will help you understand and learn a bit. Read the manual that comes with the other speakers too. The receiver manual will have step by step instuctions to get you started

Honestly I am still very against the TL2's when comparing to the OWM3's. They are very small and require a much higher crossover (150hz) than your others speakers which can create an audible difference in sound at least with the OWM3's they can handle 100hz.

Did you purchase speaker wire? I'd suggest 100ft of 14ga or 16ga speaker wire.

Do you have a subwoofer cable?

As for mounting the RTi6's and TL2's, simple dry-wall anchor (16lb support) and hang them on the bracket.
Thanks for the reply, I will crack open that manual tonight since the RTi6s and CSi5 aren't getting here until tomorrow.

I did get 100 ft of pure copper 16ga wire from Amazon, a subwoofer cable from Monoprice, and a few mounting brackets from Amazon (RTi6s and CSi5).

Hmm, about the TL2's over the OWM3's, most places I read said they were the better speakers, I wasn't thinking about the compatibility issues since they were all Polk. Crutchfield has a 60 day return policy, so I'll try them, keep them clean/new, and if I notice any problems are anything I can always return them.
post #19 of 34 Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I will crack open that manual tonight since the RTi6s and CSi5 aren't getting here until tomorrow.

I did get 100 ft of pure copper 16ga wire from Amazon, a subwoofer cable from Monoprice, and a few mounting brackets from Amazon (RTi6s and CSi5).

Hmm, about the TL2's over the OWM3's, most places I read said they were the better speakers, I wasn't thinking about the compatibility issues since they were all Polk. Crutchfield has a 60 day return policy, so I'll try them, keep them clean/new, and if I notice any problems are anything I can always return them.
Neither of those mounting brackets will work for your RTi6's or CSi5's!!!!
A single Polk RTi6 is 17lbs. Those plastic brackets only support 10lbs max, and in reality its much less.

The thing you selected for the CSi5 only expands 11 inches max, the CSi5 is 24 inches wide.
It would however work for the RTi6's, as it supports up to 33lbs.

Where are you reading that the TL2's are a better selection over the OWM3's? My guess is they have something to gain by saying such cause already the TL2's are more expensive than the OWM3's and you are getting less of a speaker.
The OWM3 has a bigger mid range driver at 4.5" and a bigger 1" silk dome tweeter similar to the RTi6's and CSi5. The TL2's require a crossover of around 130-150hz where the OWM3's can handle 100hz. Also the OWM3 have a boat load more mounting options than the TL2's and will alow for a bigger sound and give you a better surround experience. Finally the OWM3's are significantly cheaper as they are sold in pairs not singles like the TL2

If you want to simply mount the the RTi6's to the wall use the built in Keyhole mounting plate with a dry wall anchor like this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-Ancor...5310/100040265 if you can't line up with a stud. Its as simple is putting a screw in the wall.
post #20 of 34 Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry my mistake, the 10lb brackets were for the TL2s, and the other bookshelf bracket was for the RTi6. The CSi5 wasn't going to be mounted at all.

I believe it was a thread here where I found googling TL2s vs OWM3s, but I'm on my phone at work and can't look now. It's not a problem to return and rebuy, thanks for the advice (again).
post #21 of 34 Old 09-22-2014, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Damn that manual was dense... I'm assuming as I am setting up the receiver and going through the manual page by page it won't be as bad, right now there is just a lot to remember to setup. Mostly on turning off any of the HDMI/video/picture adjust stuff since I've pretty painstakingly adjusted all of the HDMI input settings on my TV (Samsung plasma). Any thoughts on using the Audyssey auto setup, vs manually adjusting settings?

Since I did save $100, and exchanged the TL2s for OWM3s I'm also thinking about buying a second set of OWM3s to get the full 7.1 effect. My only hesitation is I think the majority of my movies (mkvs) only have DTS which is only 5.1 (I think?). Also pretty stoked to see that Crutchfield is no longer selling the Denon x2000 receiver I just bought from them. I must have gotten their last one which was why they were selling it for $150 less than Amazon. I saved a s***load on this setup it looks like, thanks to all the tips in this thread.
post #22 of 34 Old 09-22-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I would use Audyssey since you are a newbie. If you want additional help after that post the settings which Audyssey made so we can tell you if you need to change anything.

Just stick with 5.1 for the time being.
post #23 of 34 Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Damn that manual was dense... I'm assuming as I am setting up the receiver and going through the manual page by page it won't be as bad, right now there is just a lot to remember to setup.
LOL. I have the same AVR as you, and I thought to myself, "Over 200 pages? Are you kidding me?!" Turns out it's all pictures, and pictures are worth a thousand words, plus it's color-coded. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, so you won't have many problems setting everything up. You also have a decent Audyssey setup (8-position setup) and it did well in my room, although minor adjustments are usually necessary. Best of luck on your new system, and let us know how everything sounds.
post #24 of 34 Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Minor point: When doing the sub crawl it is important to have someone else around (wife, kid, sarcastic friend) to make fun of you while you do it.

With the Outlaw LFM-1 you'll need to set it in your MLP upside down and elevated a bit to get the driver at your seated ear level. (use a tape measure) And because that sub is down firing you will need to be a bit lower while crawling around.

Have fun
post #25 of 34 Old 09-23-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boden View Post
With the Outlaw LFM-1 you'll need to set it in your MLP upside down and elevated a bit to get the driver at your seated ear level. (use a tape measure) And because that sub is down firing you will need to be a bit lower while crawling around.
Yeah...most of that went right over my head. MLP = Major Listening Point? Turn the whole woofer upside down on my seat? I haven't yet broken into the Outlaw manual, I did look at it and saw it was only 4-6 pages and was relieved.

I got 16awg stranded pure copper wire (Cable Matters). The OWM3's have a supposed impedance of 8ohms, but I read in reality most speakers are less than that. Looking at the chart here for distances: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable. Am I ok going with the 36' (supposed max for 6ohms)? If I try to hold it to 24' (4ohms) it's going to be very close, and make hiding the wire near impossible.
post #26 of 34 Old 09-23-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah...most of that went right over my head. MLP = Major Listening Point? Turn the whole woofer upside down on my seat? I haven't yet broken into the Outlaw manual, I did look at it and saw it was only 4-6 pages and was relieved.

I got 16awg stranded pure copper wire (Cable Matters). The OWM3's have a supposed impedance of 8ohms, but I read in reality most speakers are less than that. Looking at the chart here for distances: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable. Am I ok going with the 36' (supposed max for 6ohms)? If I try to hold it to 24' (4ohms) it's going to be very close, and make hiding the wire near impossible.

sorry... MLP is main listening position. (where you sit)
Look up "subwoofer crawl"

I use 12awg low voltage landscape lighting wire from lowes or home depot. works as well as anything else. http://www.lowes.com/pd_219932-295-5...ire&facetInfo=

The cable length will not matter as long as all the runs are under 50ft. Basically cut them to length you'll be fine.
post #27 of 34 Old 09-23-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the video.
post #28 of 34 Old 09-24-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Holy $***! This stuff is big. The fronts, big. The center speaker, huge. That subwoofer, MASSIVE. It's all way too big for my living room lol. I'm sure it'll be fine once it's set up, but right now it's sort of intimidating.

It also screws up some of my original plans for where to mount/put the front and center speakers. One of the fronts is a little too deep for the shelves on the side of my TV, the other a little too big for the space between the TV and the door next to it.

I have two options, 1. Mount the front's up higher than I originally planned, Idk how badly that affects the surround sound effect. Or 2, mount them on either side of the fireplace that the TV is mounted above.

I'd probably prefer the second option, I would need to order another mount. The only problem I can possible see is the speakers would only be a little less than 5' from each other and 2'6" from the center of the center speaker. The MLP is 10' away, so some quick calculations, and that's only a 14° angle to the fronts. Not quite as large as it should be.

Thoughts or suggestions on either of those placements?

Thanks

Edit: FYI, we haven't used the fireplace in years. At some point I had planned on it, but hey sometimes plans change if they must.

Edit2: Honestly the the stuff might be too big for the front of the fireplace, it may have to go up high. Lol when people asked what my size restraints were, I didn't realize exactly what they were referring too hahah.

Last edited by EvanVanVan; 09-24-2014 at 05:20 PM.
post #29 of 34 Old 09-24-2014, 05:19 PM

A few photos of the room would help.
post #30 of 34 Old 09-24-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boden View Post
A few photos of the room would help.
Good idea, will do tomorrow when the lighting in here is better.

What's with the subwoofer sock? The quality looks to good to just be temporary.
Reply Speakers