The Official Welton Pro Studio Mach II Speaker Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-20-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Official Welton Pro Studio Mach II Speaker Owners Thread

These absolutely huge speakers are abundant used, and no longer made. They were sold by Rent A Centers nationwide, and made in the Dallas, Texas area. They are NOT "white van speakers", as some may think. There were at least 2 Pro Studio Mach II Speaker models made, one with the square horn, and one with a Conical Horn.
I own the square ones, but am working on a deal to get some round horn ones, to see what I like better.
They are 52 inches tall, and sport a pair of pretty long throw 15 inch drivers in each speaker.

I too "dismissed" these things, after all, how could they be any good ?
But I came across a picture of the Pro Studio Mach 2 with the round horn, and I said to myself "WTF, that's a freaking low coloration Conical Horn, on a cheap speaker" !

Someone beat me to the conical horn ones, so I "settled" for the big square horn ones. This big square horn is larger then the horn in the Klipsch RF 7 series II

These speakers also have REAL Crossovers, with Mylar Capacitors, and non saturating air core coils!

So, I took them home, and hooked these guys up. Unequalized, I was not crazy about them. They had a quite shrill coloration on some female voices, and little bass, for such a big speaker. I added some bass and treble boost (3 db) and it was better.
Then, I ran the EZ Set automatic Equalizer on my Harman Kardon AVR 3600 receiver, and holy fuk!

I have watched both The Chronicles Of Riddick and Tranformers Revenge, and I have to tell you, it was stunning.
It has been a long time since I have had such a powerful, wide bandwidth speaker in my home.
I had to run them in phantom center channel mode, because my existing center can not keep up with the big speakers from Texas!

On music, they do not have the low coloration of my old B&W 801 Matrix speakers, nor the smoothness of my old Vandersteen 2CE Signatures, and they do not image like either of these speakers either.

But what they do is kick unadulterated ass, and do so in a highly musical, effortless way.

I have a Mitsubishi 73 inch HDTV, and they actually look kind of cool next to that big TV.
My listening room is 24 wide by 20 feet deep.
It has been awhile since I have felt my room shudder, and the Pro Studio Mach II Speakers will do exactly that.

These big speakers from Texas are a lot of fun . Perfect, they are not, but they make me want to listen to them.

Here are some pictures of both the square horn Pro Studio Mach II's, and the ones with the round Conical Horns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pro-studio-speakers.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	271914   Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers-780504.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	271922   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	271930   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57 (4).JPG
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	271938   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57 (2).JPG
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	271946  

Name:	$_57 (1).JPG
Views:	11
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	271954  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-20-2014, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
These seem to be another type of Welton Pro Studio Speakers, with conventional direct radiator drivers, vs horns
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...272698&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SC417-19.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	272698  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page